Game's closing down thirteen stores - and 108 open for Black Friday

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Joined
May 24, 2010
Messages
10,412
Game's plan to close down thirteen stores

Game has not yet initiated closure procedures at three of the remaining stores it selected to close down, the retailer's parent company Massmart has told MyBroadband.

In September 2022, Game announced it would run clearance sales at an initial eight of thirteen underperforming sites identified for closure.
 

rvZA

Honorary Master
Joined
Jan 3, 2021
Messages
16,594
A lot of jobs will be lost. A lot less tax income for SARS. I already see Kieswetter & Co looking for all those 'big corporate tax dodgers' next year..... Oh and also see another CR trip to the UK to beg the King for even more compensation....
 

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 15, 2011
Messages
37,560
A lot of jobs will be lost. A lot less tax income for SARS. I already see Kieswetter & Co looking for all those 'big corporate tax dodgers' next year..... Oh and also see another CR trip to the UK to beg the King for even more compensation....
“Two of the five remaining Game stores identified for closure have remained closed since the looting in July 2021, and those staff were re-deployed to other stores,” Massmart told MyBroadband.
What are you smoking?
 

rvZA

Honorary Master
Joined
Jan 3, 2021
Messages
16,594
What are you smoking?

Did you read only half way or like your a$$?

You mention about the staff of two stores, but what about the 700 of the next 8 stores?

The first eight stores the company will shut down are:

  • Game Bel-Air in Northriding, Gauteng
  • Game CBD in Cape Town, Western Cape
  • Game Gilwell in East London, Eastern Cape
  • Game Greenstone in Modderfontein, Gauteng
  • Game Hazyview in Mpumalanga
  • Game Mall of the South in Johannesburg South, Gauteng
  • Game Ulundi in KwaZulu-Natal
  • Game Westwood Mall in Westville, KwaZulu-Natal
Massmart previously told MyBroadband that it had initiated Section 189 consultations with the 700 affected employees three months before its closure announcement.

“As is always the case, we will apply our best efforts to identify opportunities for redeployment of the affected staff members within the broader Massmart Group,” it said.

The last paragraph is key. Not all of them will be employed afterwards.
 

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 15, 2011
Messages
37,560
A lot of jobs will be lost. A lot less tax income for SARS. I already see Kieswetter & Co looking for all those 'big corporate tax dodgers' next year..... Oh and also see another CR trip to the UK to beg the King for even more compensation....
Did you read only half way or like your a$$?

You mention about the staff of two stores, but what about the 700 of the next 8 stores?



The last paragraph is key. Not all of them will be employed afterwards.
Lol yeah sure. Bwhahahaha.
 

RedViking

Nord of the South
Joined
Feb 23, 2012
Messages
58,151
Lol... you think they will be like government and place all 700 staff members in already fully employed nearby branches? :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
It is not like they did anything. Was more like Private Grants.
 

rvZA

Honorary Master
Joined
Jan 3, 2021
Messages
16,594
Don't bother. 700 out of 60 million is a lot to Lew.

60 million employed people?

Nonetheless, for the little potato heads..... 1 person unemployed of that 700 - one can start wondering how many children did that 1 person feed who relied on the income. How many parents, brothers or sisters, husband or wife did they feed? If only 200 people loses their jobs, how many hundreds of people, if not thousands will be affected who relied on that income?

Or does this not really matter to the ANC? Someone needs to take one for the team? For freedom?

It is sad, 700 people losing jobs does not sound a lot, but those who relied on that income along with them makes that number looks like small change.
 

RedViking

Nord of the South
Joined
Feb 23, 2012
Messages
58,151
60 million employed people?

Nonetheless, for the little potato heads..... 1 person unemployed of that 700 - one can start wondering how many children did that 1 person feed who relied on the income. How many parents, brothers or sisters, husband or wife did they feed? If only 200 people loses their jobs, how many hundreds of people, if not thousands will be affected who relied on that income?

Or does this not really matter to the ANC? Someone needs to take one for the team? For freedom?

It is sad, 700 people losing jobs does not sound a lot, but those who relied on that income along with them makes that number looks like small change.
ANC is control of Massmart?
 

RedViking

Nord of the South
Joined
Feb 23, 2012
Messages
58,151
No, but definitely caused the circumstances around which this is now happening. Both economically, due to its policies, and the riots itself.
Maybe contributed slightly. Game has been going downhill for a long time because they failed to adapt. Your obsession with the ANC is hilarious though.
 

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Joined
Jun 15, 2011
Messages
37,560
60 million employed people?

Nonetheless, for the little potato heads..... 1 person unemployed of that 700 - one can start wondering how many children did that 1 person feed who relied on the income. How many parents, brothers or sisters, husband or wife did they feed? If only 200 people loses their jobs, how many hundreds of people, if not thousands will be affected who relied on that income?

Or does this not really matter to the ANC? Someone needs to take one for the team? For freedom?

It is sad, 700 people losing jobs does not sound a lot, but those who relied on that income along with them makes that number looks like small change.
Tl;Dr?
 
Top