games/toys/books/things for 1-4 year age

surface

Executive Member
I am looking for personal feedback even if I am aware that there is hardly a universal liking, especially at such a young age. Using google, I have got a huge list of things that 2-4 year old apparently like in general. Many of those things are not available locally in South africa. So, what did your 1-4 year old liked?

e.g. something like books such as Tails/Where's baby's belly button/The circus ship (the goyilla book :) are quite a hit for my boy - bed time reading. He likes to put together lego block train as well - and disassemble by throwing it the moment it is done; shape sorter was a hit for 2 days but he got bored after he figured out all the shapes. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip to pretoria zoo. and so on..

Polymathic

Honorary Master
A Tablet with one of those kid proof covers.
At that age experiential stuff is more important IMO.

What might be a good activity is making. Allowing him to put his own toppings.

cerebus

Honorary Master
1-4 year olds should be playing with shapes and learning how to manipulate and conceptualize objects. It will help them form foundational mathematical and language skills. There was a fascinating episode of 99% Invisible about this subject yesterday actually.

Also get him a balance bicycle and a truck he can pull around behind him and put blocks and stuff in. We had a Y Bike for all our kids. They can vroom around endlessly and it's easy to transition into a real bicycle when they get big enough for it.

If they have a pet it's also very good for them to play with and learn how to take care of an animal. Preferably something like a very patient dog who won't react if he gets his hair pulled a bit.

surface

Executive Member
A Tablet with one of those kid proof covers.
At that age experiential stuff is more important IMO.
According to SO's insistence, we are trying to limit screen exposure (tv/internet/phone/tablet) till as long as we can. Let us see how long. I got a kid's tablet for him (alphabet/song - prerecorded, 100 rand variety from gearbest) but didn't like it. At times, if you reintroduce stuff after 2 weeks, he likes it.

What might be a good activity is making. Allowing him to put his own toppings.
Good idea.. so far, we just tried giving him roller pin for dough etc..

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Problem with giving them some screen time it ends up with the parents using it as an excuse to get free time for them

Get puzzles as well , that works well

if you have a yard best is to get them outside

get a playgym or those rubber toys for outside

cerebus

Honorary Master
Problem with giving them some screen time it ends up with the parents using it as an excuse to get free time for them

Yeah with puzzles you build up by the number of parts. So you start with wooden puzzles that only have 4-5 parts. Once they mastered it you can move on to 10 pieces, 20 and on. Remember if a child discards a toy it means he's mastered it and he's ready for something more challenging; it doesn't mean the blocks themselves are obsolete and he needs a whole new kind of stimulation.

surface

Executive Member
if you have a yard best is to get them outside
get a playgym or those rubber toys for outside
Thanks - I think it is time to reintroduce puzzles as he seems to have gone past chewing everything phase now. We got a bit of space in garden - looking actively for some jungle gym on olx .

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Yeah with puzzles you build up by the number of parts. So you start with wooden puzzles that only have 4-5 parts. Once they mastered it you can move on to 10 pieces, 20 and on. Remember if a child discards a toy it means he's mastered it and he's ready for something more challenging; it doesn't mean the blocks themselves are obsolete and he needs a whole new kind of stimulation.
yeah my son does this

he is onto bigger puzzles now

a little fighting at 1st cause he cant do it and then he does it

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Thanks - I think it is time to reintroduce puzzles as he seems to have gone past chewing everything phase now. We got a bit of space in garden - looking actively for some jungle gym on olx .
check OLX gumtree and the likes

Remember the jungle gym is not a way to get out of the park , they need to go to the parks as well

where are you based ?

in CPT there is tons of weekend activities for the kids

surface

Executive Member
check OLX gumtree and the likes
Remember the jungle gym is not a way to get out of the park , they need to go to the parks as well
where are you based ?
in CPT there is tons of weekend activities for the kids
We are in Jozi - I doubt jozi has as many activities as Cpt but found something - https://www.gauteng.net/blog/top_10_kids_activities_in_johannesburg - except zoo, none of them really suitable to a 2 year old I think; maybe some kiddies rides at gold reef city. We will try soon.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Thanks but Sho. These are expensive these days. I will look for cheapie versions in china mall.
or check gumtree and FB marketplace for people getting rid of old toys

wash them nicely a few times and they good to go

powermzii

Expert Member
1-4 year olds should be playing with shapes and learning how to manipulate and conceptualize objects. It will help them form foundational mathematical and language skills. There was a fascinating episode of 99% Invisible about this subject yesterday actually.

Also get him a balance bicycle and a truck he can pull around behind him and put blocks and stuff in. We had a Y Bike for all our kids. They can vroom around endlessly and it's easy to transition into a real bicycle when they get big enough for it.

If they have a pet it's also very good for them to play with and learn how to take care of an animal. Preferably something like a very patient dog who won't react if he gets his hair pulled a bit.
Loved that episode, also love how Roman Mars gets excited about these things ,lol