games/toys/books/things for 1-4 year age

KT-B

Honorary Master
Imaginary play equipment such as a little house, jungle gym, pots and pans, wheelbarrow, some things he can use to dig in the garden with. Work on his large motor skills too (climbing, mixing, digging, running) as well as the small motor skills (puzzles, building, reading). Kids this age love dress-up too. Some hats, coats etc or superhero outfit (but a caution comes with that - sometimes that is all they wear. It is a phase - treat it as such and relax. They will grow out of it.)

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Superhero outfits isnt only what they wear

they start acting the part as well

surface

Executive Member
Imaginary play equipment such as a little house, jungle gym, pots and pans, wheelbarrow, some things he can use to dig in the garden with. Work on his large motor skills too (climbing, mixing, digging, running) as well as the small motor skills (puzzles, building, reading). Kids this age love dress-up too. Some hats, coats etc or superhero outfit (but a caution comes with that - sometimes that is all they wear. It is a phase - treat it as such and relax. They will grow out of it.)
Funny you say that - currently he wears a plastic bucket as a hat. It is awesome - I am going to miss it when this phase goes :cool::cool:

creeper

Expert Member
1-4 year olds should be playing with shapes and learning how to manipulate and conceptualize objects. It will help them form foundational mathematical and language skills. There was a fascinating episode of 99% Invisible about this subject yesterday actually.

Also get him a balance bicycle and a truck he can pull around behind him and put blocks and stuff in. We had a Y Bike for all our kids. They can vroom around endlessly and it's easy to transition into a real bicycle when they get big enough for it.

If they have a pet it's also very good for them to play with and learn how to take care of an animal. Preferably something like a very patient dog who won't react if he gets his hair pulled a bit.
Another 99% invincible fan. Nice.

Every kid differs. However. Boxes and blocks work well. Also soft balls. Paper to tear as it helps them with their fine motor skills.

Any toy with basic puzzles also works well

Avoid anything that can be placed fully in their mouths.

Marsie27

Pretty much anything that stretches the imagination or the muscles. Suffice to say screen time does neither.
I don't see anyone mentioning Lego/Duplo above - when family asked for present ideas those were our go-to items, with specific guidance provided to assist the choice. IMO, you are better off with half the amount than masses of the el-cheapo stuff. By the time they were 3ish our kids and grandkids were using non-Duplo Lego. I can't speak highly enough of it. It's good to use it for imaginative creations, not just making up the 'kits'.
I don't see anyone mentioning sandpits above. Those clam things are great because you can cover them against neighbourhood felines thinking it's an outdoor litter tray.
On the 'doesn't cost anything' list, a sheet or similar draped over a convenient large-ish table turns it into a house, space station, pirate ship etc etc. Good for a rainy day.
And read heaps of stories, join or visit the public library at least once a fortnight.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
What we learned is kids don't like options, they don't want to make decisions, they just want to pick up a toy and play.

All parents go through the stage of showering their kids with toys.

In the end, we found that having less worked best. We filled a small plastic bin with different toys and everything else got packed away.

Fewer toys meant fewer things to pick up for them. Fewer toys meant having to learn to reuse a toy. We also cycled through the remaining toys every few months.

We also passed on most of the toys as the kids started to outgrow them.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
or check gumtree and FB marketplace for people getting rid of old toys

wash them nicely a few times and they good to go
Dunno about other places but our local spca has great thrift shops of secondhand toys. Get some awesome bargains.

crawler

Perhaps these, my niece and nephew loved these, more for the 4 year range

View attachment 644694
1 year old age that, think my son drove that before walking

Get an ybike and then balance bike ASAP as mentioned before

Transition to bicycle much smoother then

Balls to kick thow work well

Big cars and trucks to play outside

Playsand and beach typw toys for outside

Masks and super hero outfits

Noisybottom

Lego, teaches fine motor skills, creativity and no doubt any other skills. You can build whatever you want, want a car build it, want a boat or aeroplane or spaceship or house or whatever build it, it's not just 1 toy. Also it can get added to and it's an ageless toy, I still enjoy building Lego models a different am in my 40s. And when you do tire of it there is a good 2nd hand market (keep boxes and booklets and you are well in business) yip, toy of the ages... Lego!

Noisybottom

Lego, teaches fine motor skills, creativity and no doubt any other skills. You can build whatever you want, want a car build it, want a boat or aeroplane or spaceship or house or whatever build it, it's not just 1 toy. Also it can get added to and it's an ageless toy, I still enjoy building Lego models a different am in my 40s. And when you do tire of it there is a good 2nd hand market (keep boxes and booklets and you are well in business) yip, toy of the ages... Lego!
Oh and bigger Duplo blocks are compatible with the regular Lego blocks too.

neoprema

Expert Member
Get him started on Call of Duty, Counterstrike etc. By the time he's 16 he'll be owning everyone at first-person shooters. He'll be unstoppable.

surface

Executive Member
Get him started on Call of Duty, Counterstrike etc. By the time he's 16 he'll be owning everyone at first-person shooters. He'll be unstoppable.
erm.. I will not betray my age asking what is all that. :p