Gaming FPS Stutter

TwinCruizer

I have a bit of an issue about a month ago my pc started lagging/stuttering in some games, I say stuttering because it it's not like a performance lag in the sense of a bad frame-rate drop due to heavy graphics being rendered it happens randomly just for a second or 2 regardless of the fps running at a steady pace. I've also noticed for instance that in UT3, Gears of war, Fallout 3 and FARCRY2 it doesn't happen at all, running the games at very high settings as en everything is set to the max. Then for some strange reason CS source it has happened and Company of heroes, BF2, Crysis, black and white 2, etc the game runs smooth at very good fps and gets lag/stutter at random times.

Some Tried and failed solutions.

Overheating GPU: (checked and cleaned heatsink running at 35c and 48 max on load) same with cpu
Latest motherboard, gpu, etc drivers.
using older gpu drivers.
Latest game patches and updates.
reset clock speeds to default.
Format and clean install of latest drivers and xp sp2 ( tested on sp2 no difference updated then to sp3 )
Checked RAM ( no problems found ) changed ram from another pc same issues.
and some other small things...

Specs:

Nvidia nx 8800 gt
4 gig ram
150 x2 gig hd's
q6600 intel clocked at 2.90
screen res 1440x900

Like I said it started a month ago and were before I had no issues playing games at max settings.

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Have you set your cpu back to stock and tested that? Reset the bios to default. Is it a new game that is having problems or your old ones that used to work?

TwinCruizer

yes all has been set to default bios defaults everything normal clock speeds are 2.40 fresh copy of windows. this has started happening with all kinds of games new and old.

TwinCruizer

How much ram does the GPU have?

MSI NX8800GT-T2D512E-OC

Stream Processors 112
Core Clock (MHz) 600 MHz (660 MHz for MSI)
Shader Clock (MHz) 1500 MHz (1650 MHz for MSI)
Memory Clock (MHz) 1800 MHz (1900 MHz for MSI)
Memory Amount 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 57.6
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 33.6

xumwun

Expert Member

MSI NX8800GT-T2D512E-OC

Stream Processors 112
Core Clock (MHz) 600 MHz (660 MHz for MSI)
Shader Clock (MHz) 1500 MHz (1650 MHz for MSI)
Memory Clock (MHz) 1800 MHz (1900 MHz for MSI)
Memory Amount 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 57.6
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 33.6

Maybe try turning some textures down a bit.
I think 512 should be enough for most games though.

TwinCruizer

Maybe try turning some textures down a bit.
I think 512 should be enough for most games though.

yeah I know that is enough but in games like CS Source, diablo 2 it has happened when I can run FarCry 2 full blast with no prob, which totally baffled me?

Subversion

i had this exact same problem - turned out the cores on my AMD chip were out of sync, AMD has a patch to fix this problem - installed that and was sorted immediately.

does intel have any similar issues? could it be the same problem?

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Maybe that stutter is when your PC is loading stuff in to the RAM from your Hard Drive ---> hard drive cluttered = stutter

stroebs

Expert Member
Yes that's a good question. What hard drive do you have and how is your ram configured? Do you have four slots with 1GB in each or do you have Two slots with 2GB in each or some other configuration? It might also be that the other games do not have Vsync whereas Far Cry 2 has VSync and if you have set everything to max, it would be automatically enabled which would keep your FPS at a constant value.

Subversion

but read the original post - his fps remains unchanged. is there no record of intel having a similar problem to the one i described above?

stroebs

Expert Member
Yes I understand that the FPS remains constant BUT... What Vsync does is synchronizes all the frames at a rate lower than what the computer is actually capable of to prevent stutter. Intel processors have never had the problem that the AMD CPUs had.

Terumo

I have also had problems like the op, only happened in CSS though and was on my old rig

medicnick83

Paramedic
First thing I'd do;

Get the ultimate boot cd, boot from it and run a 30 minute memory test.
Then, run a full check on each hard drive
Do a full virus scan, maybe take the drive out and put it in a PC you know has updated virus scanner.

Then what I'd do is;

Upgrade the graphics card drivers to the latest versions
Check on if there is any funny programs running in the background and disable them.

Try using a different PSU.

See what happens after this, I'd get more complicated, but in this case, I bet I'd have fixed the problem.

Terumo

All i could come up with was crappy coding in the game, since all other games work fine except CSS :p

dal2000

Expert Member
Try enabling V-sync and/or use a different mouse. Sounds like you are referring to micro-stutter.