Gaming on EU servers via Cell C LTE - is it possible?

shonay

Hi all,

I'm thinking of signing up for a contract with Cell C to get an LTE Router + Package.
Currently on Telkom LTE Uncapped - its been great, however we all share this at home and I would like to get a separate LTE just to do gaming (unfortunately no fibre in our area yet and max adsl is 4mb).

On Telkom LTE, I get around 170 - 190ms ping to EU (London) servers which is not too bad.
What can I expect from Cell C should I sign up for this contract?

I don't want to sign up for a 2 year contract if the speeds are good but the latency is bad.
Any advice?

Last edited:

The Voice

Executive Member
Guess it depends on which route it takes to the EU (SEACOM vs SAT-3). Think Telkom is on the former. Not sure which backbone Cell-C runs on.

DTBA

Expert Member
Hi all,

I'm thinking of signing up for a contract with Cell C to get an LTE Router + Package.
Currently on Telkom LTE Uncapped - its been great, however we all share this at home and I would like to get a separate LTE just to do gaming (unfortunately no fibre in our area yet and max adsl is 4mb).

On Telkom LTE, I get around 170 - 190ms ping to EU (London) servers which is not too bad.

I don't want to sign up for a 2 year contract if the speeds are good but the latency is bad.
Any advice?
Best advice, it depends on your tower as well. Get a prepaid sim load some data for a night or two and test it!

DMNknight

Expert Member
Hi all,

Any advice?
You have 4Mb ADSL available, rather use it. You really don't need more than that. You can even drop it to 2mb (for stability) with no real effect on the game play.

Wireless technologies are severely affected by weather, wind, leaves of tree's , rain, hot days, cold days, contention ratio and noise in the same broadcast frequency etc... you name it. They use a lot of overhead to compensate for this and guarentee packet delivery but not in the same milliseconds that the other packets have arrived in. It's great for data transfer, streaming and similar technologies.
Most Games require near real-time updates in order to keep the game client updated of in game events and they really really hate packet drops. Even though the data eventually gets received or sent, it has a negative play experience on games.

I'm not saying don't use it, I am just saying that for gaming specifically you want to mitigate as many factors as possible in order to deliver your data in near real-time, to experience non-frustrating playtime.

Hell you could be lucky and be the only person on that CellC tower in the area...but in general, don't use wifi for delivering gaming data.

shonay

Thanks DMNknight,
That makes perfect sense.

I was hoping not to make use of the ADSL as I stay in an Apartment Complex and would have to seek approval to get the installation done. But it sounds like that is the way to go.

Thanks for your assistance.

DMNknight

Expert Member
No problem, sorry that its gonna be extra effort.

It can be done, don't think I am saying you cannot, but I have seen countless friends proudly buy a 3G/4G/LTE router for gaming and end up frustrated as their game client keeps disconnecting while their voice client (teamspeak/mumble/discord/ventrilo) stays connected and reliable.

You >could< try a Line of Sight wireless provider. I think Bitco does that but may have stopped household rollouts. There may be similar.
The risk is a lot less, but count on your packets not being delivered when a pigeon flies through the LOS ;)

shonay

Lol, I'll just stick to getting the ADSL, and hopefully upgrade later to Fibre when it becomes available. Apparently Dark Fibre are working on a service to my area.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Lol, I'll just stick to getting the ADSL, and hopefully upgrade later to Fibre when it becomes available. Apparently Dark Fibre are working on a service to my area.
Cellc LTE works great for gaming. I use it for League of Legends and it gives me the best ping when I compare it to MTN, Vodacom and Telkom.

If you really want decent quality connection use it on LTE Advanced. Now that is top class stable LTE A network if you have the right router and maybe for extra stability an antenna installed. :D

I'm currently just gaming on LTE while I wait for fibre installation. Telkom uncapped LTE as my main and if it gives problems Cellc LTE 100GB/ 365 days bundle.