Gaming system: what to upgrade next?

ponder

Honorary Master
What is your opinion guys? Everything seems good to me when stress testing. Gpu seems to be 95% which i'm assuming is normal and CPU is flat 100%..
Looks fine.

The 95% you see is not gpu utilisation but how close you are to the power limit.

Run the test again but this time in hw monitor only expand the options marked in green below and report back.

Inked5Min bench_LI.jpg

djbrendan

Expert Member
Here you go.. :)

The second attachment is while i'm playing bfV, the power draw seems to go over 100% then ...

Attachments

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Here you go.. :)

The second attachment is while i'm playing bfV, the power draw seems to go over 100% then ...
All fine :thumbsup:

Are you using msi afterburner or any other oc utility? You can try setting your power limit to 115% and fan speed to 65% while gaming.

djbrendan

Expert Member
Got frame drops again... Playing with high settings. It starts the game at 110fps and few minutes later it drops to 70fps, worst case goes to 57+- :/

Then when checking the stats the cpu is 100% and gpu is between 85-95% ..

This is actually bothering me.. temps are good, volts aree good, clocks are fine. What could be causing these drops. Im sure that the 1080ti is capable of high settings on 1440p

djbrendan

Expert Member
All fine :thumbsup:

Are you using msi afterburner or any other oc utility? You can try setting your power limit to 115% and fan speed to 65% while gaming.
Using gigabytes own software utility .. power limit was bumped to max

Lupus

Honorary Master
Got frame drops again... Playing with high settings. It starts the game at 110fps and few minutes later it drops to 70fps, worst case goes to 57+- :/

This is actually bothering me.. temps are good, volts aree good, clocks are fine. What could be causing these drops. Im sure that the 1080ti is capable of high settings on 1440p
If the CPU is 100% then it's the bottle neck.

ponder

Honorary Master

Well if the cpu spike coincides with the fps drop you have a cpu bottleneck. This game seems notorious for taxing cpus. In this case you can try alleviating some of the load on the cpu by increasing the gpu load.

You can try:

setting the bf5 task priority to high in the registry

nvidia control panel->manage 3d settings->program settings->select bf5->maximum pre-rendered frames=1 | threaded optimisation=on | power management mode=optimal power

Settings->update & security->windows security->app & browser control->exploit protection settings->program settings->add program to customise->specify full bf5 exe name->control flow guard->override system settings=off (there's a slight security risk here)

bf5-> Look at which settings impact cpu and lower those while maybe increasing settings that have higher gpu utilisation. Plenty optimisation guides out there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/9xgr78

djbrendan

Expert Member
So with those settings given i get a good stable frame rate of 140-175 ( worst was 127 and best was 188 )

But all in all, when just on high settings my CPU chokes hard. One image is with new settings and other is with high settings

But that will have to wait sadly, moneys are dried up

Attachments

Last edited:

djbrendan

Expert Member
Reviving this for updated info :D
So got the Ryzen 3600, it keeps my frames a lot more constant, the frame dips are gone that i saw with the i7 6700.

Attachments

djbrendan

Expert Member
These are scores with a motherboard that needs proper bios still. Ram only clocked on 2666mhz ( 3200mhz memory)
The gpu wasn't clocked yet. Just preset settings on gaming. So i'm sure once my board has some proper fixes done in the bios firmware that i'll hit over 13000.

Must say, the CPU is a beast for the price?!?!

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
So with those settings given i get a good stable frame rate of 140-175 ( worst was 127 and best was 188 )

But all in all, when just on high settings my CPU chokes hard. One image is with new settings and other is with high settings

But that will have to wait sadly, moneys are dried up
That cpu should be able to force 4ghz turbo all cores in bios that might help a bit. Otherwise try throttlestop to force turbo on all the cores.

CUDlybunny

Expert Member
These are scores with a motherboard that needs proper bios still. Ram only clocked on 2666mhz ( 3200mhz memory)
The gpu wasn't clocked yet. Just preset settings on gaming. So i'm sure once my board has some proper fixes done in the bios firmware that i'll hit over 13000.

Must say, the CPU is a beast for the price?!?!
My 8700k at stock, boosting to 4.6ghz
8gb at 2400mhz
1080ti stock

12800+- firestrike extreme

8700k oc to 5ghz
8gb at 3200mhz
1080ti stock

13800+- firestrike extreme

That 3600 looks very good in comparison.