Gaming/work laptop under 12k ish

KING_thalion

I’m going to study engineering next year (probably electronic or mechatronic) and i need to know a few things regarding laptops:

- do i need (or is it recommended) a laptop to study engineering
- Can i get a laptop for work use and personal/gaming use for 12k ish that will last 5 years without being obsoleted
- Can anyone pls recommend a laptop or two
- lastly can anyone give me a recommendation at any price (within reason) (maybe 20k ish) as a second option

Thanks

bigboy529

Expert Member
Yes, yes and yes. Look at Dell nothing less, talk to Flashgear on the forum, for R12K he will be able to sort you out with a very decent demo machine.

PaCiFieR

Second the Dell option.

There is one on Takealot, Dell Inspirion 3467 i7 going for R9499.00. Has has a 2GB dedicated GPU.

KING_thalion

Thanks for the replies, but i am looking for something new. That will still be able to run demanding apps and games (solidworks, autocad, fusion 360, gta v, witcher 3, etc.

- Should i look at 8th gen proccessors or is 7th gen ok, should i take u or hq model cpu’s, what graphics card should i look at (1050ti or more/less), is an ssd neccicary and how much ram do i need.

- Could you guys pls post links to laptops that you think would work.

Thanks so much for the responses, much obliged. ;)

mr_norris

Expert Member
Thanks for the replies, but i am looking for something new. That will still be able to run demanding apps and games (solidworks, autocad, fusion 360, gta v, witcher 3, etc.

- Should i look at 8th gen proccessors or is 7th gen ok, should i take u or hq model cpu’s, what graphics card should i look at (1050ti or more/less), is an ssd neccicary and how much ram do i need.

- Could you guys pls post links to laptops that you think would work.

Thanks so much for the responses, much obliged. ;)
The problem with buying new is you really limit yourself. Laptop CPU's are a bit behind their desktop counterparts. Like the i7 6700HQ is comparable to an i5 6500, but it has a higher multithreading score because of hyperthreading. Then of course, there is the GPU limitation. The 10xx series don't have much of a difference between their desktop counterparts, but there is still a difference. I am guessing here because it's been a while since I looked, but you're looking at around 10% to 20% behind a desktop variant, even worse if you get Max-q.

You want an HQ model, not the U. U's are more geared towards power saving and efficiency. HQ's are a bit beefier and have more cores. I haven't checked if they are the same with the 7 and 8 series, but with the 6 series, the U's were dual core, and HQ's quad - some with and some without hyperthreading.

Evetech have a nice range of laptops, but it would be best if you looked around before committing. And here is an example of a laptop from them at 12k. It's not great. I didn't spend too much time looking, so there might be something better out there.

philip00

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 would be a great and cheap laptop that would be awesome for gaming