Gangs deliver food in poor Cape Town area amid lockdown

cn@

Expert Member

1589818617863.png 1589818730734.png 1589818841103.png
CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — Preston’s new face mask is emblazoned with the stars and stripes of the U.S. flag.

While protecting him from the coronavirus, it would normally also put him in danger in Manenberg, one of a number of violent and poor neighbourhoods on the outskirts of Cape Town known as the Cape Flats. The mask's colours identify Preston as a member of the Americans, a criminal gang usually unwelcome on the turf of the rival Hard Livings gang.

“They’d shoot me," the 35-year-old says with what appears to be a smile, his eyes crinkling.

But today, he's working side-by-side with other notorious gang members to deliver bread, flour and vegetables to poor families who are struggling during South Africa's coronavirus lockdown, which has closed industries and left many in Manenberg without work.

Preston stands in a courtyard with the other gang members amid an unlikely truce, bowing his head as Danny, a senior member of the Hard Livings, says a prayer. Caps are removed and tattooed arms are held behind backs.

The project was started by Andie Steele-Smith, an Australian known as the “gang pastor.” They ride in the back of his bakkie and trailer, leaping off to carry items to homes and soup kitchens.

1589818985220.png

The first thought (naïve and cynical maybe) that one might have is to think that this is very weird behaviour from gangsters.

Aren't they suppose to be all about exploitation and control of as much as possible?

Can someone with knowledge and insight please comment on this article and post to explain this behaviour?
Can peace between gangs really be made or is this a contradiction in terms?
Do gangs really want to help the communities in which they operate or is this just a ploy (or window dressing) to get communities on their side?

Basically … what do gangs want?

TysonRoux

Honorary Master
Good for them.

The passion gap guy looks happy.

BB14ezba.img

Groen92

View attachment 842287 View attachment 842289 View attachment 842293

View attachment 842309

The first thought (naïve and cynical maybe) that one might have is to think that this is very weird behaviour from gangsters.

Aren't they suppose to be all about exploitation and control of as much as possible?

Can someone with knowledge and insight please comment on this article and post to explain this behaviour?
Can peace between gangs really be made or is this a contradiction in terms?
Do gangs really want to help the communities in which they operate or is this just a ploy (or window dressing) to get communities on their side?

I don't really know what to make of this, but I bet nobody's going to wag a finger at them and ask for their food parcel permits.

saturnz

Honorary Master

the mafia did something similar in Italy

“Mafias are not just criminal organisations,’’ Federico Varese, professor of criminology at the University of Oxford, said. “They are organisations that aspire to govern territories and markets. Commentators often focus on the financial aspect of mafias but they tend to forget that their strength comes from having a local base from which to operate.”

Dan C

Honorary Master
As long as they don't start beating up surfers, it's fine by me.

Thor

Honorary Master
I kinda hoped Cyril would use the new found military powers to sweep the gangs... But i guess their power runs deep in the roots of the ANC, a terrorist organization.

Urist

Expert Member
Yakuza is Japan is also known for their charity
PR is good for recruits.

CommonSense

Why do you think the "community" never rants out on who the gangsters are? It is not just because they are scared.

The gangsters buys people with gifts and in return just ask them to S.T.F.U. about criminal activities.

That is why crime intelligence in the police force is desperately need. You need to infiltrate and make friends with people who know things, the community on their own is not going to lift a finger.

Sadly, much crying and anguish and gnashing of teeth if an innocent gets killed, but then much silence on who were really responsible. Some lacky might take the fall, to get information or smuggle some goods into Polsmoor and get a tattoo or two and higher rank for their 'contribution'.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am surprised how this went widely untold by our local media. The BBC reported on this April 9th, then IOL picked up on it on April 11th.

I doubt the SANDF would want to go to war with the Americans.

cn@

Expert Member
Most Defence Forces are trained in conventional warfare. Gangsterism is not a conventional enemy. They don't wear uniform and they blend in with the community and they can use civilians as human shields to which a conventional army cannot respond lest it wishes to face a lot of political backlash and even international consequences according to the Geneva Conventions.

Some Defence Forces around the world have trained soldiers in the ways of urban combat but they are mostly special operation forces but governments are not going to "waste" or risk those highly trained and "expensive" units to fight a bunch of thugs in neighbourhoods.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Most Defence Forces are trained in conventional warfare. Gangsterism is not a conventional enemy. They don't wear uniform and they blend in with the community and they can use civilians as human shields to which a conventional army cannot respond lest it wishes to face a lot of political backlash and even international consequences according to the Geneva Conventions.

Some Defence Forces around the world have trained soldiers in the ways of urban combat but they are mostly special operation forces but governments are not going to "waste" or risk those highly trained and "expensive" units to fight a bunch of thugs in neighbourhoods.
My comment wasn't made in such seriousness. In my opinion what these gangsters are doing is noble. This being said in the light how the government is currently approaching these donations.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I kinda hoped Cyril would use the new found military powers to sweep the gangs... But i guess their power runs deep in the roots of the ANC, a terrorist organization.
And as soon as the chaos start you will accuse of him and the ANC of deliberately destabilizing the WC in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, right?