Garage door motor help - killed by load shedding?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
So this morning I woke up to a non-functioning garage door - thought it was the batteries, so swapped it out - but still not working.

1.) It works when the "manual" buttons are pressed on the board, so it rules out the motor, and it obviously gets "signal" from the board.
2.) The various lights on the board light up when I press the remote buttons, so it's receiving the signal.

What doesn't happen, is the garage door doesn't open from either its own remote, or from the devices wired to trigger it (Paradox PGM)

If I look at the board, the only thing that looks a bit off is the circled red, which seems to be the Trigger input, nothing was connected to it on the other side, but this white cable seems to have been soldered to the board as an afterthought - and the Paradox PGM connected directly to that.

The board connected here on the left seems to be the receiver for motors remote, not sure what the red cable is - its not connected to anything.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't really feel like spending money on replacing the damn thing.

So far loadshedding has cost one security camera, one fridge, alarm batteries and now this.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
do you have surge protection at your DB?
I wish - have surge protectors on various high value electronics. Been looking at putting in one of those predb board protectors.

red cable could be the antenna
I thought it might be.

It seems to be just the remote/trigger for the garage door motor that's dead - the remote control can still activate the lock out function, and turn on and off the light on the motor.

I see the motor has been discontinued, hoping the supplier can help me on Monday (Brano)

maumau

Honorary Master
So this morning I woke up to a non-functioning garage door - thought it was the batteries, so swapped it out - but still not working.

1.) It works when the "manual" buttons are pressed on the board, so it rules out the motor, and it obviously gets "signal" from the board.
2.) The various lights on the board light up when I press the remote buttons, so it's receiving the signal.

What doesn't happen, is the garage door doesn't open from either its own remote, or from the devices wired to trigger it (Paradox PGM)

If I look at the board, the only thing that looks a bit off is the circled red, which seems to be the Trigger input, nothing was connected to it on the other side, but this white cable seems to have been soldered to the board as an afterthought - and the Paradox PGM connected directly to that.

View attachment 764614

The board connected here on the left seems to be the receiver for motors remote, not sure what the red cable is - its not connected to anything.
View attachment 764616

Anyone have any ideas? I don't really feel like spending money on replacing the damn thing.
View attachment 764642
View attachment 764644

So far loadshedding has cost one security camera, one fridge, alarm batteries and now this.
Irritating as all hell :(

@PhireSide has started a thread to list all the LS losses

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I take it I can't take one of the resistors next to the one I've circled and swop them around? ( the two next to them are light and beam, which are unused....

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I take it I can't take one of the resistors next to the one I've circled and swop them around? ( the two next to them are light and beam, which are unused....
Rather just go buy one and try that before you make your problems worse.

Or bridge it and have no resistor. :)

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Rather just go buy one and try that before you make your problems worse.

Or bridge it and have no resistor. :)
Hmm.. I suppose removing it - and bridging it won't really do any harm if I'm not connecting any external triggers... just using the one on the board.

spiff

Expert Member
I wish - have surge protectors on various high value electronics. Been looking at putting in one of those predb board protectors.

best get them setup in your DB - then it protects everything.
I also lost a tube tv / brand new Defy washing machine MB blow / LG microwave - thanks to escum!!
since I've installed the surge protectors - no issues whatsoever!

I thought it might be.

It seems to be just the remote/trigger for the garage door motor that's dead - the remote control can still activate the lock out function, and turn on and off the light on the motor.

I see the motor has been discontinued, hoping the supplier can help me on Monday (Brano)
I've still got my old Brano garage opening with Chroma door Tx & Rx. damn thing could open the garage door from 500m

upup

Executive Member
I was wondering, that white wire might be kept low or high. Try to remove it, and see, then it might be your paradox

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I was wondering, that white wire might be kept low or high. Try to remove it, and see, then it might be your paradox
White wire is not currently connected to anything. (Disconnected paradox)

Smokey mcpot

You in Cape Town? I normally do a damage report for my clients and let them try claiming from insurance before using their own money. In a case like yours I also note that parts are unavailable and motor has to be replaced. I also include the cost of excess on my quote so that client is never out of pocket.

So far the worst thing that has happened since I sent a report was one insurer sending their own guys and I didn't get the job. Every report I ever did was covered by insurance.

RuhanSA079

View attachment 764614

View attachment 764616

View attachment 764642
View attachment 764644

From what I can see on the first picture, it is a bit of corrosion, most likely caused by the flux of the soldered in wire... I think the Microcontroller has been damaged to some extent. I have seen MCU's working almost perfectly, but some pins damaged. Bad/damaged components can have weird behaviour. Sorry to break it to you... I think the board is dead as a dodo. Well, half dead.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
You in Cape Town? I normally do a damage report for my clients and let them try claiming from insurance before using their own money. In a case like yours I also note that parts are unavailable and motor has to be replaced. I also include the cost of excess on my quote so that client is never out of pocket.

So far the worst thing that has happened since I sent a report was one insurer sending their own guys and I didn't get the job. Every report I ever did was covered by insurance.
Blouberg, going to call the insurance on Monday, see it it'd be covered. First calling Brano to see if the board is still avaiable, probably less than insurance excess.

From what I can see on the first picture, it is a bit of corrosion, most likely caused by the flux of the soldered in wire... I think the Microcontroller has been damaged to some extent. I have seen MCU's working almost perfectly, but some pins damaged. Bad/damaged components can have weird behaviour. Sorry to break it to you... I think the board is dead as a dodo. Well, half dead.
This one is only 5% dead - everything, including programiing is working, that's why I suspect it might be the dodge looking resistor - but I know almost zero about circuit boards - I just know that resistor is underneath the external trigger connection, and looks dodgier than the others. Its far away from the boards remote receiver - so I assume it might be connected in sieries with the trigger connector

Not maybe a stuck relay?
No idea - its literally just the remote control / trigger thats not working.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Blouberg, going to call the insurance on Monday, see it it'd be covered. First calling Brano to see if the board is still avaiable, probably less than insurance excess.

This one is only 5% dead - everything, including programiing is working, that's why I suspect it might be the dodge looking resistor - but I know almost zero about circuit boards - I just know that resistor is underneath the external trigger connection, and looks dodgier than the others. Its far away from the boards remote receiver - so I assume it might be connected in sieries with the trigger connector

No idea - its literally just the remote control / trigger thats not working.

literally... i have experienced this before xD obviously if this turns out to be the case later you can replace the relay

I had an issue with a cars central locking lock relay, i got quoted thousands to replace the board, eventually i tried a few things and gave the relay a little side squeeze, its about 4 months later now and its working great

Smokey mcpot

ET boards are around R900. If you do find the board you need probably around R700 which is in most case more or equal to excess.

Also if they allow you to get your own suppliers then let me know and I'll have the included in price to save you some bucks. Alternatively ask another supplier to do so for you. I dnot know why most guys don't do this for their clients. Insurance normally pays more than the sstandard rate so it doesn't affect the supplier at all.

RuhanSA079

I think, reflowing that solder connection might fix it?
Also, it is sounding very funny that the remote button triggering is not working...
Sounds like the MCU is working, I think that small circuitry (with the wire soldered on), looks like a sensing circuit if you pull it to GND, it would signal the MCU to open/close the door.

If the external input trigger is damaged, still not explaining why the remote triggering is not working. The small radio receiver board is not doing the triggering, only sends a raw signal to the MCU to process the data, to identify if the correct remote and button is being used to open/close.

If you press the button on the remote to open/close the door, then it would trigger internally in the MCU to open/close the door. Or, if it detects a signal from the external input.

I think that the external input and the remote triggering is two seperate things, two problems.

Stokstert

Executive Member
ET boards are around R900. If you do find the board you need probably around R700 which is in most case more or equal to excess.
I had a charging problem on one of my DC Blue openers which damaged the stand-by batteries by constantly undercharging. I tried to repair the board myself but didn't succeed and contacted ET Nice who referred me to 3 different of their preferred operators in my area.

The first guy, just around the block, tried to sell me a new motor as the board I had was not produced and available any more according to him. One day later they sent me an email quoting R1400 for the board plus R500 for labour.

I had a funny feeling being taken for a ride and phoned the guy furthest away from me. He told me immediately the board is freely available for R750. Together with his call-out fee of R350 brought the total cost to R1100.

A difference of R800, I call ridiculous.

He had to collect the board in Midrand and come to our home in Garsfontein. A round trip for him of over 100 Km. From the moment I called him the first time to completion of the job was less than 3 hours. I could have installed it myself, but decided using him to install it as his price was really affordable, he was honest and collected the board at no extra cost.

That's what I call service, Jo will fix it.

Additionally I fitted a small voltmeter to every door-opener and the Intellypower4 inverter which use standby batteries so that one can instantly see the condition of the batteries when load-shedding is active or if the charging system is working correctly when the power is on.
It doesn't help to find out the batteries are shot when you need them urgently.

Last edited: