Gardener dies after six bull terriers 'rip him to pieces' at work

Ninja'd

A Djinn
https://www.iol.co.za/the-star/news/gardener-dies-after-six-bull-terriers-rip-him-to-pieces-at-work-19878737

Johannesburg - A gardener has died after six bull terriers mauled him to death while at work.
The man was at his employer's house in Ruimsig on Wednesday when the dogs attacked him. He was taken to hospital but succumbed to his wounds a few hours later.

According to the Facebook page for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) Roodepoort/Krugersdorp branch, police called them and asked for their assistance regarding a man who was being mauled by dogs.

“On arrival our inspectors found a man lying in the garden, surrounded by six pit bulls who were ripping him to pieces.

“Immediately the gate was removed from its track and our inspectors drove onto the property, chasing the dogs off the man with their vehicles sirens and hooters.

"The two SPCA inspectors jumped off their vehicles, grabbed the victim and placed him at the back of their vehicle

“It still baffles us why people keep packs of untrained power breed dogs.

"This is not the first or the last call that we will receive regarding owners or family members being mauled by their dogs,” the post read

According to the SPCA, the owner of the dogs signed four of the pit bulls over to the institution to be euthanised.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Bull Terriers or Pit Bulls though..

And who the FSCK keeps 6 of them on the same property? (I say this as an owner of 3 Bull terriers, and even 3 is actually too damn many)

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Bull Terriers or Pit Bulls though..

And who the FSCK keeps 6 of them on the same property? (I say this as an owner of 3 Bull terriers, and even 3 is actually too damn many)
My one Pitbull is too much...
The yard is spotless... so his next toy and hobby is destroying the damn Pine tree. :p

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Sad, RIP sir. Horrible way to go.
100% a horrible way to go. And i totally agree with having the dogs euthanised as well, its the right thing to do.

I really just wish reporters would actually get the breed right... Bull Terriers and Pit Bulls are different animals really.

Also large swathes of the article just don't make sense. Lets just assume that the home owner called the cops (or even someone else), going on averages you're looking at say 20 minutes for the cops to arrive, then another 20 minutes for the SPCA to arrive. Also a Pit Bull in full out attack mode is not frightened off by sirens and hooters... I don't for one second think the dog attack didn't happen but the circumstances around it and the events just don't make any sense given what I know of the breed.

John Tempus

Expert Member
Horrible story but the gardener was aware of said dogs on the property so personal responsibility needs to be part of the evaluation.

As horrible as this is, the gardener did not suddenly realize these dogs were on the property so realistically the gardener must have been fine with these dogs there and accepted to work in dangerous conditions.

dabean

Expert Member
Also large swathes of the article just don't make sense. Lets just assume that the home owner called the cops (or even someone else), going on averages you're looking at say 20 minutes for the cops to arrive, then another 20 minutes for the SPCA to arrive. Also a Pit Bull in full out attack mode is not frightened off by sirens and hooters... I don't for one second think the dog attack didn't happen but the circumstances around it and the events just don't make any sense given what I know of the breed.
I agree. Cops have guns, why would they call the SPCA?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Horrible story but the gardener was aware of said dogs on the property so personal responsibility needs to be part of the evaluation.

As horrible as this is, the gardener did not suddenly realize these dogs were on the property so realistically the gardener must have been fine with these dogs there and accepted to work in dangerous conditions.
No, it doesn't work like that at all...

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
So... if this is where he usually works, were the dogs not used to him already?
I have people coming into my yard sometimes and my Pitbull doesn't bite...

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

No offence, but you are a real ****ing ****.

John Tempus

Expert Member
Really ? If you accept a job under dangerous conditions it doesn't matter ? I am not saying it should be only the responsibility of the gardener but if you think the gardener working at a premise with such dangerous dogs should not carry any responsibility I don't agree with you. Please don't look at this only from a emotional point of view.

Next time I hear of a cop getting killed in action I will tell them to sue the government because they were killed doing their job.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Yeah people can't be bothered to train their dogs. There's going to be some new regulations and massive fines real soon

GAD

Article Heading must read pitbull terriers.

Bull terriers are the best breed and you never hear horror stories like this about them.

Keeping in mind that it is possible but not likely.