Gardener dies after six bull terriers 'rip him to pieces' at work

Craig

Honorary Master
OK dude... All pet owners should be euthanized then just to be on the safe side... I think Stalin would agree... Less of a problem in the long run...

While we're at it we should do the same to all gingers and people with iqs of less than 140...
This would probably sort the racism problem out at the same time as well. But then most small towns, and some political parties would be dead.

Another benefit is we would also never have to hear vrot pampoen again.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Horrible story but the gardener was aware of said dogs on the property so personal responsibility needs to be part of the evaluation.

As horrible as this is, the gardener did not suddenly realize these dogs were on the property so realistically the gardener must have been fine with these dogs there and accepted to work in dangerous conditions.
And if owner gives assurances that they're tied up/trained etc, what does he do?

Why oh why could this not have been a pack of Pekingese dogs.

John Tempus

Expert Member
Logic dictates one would work for MONEY. You did not apply logic to your comment.

Ex. If a fire fighter dies while fighting fires, he/she should take some blame...cause dangerous working conditions?
Semantics. I am referring to responsibility not blame, subtle difference in meaning. Your example of fireman having to take the "blame" is not the same as them taking "responsibility" for dying in a job they full well knew is dangerous and this is why a fireman cannot sue the fire department if they do happen to die on the job.

Now I am not in any way implying that a gardener have a similar responsibility as a fireman or a cop but come on the fact this owner had 6 of these dogs would indicate that the gardener had enough of an idea that if he is going to work in the garden that is accessible by the dogs it is only a matter of something like this happening.

This story is not about random dogs from the street suddenly invading the garden he is working at unless I missed the entire plot. From what I read the gardener worked on the property where the owner have 6 or more of these dogs.

The owner clearly needs to take blame for not providing a safe environment but you have to be void of logic to think that the gardener should not take responsibility for accepting work in dangerous environment.

cavedog

Honorary Master
It shouldn't just end with the dogs being euthanized. If the gardener was the breadwinner for his family, the dogs owner needs to cough up.

edit: I probably didn't word it correctly, but y'all get what i mean
The owners personal liability insurance would probably pay out but still very sad because the money won't bring the guy back. What a way to go though. Damn

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
This would probably sort the racism problem out at the same time as well. But then most small towns, and some political parties would be dead.
Another benefit is we would also never have to hear vrot pampoen again.
Is IQ genetic
ie. IF both parents have HIGH IQ does it AUTOMATICALLY mean that their children will ALSO have high IQ ?
Conversely
Will the children of LOW IQ parents ALSO have low IQ ?
or
Is it possible that in the way that DNA and genetics works it is possible for low IQ parents to produce high IQ children ?
or
Is it -- horrors of horrors something that is specifically demographic ?

One needs to know before one starts with -- "Final-Solutions"

SAguy

Expert Member
I am so tired of this already
Just about every week there is a story of some or other person being mauled / killed by pit bulls

Every pit bull and it's owner / s need to be euthenased PRONTO
Drastic for sure

It WILL however put a final and complete end to the problem

The sort of solution Stalin would agree with -- sometimes Stalin was correct !
I just don't believe that a pitbull from a good responsible raised correctly is more likely to attack than other dogs.
People throw stats out there, and yes - putbulls are responsible for the most deaths - but one can argue that of almost any dogs, pitbulls are probably the most likely to kill you just based on their strength and efficiency.

Who is going to report a miniature poople bite, or a chihuahua bite - not many people - but a pitbull bites, he's going to rip half your arm off. So you're going to report that. And to exasperate the situation, the media is going to go for it because it's news that sells.

I completely agree that pitbulls are dangerous in the same sense as a gun is dangerous, it has the potential to kill - but I disagree that a well breed, well raised pitbull has the propensity to kill people.

And no, I don't own a Pitbull.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
6? WTF? Why would you have 6 dogs of any kind? Should be charged for this.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Defenders of pitbulls always haul out 'but they are so sweet' with the occasional addendum 'when trained'. Unfortunately these are dogs with an unpredictable attack response and when they attack they go full out. There are just overwhelmingly too many stories about them suddenly turning on people - owners, kids, random strangers, the neighbours. These dogs are dangerous.

Our local animal rescue rehomes them to single dog homes only, with compulsory training classes, but honestly I think that anyone who takes these dogs on needs to understand that they have this propensity to violence without any apparent warning.

There is always a reason why the dog snaps into attack mode, but that doesn't change the fact that when these dogs in particular snap, someone is either seriously injured or dead. And that is the problem.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Really ? If you accept a job under dangerous conditions it doesn't matter ? I am not saying it should be only the responsibility of the gardener but if you think the gardener working at a premise with such dangerous dogs should not carry any responsibility I don't agree with you. Please don't look at this only from a emotional point of view.

Next time I hear of a cop getting killed in action I will tell them to sue the government because they were killed doing their job.
If you want to take that line of defence, then you may want to read OHSA. Employer is obligated to provide a safe and healthy environment for employees. If due to the design of the environment this is not possible, then necessary PPE must be provided, even if it meant providing an armed guard :)))

On a more serious note, this shouldn't have happened. Owner should take full responsibility.

RIP to the poor soul. Condolences to family.

mattrudlles

Waah waah, you want to cry because I took a position outside of just "FEELINGS" ?

Damn bunch of snowflakes on here especially you. You seem to popup and cry whenever any logic is brought into discussion because feelings is all that matters to you.
The onwer had the onus to prevent the workplace from being dangerous. He had a duty to take measures to ensure that was the case for his employee.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
When everyone is showing how idiotic your opinion is yet you try to take the higher moral ground and you need to get logic behind you:

mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t.3u2.jpg

In no way is the gardener at fault. I will also go as far to not blame the dogs....the owner is a piece of ****

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Really ? If you accept a job under dangerous conditions it doesn't matter ? I am not saying it should be only the responsibility of the gardener but if you think the gardener working at a premise with such dangerous dogs should not carry any responsibility I don't agree with you. Please don't look at this only from a emotional point of view.

Next time I hear of a cop getting killed in action I will tell them to sue the government because they were killed doing their job.
nope - you are a cnut.

mattrudlles

Semantics. I am referring to responsibility not blame, subtle difference in meaning. Your example of fireman having to take the "blame" is not the same as them taking "responsibility" for dying in a job they full well knew is dangerous and this is why a fireman cannot sue the fire department if they do happen to die on the job.

Now I am not in any way implying that a gardener have a similar responsibility as a fireman or a cop but come on the fact this owner had 6 of these dogs would indicate that the gardener had enough of an idea that if he is going to work in the garden that is accessible by the dogs it is only a matter of something like this happening.

This story is not about random dogs from the street suddenly invading the garden he is working at unless I missed the entire plot. From what I read the gardener worked on the property where the owner have 6 or more of these dogs.

The owner clearly needs to take blame for not providing a safe environment but you have to be void of logic to think that the gardener should not take responsibility for accepting work in dangerous environment.
Your reasoning is so flawed. The gardener would have been cognizant of the dogs, and the owner would have said no no my dogs [fill in whatever people with vicious dogs say to convince people of their safety say] are fine. The gardener, with work not easy to find, takes the job. What makes this worse is that the owner had, not 1, but 6 vicious dogs. You have a duty on you, as the owner of a dangerous animal/object, in law to ensure that no one else is harmed by said animal or object. The owner is strictly liable for damages arising from an animal - that is how seriously the law treats this duty. The person who suffered harm doesn't even need to show anything really other than your dog damaged me - pay.

Cray

Honorary Master
Where do you think gardener rates on the hazardous occupation list? How do you know the dogs where even present when the gardener was hired in the first place? End of the day gardening is not a dangerous job and it's completely unreasonable to think that the gardener was somehow at fault for not anticipating this danger.

You might have a point if a firearm was standard issue for gardening work.... Everyone knows cops get killed in the line of duty, how many gardeners die during the course of their work?

RedViking

Nord of the South
Owners treat their dogs like they are kids. They are animals.

When you have these viciously cute doggies, the day will come, and it takes something small to trigger it, where the inner wolf will release itself and transform the dog into a savage beast, revealing it's true nature and consume whatever is deemed as a threat, the little baby pulling on its tail or the gardener busy mowing the lawn.

The beast will be released, the question is just when.... most probably when you are not watching.

/dramatic music in background.