Gareth Cliff’s unradio WeChat launch plans revealed

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I reckon its going to be interesting when launched. Looking forward to see what they do.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
I see another netdynamix scandal coming up.
why? Gareth Cliff and Naspers are perfectly reputable enterprises ...
;)

In seriousness though the prospects of gross misreporting of listenership is less of a concern, what is a real concern is misunderstanding the entire underlying value of social media - look at Facebook IPO

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Is this Naspers attempt to get into this market? Dont they own a bit of wechat in SA? They come with a lot of resources.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Is this Naspers attempt to get into this market? Dont they own a bit of wechat in SA? They come with a lot of resources.
WeChat is a Tencent product. Naspers owns a large stake in Tencent (in fact, it accounts for around 90% of Naspers' value).

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
CliffCentral is a pretty bad name for a station, and egotistic. I'll be surprised if it does well considering the nuisance of streaming it.

DJ...

Banned
CliffCentral is a pretty bad name for a station, and egotistic. I'll be surprised if it does well considering the nuisance of streaming it.
It's about perception. Those who like Gareth Cliff will immediately associate with the new brand. Makes entry easier. Those who don't, aren't going to tune in in any case. This is a smart, early brand move. Nobody inclined to tune in isn't going to because of the name. Only issue is it might make attracting high profile talent more difficult, but I expect if they enjoy success that there will be some rebranding within 24 months...

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
It's about perception. Those who like Gareth Cliff will immediately associate with the new brand. Makes entry easier. Those who don't, aren't going to tune in in any case. This is a smart, early brand move. Nobody inclined to tune in isn't going to because of the name. Only issue is it might make attracting high profile talent more difficult, but I expect if they enjoy success that there will be some rebranding within 24 months...
except that I expect that the strategy is to build other high profile "talent" there own channel or whatever the exact device is with WeChat and simply rebrand the master stream and so on.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The only problem now is if you're both a Gareth Cliff and a DJ Fresh fan like I am, you are going to be out of luck because they will be competing head to head now for morning listeners when Fresh moves to the morning slot on 5FM. Don't make me choose between the 2!

TheMightyP

I think they've completely missed the boat here. The majority of Cliff's listeners were commuters listening in their cars on their *radios*... Now they have to traverse the minefield of bandwidth usage in corporate environs just to list to them/him.

I predict failure.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
I think they've completely missed the boat here. The majority of Cliff's listeners were commuters listening in their cars on their *radios*... Now they have to traverse the minefield of bandwidth usage in corporate environs just to list to them/him.

I predict failure.
Whatsapp is what makes the difference here

might work - not quite prepared to predict failure, but not convinced of success

DJ...

Banned

I predict failure.
The future is online. Duplicating network infrastructure for single purpose requirements is an obsolete system, especially when better networks exist. We might be behind the first world mindsets about this but that's going to change as network quality and internet penetration increase. This is a question of timing based on an inevitability. Whether they have their timing right is the true question, but they could help themselves if they partnered with the networks to zero rate the traffic.

There are plenty opportunities in this space. What you're pointing out are the general and current issues with online streaming. A market that will evolve and mature significantly in the coming years...

DJ...

Banned
Imagine a streaming radio that connects to your phone via Bluetooth. Your smartphone is in control. The radio in your car is a dumb client. Zero rated traffic, with the network sharing profits on advertising and music purchases. As music purchases now become a one click operation. Like a song you're hearing? Buy it straight away. Or like the band's social media pages with one click. Subscribe to their YT channel. And that's just the start. There are massive opportunities in this online streaming space with the right partners. The issue is content aggregration and legality. Coordination is required as opposed to every stakeholder trying to own their very specific version. Fragmentation of this market is counterproductive, but it's the reality of short term corporate logic of trying to maximise the pie and reduce risk in as short a time frame as possible...