Gas tanker explodes in Worcester (Western Cape)

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I saw in one report that they say it is in High Street. Is the part close to the industrial area? Because the news24 say CBD and the photo looks like the part close to the Agri shop that is quite far from the CBD

rambo919

Expert Member
I saw in one report that they say it is in High Street. Is the part close to the industrial area? Because the news24 say CBD and the photo looks like the part close to the Agri shop that is quite far from the CBD
Raimondi's was/is on fire so it's either right where you enter from Roberson or a few blocks away in the same street.

Devo1

Raimondi's was/is on fire so it's either right where you enter from Roberson or a few blocks away in the same street.
Few blocks away in the direction of the industrial area (at the traffic lights where you enter from Robertson, you turn right). Happened just a few meters from Raimondis in front of Brandwacht Besproeiing.

Raimondi's was not on fire, but the other businesses to the left of Raimondi's burnt down (AC/DC, Brandwacht Besproeiing, some motorcycle shop, Mannas Catering and on the opposite side of the road, Department of Water Affairs).

rambo919

Expert Member
I think the confusion comes from there being a Raimondis Wholesale and a separate Cash n Carry, everyone probably initially thought it was the other one.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Pretty hectic: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/pics-manager-rushed-to-hospital-after-worcester-gas-explosion-obliterates-his-car-20190710
A logistics manager was injured when a gas tanker exploded, while he was nearby in his vehicle in Worcester on Wednesday morning, according to various sources.

Moreson Earthmovers director Alwyn Visser confirmed to News24 that their logistics manager Bennie Koch had been rushed to hospital.

"His vehicle was turned over in the explosion and he crept out the vehicle," he said. "He had a wound on his back, but we don't know anything more."
Some details of how/why it happened:
Local Government, Environmental Affairs and Development Planning MEC Anton Bredell said that the situation report indicated that the driver of the tanker had reversed into a lamp pole, causing damage to the tank, releasing a vapour cloud.

"A civilian bakkie drove through the cloud, causing a fire and the explosion. The driver of the bakkie is the civilian currently in ICU with some burn wounds," said Bredell.

"The good thing was that this incident occurred at a time of day when there was little traffic and few people around."

upup

Executive Member
Few blocks away in the direction of the industrial area (at the traffic lights where you enter from Robertson, you turn right). Happened just a few meters from Raimondis in front of Brandwacht Besproeiing.

Raimondi's was not on fire, but the other businesses to the left of Raimondi's burnt down (AC/DC, Brandwacht Besproeiing, some motorcycle shop, Mannas Catering and on the opposite side of the road, Department of Water Affairs).
Now this shops mention insurance company first want to see their coc's before paying any damage out.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I see a tanker on the road I'm using, I become hyper alert. If it's blocking the road for whatever reason, I stay far away.