Gauteng, Cape Town or Durban?

Where would you prefer to live and work?

• Gauteng

Votes: 34 16.9%
  • Cape Town

Votes: 141 70.1%
  • Durban

Votes: 26 12.9%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
If you had a choice between living and working in Gauteng, Cape Town or Durban, which one would you choose? And why?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
So you can have a higher cost of living and a lower salary?
Better quality of life than Gauteng though according to the media Durban has the best standard of living in the country for the past couple years.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
So you can have a higher cost of living and a lower salary?
Don't think the "lower salary" is true anymore. CT has pretty much caught up.

Cost of living still sucks though.

geezer

Expert Member
Definitely CT! It's me and my wife's "happy place". She's been in Sasolburg almost her entire life (moved here when she as a week old.), and I have been here for over 36 years (when I started working at Sasol). To be able to retire somewhere in the CT area would be a dream come true.

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
Gauteng is a whole province with two big capital cities close by, guess we are to treat it as a huge city? Or is it a case of in Durban or CapeTown you pretty much have to live where you work, while in Gauteng you can live in one municipal district and work in another?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Im going to stick out like a sore thumb here, but Durban feels like a smaller version of Miami.
Cape town feels like the tourist trap that it is.

and GP is where the work actually gets done, the engine room of SA. or our version of Chicago or New york.
especially Manhattan that feels exactly like Sandon CBD.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If you had a choice between living and working in Gauteng, Cape Town or Durban, which one would you choose? And why?
You mean if I had to choose between those three... probably Cape Town. I lived there when I initially moved to SA.

Larry_Fisherman

Don't think the "lower salary" is true anymore. CT has pretty much caught up.

Cost of living still sucks though.
Agree.

When I was job hunting I found that the salaries for the FinTech companies in Cape Town were much higher.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Im going to stick out like a sore thumb here, but Durban feels like a smaller version of Miami.
Cape town feels like the tourist trap that it is.

and GP is where the work actually gets done, the engine room of SA. or our version of Chicago or New york.
especially Manhattan that feels exactly like Sandon CBD.
For being the "economic capital of Africa" the culture is far to conservative in Gauteng. Guess that's what you get from a regions whose wealth on mining.