Gauteng is in a Covid-19 crisis

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Covid crisis in Gauteng

Gauteng is experiencing a Covid-19 crisis with a record number of new cases, hospitals running beyond 100% capacity, and a shortage of staff to care for patients.

Yesterday, Gauteng reported 8,640 new Covid-19 cases, the second day in a row the province breached the 8,000 cases mark.

In the first wave, new daily cases in Gauteng peaked at 6,531, while daily cases during the second wave peaked at 6,969.

The third wave has a much steeper rise than the previous waves and has much higher confirmed daily cases.

trenton

The ANC fcuked it all up, now this will become its legacy, dragging their feet costing, unnecessary live because they don't now how to manage themselves out of a wet paper bag, cnuts!

Nereus77

I guess this is the Indian strain taking over...? I hope we don't end up with another hard lockdown

TedLasso

Expert Member
That's what I am also wondering.

Is the delta variant (aka Indian) strain taking hold or has our Beta Variant ( I think the South African one is called beta now) mutated to become a new variant with easier transmission just like the delta variant . Wondering what will be called epsilon

Thestealth

Expert Member
I wonder what "pandemic" people are referring to...?

/places head back into ass

Lupus

Honorary Master
That's what I am also wondering.

Is the delta variant (aka Indian) strain taking hold or has our Beta Variant ( I think the South African one is called beta now) mutated to become a new variant with easier transmission just like the delta variant . Wondering what will be called epsilon
The second wave happened over summer where people were out and about more, this time around it's happening over winter and coincidentally one of the colder ones in Gauteng for quite sometime.
Cold air does actually affect the first line of defense against airborne viruses, the cold air makes our noses hold on to mucus longer, so the virus has a nicer place to park off and replicate.
There is also less Vitamin D so the immune system is taking a bit of a knock, so it seems the cold can actually make life for a virus spreading a bit happier, sadly Gauteng was in the perfect storm. Especially if patterns follow the really cold snaps were about 14 to 7 days ago, ipso facto higher viral loads, more people getting sick. Oh not to mention the rain we had.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I have never been so scared. Friends and family in ICU. Hospitals do not have beds. Loosing 2 amazing co workers over the weekend. I am broken scared and worried.

BE safe guys. Look after each other.
I'm still strangely enough not affected, had more people I knew infected over the first. I don't know what everyone else is doing? Not wearing masks? Not washing hands? What.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Who could have seen this coming? Where is the R500 Billion?
jacob-zuma-cyril-ramaphosa-anagate-resign-696x365.jpg

Sapphiron

Expert Member
I guess this is the Indian strain taking over...? I hope we don't end up with another hard lockdown

Putting Gauteng into a hard lockdown early, will probably spare the rest of the country and result in a shorter lockdown for Gauteng anyway.

This government, aside from the very early days of the pandemic as settled into its normal pattern of too little too late.

neoprema

Executive Member
Look, lets be glad we're not Brazil cause that place is a #$#!-storm and their president claims COVID-19 doesn't exist.

I think the winter, as mentioned is playing a role. Especially since most people are sitting in restaurants, at home, possibly the office etc. I have my COVID-19 right through that horrible cold and rainy spell a few weeks ago and it was very unpleasant. I was about 80% ready to go to hospital but i've had bronchitis a lot and am sort of used to the breathing problems and lack of full lung capacity so I don't panic as much and just riding it out.

But i've heard one thing different is many, who've never had flu or colds affect their lungs getting hit hard in their respiratory system and it must be frightening because if you're not used to losing your lung capacity like that its a horrible thing.

To be honest I think whats also driving this 3rd wave is people have just had enough. Pandemic fatigue is probably the highest its ever gonna be at the moment.

TedLasso

Expert Member
I'm still strangely enough not affected, had more people I knew infected over the first. I don't know what everyone else is doing? Not wearing masks? Not washing hands? What.
I think a bit of complacency. I know that we always wear masks and sanitise and have a bubble of homes that we interact in. We all ok. But it's outside, school , etc where people are doing things and taking masks off, having a good time.

Was in Sandton city a fortnight ago, and in the food court, everyone having a jol . It's an enclosed space , many working and I was bewildered as to why all these folks thought it was a great time to take your mask off to eat , etc even if there is 'social distancing' Fsk no. Refuse to sit in a Resto, but will buy takeway from them.

When at work, my mask only comes off in my office. I don't use the aircon, leave window slightly open (even with this cold weather) but we have been hit and offices closed for 2 weeks.

I take my usual precautions and hope for the best . Can't control others and I don't let the alert level change my behaviour.