Gautengers stay top earners

IamCanadian

Banned
I want more money!:eek:
In the article is says that top HR officers earn R19,000.00 per month.

That doesn't sound like much.

Heck, bus drivers in Calgary get paid R26,000.00 per month just to drive a bus.

It looks like you will have to move if you want more money!:D

dakeyras

I for one can attest to this. I work for a bank, and was recently transfered from Jo'burg to Durban. The salaries the people get paid here is horrendous. In Jo'burg the average middle class person earns between 10-15k per month. Here someone doing the exact same job earns between 5-8k... I always complained about my salary, but here I earn more than my senior managers (they couldnt cut my salary when I transfered here). The living down here is certainly more expensive...

mikef

Expert Member
Although the average increase in starting salaries in the Vaal placed them in top spot i would guess the average salary pd in the Vaal region is still substantially behind the rest of Gauteng possibly even behind Durban or CT

Nod

Executive Member
Even with the high salaries, not a lot of people can afford a average house (R800 000), for which you have to earn R29 000 a month. I can't even buy my home at its current price, should I have to buy it again now.

Summoner

I can't afford a house either, so I'm building a flat on my parents property. It's the only way I can get some space of my own without renting

skoob

Executive Member
I for one can attest to this. I work for a bank, and was recently transfered from Jo'burg to Durban. The salaries the people get paid here is horrendous. In Jo'burg the average middle class person earns between 10-15k per month. Here someone doing the exact same job earns between 5-8k... I always complained about my salary, but here I earn more than my senior managers (they couldnt cut my salary when I transfered here). The living down here is certainly more expensive...
I too, work for a bank, as a Project Coordinator - I have about 11years of work experience in different depts my salary is between the 5 - 8k bracket. Im priveldged to have a job, to pay off debts, roof over my head blah blah blah...I realised that the bank is not the place for me. I was told that in order to get a market related salary you have to leave and come back and if I did then I would probably be earning +- 10 - 12k...then the question is, if you resign, is it guaranteed that you will have your job back? It ticks me off that everything increases, petrol, price of food, but not our salary's.

Bageloo

Expert Member
Last year, a friend of mine was working in Durban as an Oracle/Java developer. He was earning in the 8 -10K bracket. I told him to quit and move to JHB. He took the chance and quit without having found another job. Within two weeks he found a job contracting for Vodacom. He now makes R24K per month. You go figure!

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Last year, a friend of mine was working in Durban as an Oracle/Java developer. He was earning in the 8 -10K bracket. I told him to quit and move to JHB. He took the chance and quit without having found another job. Within two weeks he found a job contracting for Vodacom. He now makes R24K per month. You go figure!
Contracting is the important word there. Contract work is always more lucrative in any market ... the inflated salary covers leave, income security, etc

Example: As an IT consultant in a perm position, you would earn say R350 per hour ... going into the contracter market, you should be able to get around R500-R600 per hour

JK8

Banned
Contracting is the important word there. Contract work is always more lucrative in any market ... the inflated salary covers leave, income security, etc

Example: As an IT consultant in a perm position, you would earn say R350 per hour ... going into the contracter market, you should be able to get around R500-R600 per hour
And minus medical and pension right?

VernD

Executive Member
And minus medical and pension right?
Nope. Contractors just gets a straight salary - no benefits. If you want to, you can provide for your own benefits by joining a medical aid and taking out a reitrement annuity - that's what I did.

Also, there's no paid leave or sick leave :(