Gauteng's hospitals close to breaching capacity

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Gauteng's hospitals close to breaching capacity

Hospital capacity in South Africa’s industrial hub of Gauteng is at risk of being breached by surging Covid-19 cases within days.

The densely populated province, which includes Johannesburg and Pretoria, accounts for the bulk of the country’s infections during the ongoing third wave, and health resources are already stretched.

Weekly hospital admissions are almost as high as they were during the height of the first wave in July, and the total number of cases is forecast to be twice as large as during the first two waves.

[Bloomberg]

Lupus

Honorary Master
Are they about to, have already?? Though I will say the testing has increased looking at the lines at the lancet lines, strange though not many of the people actually looked sick.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
In some hospitals they are already "breached" ... sitting in casualty attached to oxygen in some I have heard :(

Flippy

So Charlotte Maxeke is still closed after months , they shut down the covid field hospitals as they weren't being used.
The new R460-million Gauteng hospital is still unused.

One of the worst vaccine rollouts on the planet & these pricks still have the audacity to blame the population for "complacency"

I'm not saying some people aren't a little too relaxed with the rules but come on :mad:

RudderVator

Expert Member
So Charlotte Maxeke is still closed after months , they shut down the covid field hospitals as they weren't being used.
The new R460-million Gauteng hospital is still unused.

One of the worst vaccine rollouts on the planet & these pricks still have the audacity to blame the population for "complacency"

I'm not saying some people aren't a little too relaxed with the rules but come on :mad:
“You bunch are using too much Electricity!” ~Eskom

Same story its our fault.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Complacency in measures such as wearing masks and avoiding large gatherings prompted the president to warn that further restrictions may be implemented.
Was it at least a stern warning? :rolleyes:

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
When they lie so much they trip over themselves not remembering what they lied about.
When Jan posts photos of the bodies piled up in the streets I will start believing that the hospitals have reached max capacity.
Until then I will get my reliable info from my Aunt that is a nurse treating Covid patients

adrianx

Expert Member
There has been a terrible delay in reopening the hospital, which is completely unacceptable,” Gauteng Premier David Makhura said in a presentation Thursday.

Pencil testing all the contractors takes a long time.

Lupus

Honorary Master
“You bunch are using too much Electricity!” ~Eskom

Same story its our fault.
According to Eskom, dishwashers and washing machines add to their woos.
It's like move with the times an energy efficient washing machine and dish washer will use less water then by hand. Which in turn will use less water from the geyser which is a lot less efficient then my dishwasher.

Lupus

Honorary Master
When they lie so much they trip over themselves not remembering what they lied about.
When Jan posts photos of the bodies piled up in the streets I will start believing that the hospitals have reached max capacity.
Until then I will get my reliable info from my Aunt that is a nurse treating Covid patients
They are piled on the streets, but for different reasons.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
"The lockdown is to slow down the spread to enable our medical resources to prepare for the surge of patients."

zerocool2009

Executive Member
"The lockdown is to slow down the spread to enable our medical resources to prepare for the surge of patients."

Watch the NF series human. Ebola was curbed by isolating infected people!

Ons wil ook nie leer! Bly tuis

#LockdownToLate!

Brawler

Honorary Master
Imagine being one of the responsible doctors in these wards (understaffed) and knowing that when you take a break/sleep, people will die because you could not help them. Heartbreaking.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
Imagine being one of the responsible doctors in these wards (understaffed) and knowing that when you take a break/sleep, people will die because you could not help them. Heartbreaking.

Reading news yesterday... doctors must decide who live and who die!

Thats a wake up call!