Gender-reveal stunt started wildfire that saw 21 000 Californians evacuated

schumi

Honorary Master
A couple expecting a new baby set out Saturday morning to share the news of the child's sex by setting off a smoke bomb that would send plumes of pink or blue smoke rising into the arid Southern California air.

As the pyrotechnic device ignited, so did the dry wild grasses that had grown as tall as four feet in the meadow at El Dorado Ranch Park, about 80 miles east of Los Angeles, Cal Fire said in a statement Sunday.

As of Monday night, the barely contained fire had grown into a monster that has already burned through nearly 10 000 acres and forced more than 20 000 people to evacuate.

The misguided "gender-reveal" stunt is not the first to spark a costly conflagration. A similar antic in 2017 started a 47 000-acre wildfire in the foothill's of southern Arizona's Santa Rita Mountains. In April, another gender-reveal gimmick set off a brush fire in Florida. Gender-reveal parties have caused a plane crash and last year one killed a grandmother when she was struck with shrapnel after a family unintentionally created a pipe bomb while attempting a colourful explosion to announce the sex of their unborn child.

More at:

Ninja'd

A Djinn
It's California....you left out 7 other possibilities.

It was bound to happen

One of the pioneers of the gender-reveal party, the popular trend for announcing a baby’s gender through some form of stunt, has said is it time to “re-evaluate” the practice and that her own daughter had begun to explore her gender and defy gender norms.

Jenna Karvunidis, 39, explained that in 2008, she baked a cake with pink icing inside to reveal the gender of her daughter to her friends and family, never realizing that her concept would be replicated countless times over the next decade.

“For me, it was a milestone,” she said. “I had had several miscarriages. It was like, ‘Oh yay, I’m finally at a point in my pregnancy where I know if it’s a boy or a girl’ rather than ‘Let’s saddle this kid with a whole identity’. I don’t think anybody was thinking like that in 2008.”

konfab

Honorary Master
What the **** is a gender reveal?

Is that what millenials call flashing?
When we found out the gender of our baby earlier this year, we baked a cake with a pink interior and had a Skype call with the family to show everyone.

This was in the middle of Stage 5 lockdown I might add, so everyone needed a little bit of silliness and happiness.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
When we found out the gender of our baby earlier this year, we baked a cake with a pink interior and had a Skype call with the family to show everyone.

This was in the middle of Stage 5 lockdown I might add, so everyone needed a little bit of silliness and happiness.

Neuk_

Expert Member
What the **** is a gender reveal?

Is that what millenials call flashing?

I am still surprised at the number of people who were surprised to hear that we were waiting until birth to find out what we were having :ROFL: I have OCD and can be a bit of a control freak at times but I never, ever wanted to know what gender our baby was before they were born.

P.S. We had a boy!

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
it's kak like this that keeps @Nick333 away off the forums.
wtf is a gender reveal?
whatever happened to real men out there?

/spit. kicks coffee table and leaves room :mad:
Gender reveal party is when they say the gender of the baby. In America they like to announce boys with explosives/fireworks for some reason.