General anti-Trump sentiment from SA'ns

mogiletsiZA

Why is the general sentiment for Trump so negative in SA?

I recall Stephen Grootes on SAFM saying with regards to leadership: "you know who a divisive leader is - Donald Trump" - uhh, hello? - how about Mr Malema? there is obvious divisiveness in what he represents. It's literally black and white.

The local media here tends to be mostly anti-trump and therefore sides with the mass media views in the US, associating itself with a left-leaning and pro-democratic rhetoric. What's more is that DStv only has CNN, BBC and Sky which tend to lean left and so perhaps one could argue that we get a one-sided view down here in ZA. What I find perplexing is that any admiration for Trump in SA would bring about a far-right, racist labelling. What I perceive is that there is a propaganda agenda against the right, not allowing a smidgen of positive news in attempt to nullify them altogether. The right in SA is associated with the NP and Apratheid and can never be "redeemed" or prove itself relevant for a failing country.

What are your thoughts?

MirageF1

Expert Member
1.Malema isn't the leader of the most powerful nation on Earth.

2.That in itself behoves Trump to try and act more like a leader and statesman rather than a pimple faced teenager throwing his toys out the cot when he cant get his way or sleep....

p.s this post is in no way an endorsement,implied support or otherwise, encouragement or condonation of Malema and/or his EFF cronies and supporters

mogiletsiZA

1.Malema isn't the leader of the most powerful nation on Earth.

2.That in itself behoves Trump to try and act more like a leader and statesman rather than a pimple faced teenager throwing his toys out the cot when he cant get his way or sleep....
1. Why should that be a qualifier? - Malema is a leader with rising power in THIS country, having a controversial agenda that is blatantly divisive.

2. Trump's manner is certainly unconventional and not very statesman-like, but he is changing in his role now a president. His political campaign necessitated such unconventional behaviour as there are too many generic statesman/woman in the US that have been useless. I guess the people embraced something new and now the left think he represents Nazism. Though, I think it's clear where you stand on this - very anti-trump with your metaphors that illustrate hyperbole clearly show that you are defensive. What has he done to you or your freedom?

eg2505

Honorary Master
the media with few exceptions ALWAYS paint Trump as a evil.

I've noticed when one actually stops to listen to what Trump is actually doing, is he so bad?

I think the media has had a beef with Trump since his inauguration, as Hillary lost.
conclusions?

the mainstream media is after an agenda most times, one just needs to find out what it is.

garp

Executive Member
Cape Talk regularly refers to him as a "naartjie" and "that criminal in the White House". Fair enough, you don't like the guy, but FFS show at least some level of professionalism and objectivity. Of course, this is the same station that employs a racist to bash his agenda for three hours every morning so I'm wasting my keystrokes.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I think they paint him as a buffoon with a very tenuous grasp on the truth, but then he hardly doesn't do himself any favors in this regard.
one can argue that, especially with his mispronunciation of certain words,
but others can argue that his policies are quite divisive.

but one can also argue, that he set out to do what he campaigned for,

MirageF1

Expert Member

but one can also argue, that he set out to do what he campaigned for,
Including bringing the US gov to a virtual standstill for 21 days now..yup, gotcha completely.
Scr*w everyone else's lives,as long as the heffalump Trump gets his way....:thumbsup:

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
In a Trump vs Hillary vote, I'd pick Trump everytime. He is an absolute naartjie but Hillary is far worse. At least with Trump he gets fixated on stupid stuff, with Hillary we probably would have had WW3 by now.

To put it differently, with Trump I have little hope for the immediate future of the US, with Hillary I was afraid for the future of the world.

And quite frankly I don't really care if America has problems of their own making. And they made this problem by failing to put up better qualified sane candidates as I think neither candidate (Trump or Hillary) are qualified or sane.

mogiletsiZA

Including bringing the US gov to a virtual standstill for 21 days now..yup, gotcha completely.
Scr*w everyone else's lives,as long as the heffalump Trump gets his way....:thumbsup:
What an incomplete comprehension you have of the whole thing. The wall represents border security and it is effective. Millions of americans support the wall. But no, everything Trump stands for and achieves is wrong and can not be tolerated "WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" - you like the pimply crybaby teenager that you claim Trump to be. Sad

greg0205

Honorary Master
Property developer Donald Trump on the five coloured teenagers initially convicted in the Central Park jogger case:

*The convictions were vacated after serial rapist Matias Reyes confessed, and DNA confirmed his was the only semen present.

Property developer Donald Trump on the 9/11 attack: "There were people over in New Jersey that were watching it, a heavy Arab population, that were cheering as the buildings came down. Not good."

Reality show host Donald Trump on contestant Kwame Jackson: "There’s no way I can let this black f*g win."

Reality show host Donald Trump after the death of Nelson Mandela: “Name one country run by a black person that’s not a sh*thole. Name one city,”

Reality show host Donald Trump claimed, for years, that then-president Barack Obama was not born in the US, going so far as to claim he'd sent investigators to Hawaii to prove it... The Birther movement.

Reality show host Donald Trump announcing his presidential bid: "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Candidate Donald Trump on Muslims travelling to the US: “Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.”

Candidate Donald Trump commenting on how crowds at his rallies were mainly white: “That’s because black people are too stupid to vote for me.”

Candidate Donald Trump attacked Khizr Khan who lost his son in Iraq, going on to claim that Ghazala Khan wasn't allowed to speak.

Candidate Donald Trump on Judge Gonzalo Curiel ruling in his Trump University fraud case: "I have been treated unfairly by this judge, now this judge is of Mexican heritage, I'm building a wall."

President Donald Trump's response to self-confessed neo-nazi James Alex Fields, Jr driving his Dodge into a crowd in Charlottesville, killing anti-fascist protestor Heather Heyer: "very fine people, on both sides".

President Donald Trump on Haiti, El Salvador and Africa: “Why are we having all these people from sh*thole countries come here?”

Ya want I should go on?

mogiletsiZA

In a Trump vs Hillary vote, I'd pick Trump everytime. He is an absolute naartjie but Hillary is far worse. At least with Trump he gets fixated on stupid stuff, with Hillary we probably would have had WW3 by now.

To put it differently, with Trump I have little hope for the immediate future of the US, with Hillary I was afraid for the future of the world.

And quite frankly I don't really care if America has problems of their own making. And they made this problem by failing to put up better qualified sane candidates as I think neither candidate (Trump or Hillary) are qualified or sane.
And this is the hypocrisy of the whole thing - that the Left and Hilary are and were without sin. Both sides have loonies and Trump tends towards lunacy most of the time. But he stands in defiance against the Marxist agenda of the extreme left for which will ruin and end Western Civilisation as we know it. This is the underpinning reality of the whole thing. Where certain elite people want the world to go.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Because people are stupid and they get their news from Facebook. It is easy to make fun of Trump so very few people are intelligent to go against the herd and think for themselves.

And then media types just tend to be more liberal and left leaning.

thestaggy

Honorary Master

I'd have voted for a third party instead of those two.

I'm glad Hillary and her insane band of regressive lefties didn't win, but I wouldn't vote for Trump.

Candidate Donald Trump on Judge Gonzalo Curiel ruling in his Trump University fraud case: "I have been treated unfairly by this judge, now this judge is of Mexican heritage, I'm building a wall."
Thanks for the Friday laugh.

Last edited:

mogiletsiZA

Property developer Donald Trump on the five coloured teenagers initially convicted in the Central Park jogger case:

*The convictions were vacated after serial rapist Matias Reyes confessed, and DNA confirmed his was the only semen present.

Property developer Donald Trump on the 9/11 attack: "There were people over in New Jersey that were watching it, a heavy Arab population, that were cheering as the buildings came down. Not good."

Reality show host Donald Trump on contestant Kwame Jackson: "There’s no way I can let this black f*g win."

Reality show host Donald Trump after the death of Nelson Mandela: “Name one country run by a black person that’s not a sh*thole. Name one city,”

Reality show host Donald Trump claimed, for years, that then-president Barack Obama was not born in the US, going so far as to claim he'd sent investigators to Hawaii to prove it... The Birther movement.

Reality show host Donald Trump announcing his presidential bid: "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Candidate Donald Trump on Muslims travelling to the US: “Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.”

Candidate Donald Trump commenting on how crowds at his rallies were mainly white: “That’s because black people are too stupid to vote for me.”

Candidate Donald Trump attacked Khizr Khan who lost his son in Iraq, going on to claim that Ghazala Khan wasn't allowed to speak.

President Donald Trump's response to self-confessed neo-nazi James Alex Fields, Jr driving his Dodge into a crowd in Charlottesville, killing anti-fascist protestor Heather Heyer: "very fine people, on both sides".

President Donald Trump on Haiti, El Salvador and Africa: “Why are we having all these people from sh*thole countries come here?”

Ya want I should go on?
Bit dubious about paraphrasing here. Most of these can be described as what CNN says " an anonymous source".

I challenge you to interrogate the truth of what is being purported by him by judging the content of what is said rather than its connotations or what it may imply to a sensitive mind - these are observational facts. That are demonstrably true in most cases

greg0205

Honorary Master
Bit dubious about paraphrasing here. Most of these can be described as what CNN says " an anonymous source".

I challenge you to interrogate the truth of what is being purported by him by judging the content of what is said rather than its connotations or what it may imply to a sensitive mind - these are observational facts. That are demonstrably true in most cases
So that's not his full-page ad in the NYT? He wasn't a Birther? Actual live-video of him saying "rapists" and "both sides" wasn't screened around the world? Democrats didn't take the Muslim ban to court? He didn't tweet about the Khans? His own lawyer didn't made the Kwame Jackson and Mandela claim?

At best, the very best, I'll give you the “Why are we having all these people from sh*thole countries come here?” thing as confirmed by "sources"

The rest have attributable origins, mostly Trump himself.

mogiletsiZA

So that's not his full-page ad in the NYT? He wasn't a Birther? Actual live-video of him saying "rapists" and "both sides" wasn't screened around the world? Democrats didn't take the Muslim ban to court? He didn't tweet about the Khans? His own lawyer didn't made the Kwame Jackson and Mandela claim?

At best, the very best, I'll give you the “Why are we having all these people from sh*thole countries come here?” thing as confirmed by "sources"

The rest have attributable origins, mostly Trump himself.
But Greg, can offensive also be true? - why not dig deeper behind the context of the quotes so that you can perhaps find truth, not a potential to offend, in what is being said. - is there a degree of truth in some of what he said?