General Crime : Making your home safer

wrathex

Expert Member
Could not find the primary crime thread :

Paradyskloof Villas Stellenbosch Kennisgewing: Mei 2013

REMOTE ENTRY DEVICES/ HEK OOPMAKERS
All residents to please ensure that you are in possession of all your allocated remotes. Please, urgently report to the office should any of them be missing.

Alle inwoners moet asseblief seker maak dat hulle oopmakers nog in hul besitting is. As enige oopmakers vermis is, stel asseblief die kantoor dringend in kennis daarvan.

FOR YOUR INTEREST: EXTRACTS FROM A RESIDENTIAL ROBBERY RESEARCH
DR ZINN’S FINDINGS FROM HIS RESEARCH ARE AS FOLLOWS:

- Eight out of 10 residential robberies are committed with the help of information from maids, gardeners and former employees.

- Robbers will monitor the home for as long as two weeks.
- Gangs research armed response firms’ response times.
- Most attacks occur between 7pm and midnight, as people are relaxed - cooking or watching TV, and the security systems and beams are not activated. But robberies do continue until 04h00 in the morning.

- 97% of robbers are armed.
- On average an armed robbery gang has four members.
- 50% of residential robberies in SA take place in Gauteng.
- It is a complete myth that only white people are victims of robberies – anyone displaying any form of wealth (double story homes, expensive jewellery and fancy cars) is a target.

- The average age of a house robber is 19 and 26 years.
- An average of 30% of all house robbers have either committed murder, or won’t hesitate to commit murder.
- Only 17% of house robbers are foreigners.
- Of all arrested robbers, 90% had no matric or were unemployed. The 10% who had been employed, gave up their jobs when confirming how much they could ‘earn’ from a robbery.

- Most victims or targets are affluent persons who openly display their wealth, e.g. expensive cars, jewellery, up market homes.

- The average robber commits 103 robberies over seven years before being caught.
- Most attackers’ homes or bases are a 10 to 30 minute drive from the target address.
- Women are more often tortured or hurt during house robberies.
- The conviction rate for house robberies in South Africa is only 7.67%. In the USA it is 53%.
- Alarms and armed reaction services.
- Most attackers’ homes or bases are a 10 to 30 minute drive from the target address.
- Women are more often tortured or hurt during house robberies.
- The conviction rate for house robberies in South Africa is only 7.67%.

ROBBERS ARE NOT DETERRED BY THE FOLLOWING:
- Alarms and armed reaction services.

SECURITY MEASURES THAT ROBBERS DO CONSIDER TO BE DETERRENTS:
- Electric fences
- Detection beams.
- CCTV
- Small dogs that sleep inside the house – robbers consider this to be the biggest deterrent of all.

RECOMMENDATIONS THAT CAME FROM THE RESEARCH:

- Make sure all shrubs and trees are trimmed back so they do not allow a burglar to conceal himself while attempting to open a window or door. If possible, plant bushes with prickly thorns around these locations. They are a cheap deterrent.

- Don’t stop your security awareness at the outside walls of your house. Your yard areas (if any) also deserve attention.

- In general, don’t leave anything around the yard that might help a burglar get into your house. Ladders, stackable boxes or any garden tools should be put away, preferably in a locked cabinet. Many burglars have used the property owner’s own tools to break into a home. Don’t place outdoor furniture tables nearby the house. These could become a stepladder to the roof.

- To discourage potential climbers, spread grease on any metal drainpipes if they are close to windows. Use Vaseline or clear automotive grease, depending on the colour of the pipe (or replace them with plastic pipe). Yes, criminals do climb up drainpipes. Think about it, most second story windows are left un-secure and make a house easy to gain entry to.

- A barking dog, changing your daily routine and the presence of closed-circuit TV (CCTV) could make your home a less attractive target to criminals.

- Given that robbers tend to case-out property and the residents comings and goings for as long as two weeks, it is highly recommended that you deviate from your usual routine regularly. Change your patterns every week by leaving and returning home at different times, using different routes and visiting different shops to what you typically do.

- In South Africa, the importance of employing extreme caution when hiring domestic workers and other service providers cannot be underestimated. Be careful who you let into your home.

genetic

Honorary Master
This exact same email has been doing the rounds for years now!

But still, it's good general info to know.

DominionZA

Executive Member
I hope others contribute to this thread. The neighbourhood I am in has been crime free for the last 7 years or so that I have been here. Since Jan we have had 6 house burglaries and today was our first car jacking. Seems our area is the focus of these thugs at the moment.
And all of these during the day!

I have an alarm system, armed response, small dog in the house, external beams (fitted to the house scanning out to the boundary wall), 2 big dogs outside and a 6 strand electric fence fitted to the inside of the wall leaning out over to the external side. Also fitting external IP cameras hoping they will help deter.

From what I read above, it should be sufficient to make these thugs want to pick on someone else's house :rolleyes:

Against me is a double story house and an A6 that parks under a carport in the driveway.

What else can be done to keep these guys away?

I work from home and office is close to the main gate so also hoping that will keep them away.

KillerX

Expert Member
I have an alarm system, armed response, small dog in the house, external beams (fitted to the house scanning out to the boundary wall), 2 big dogs outside and a 6 strand electric fence fitted to the inside of the wall leaning out over to the external side. Also fitting external IP cameras hoping they will help deter.

What else can be done to keep these guys away?

Wow, how about a moat filled with crocodiles ?

DominionZA

Executive Member
Wow, how about a moat filled with crocodiles ?

Don't joke dude.
Fitted my first IP camera today. Works very well so going to get some more.

Anything to make the neighbours look more attractive than me.

calypso

Expert Member
CastleOS looks like they will be putting in support for patrol drones. Can't think of much that can beat that.

wrathex

Expert Member
CastleOS looks like they will be putting in support for patrol drones. Can't think of much that can beat that.

I hope the drones come with legal paralysing & location darts, but a moat with hungry crocs also sound good, oh we fantasize we about perimeter gattling guns :) ... what about landmines that shock, sound an alarm and flashing lights, come on local engineers.. get on (for folks with pets, we build in a weight generated activator - computable to your pet's personal weight.)

The landmine is thus triggered by weight, does not kill or maim, renders the intruder temporarily inactive and sound the alarm and flashing light and dials your mobile and security company. I'd love to speculate about the usefulness of drones (and its many apps too), but I'll just make myself envious that I don't have it.

minemapper.jpg

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/08/smartphone-mine-detector-field-testing-cambodia/
Only redesign the for landmine for safe use eg: non-explosive, can be redesigned according to different grades of use:
eg for borders, farmers, to keep herds of animals in an area and of course for domestic private security:twisted:

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
We got a fright tonight and realised we have to improve our security as alarm and security alone won't cut it.

After 12 this morning me and the wife were watching dvds when one of our windows in a bedroom broke. I instantly pressed the panic button. But only after 5minutes did we get a call from security company asking if everything is fine.

I don't understand how they can take that long or even decide to call first when the panic button is prssed.

We moved into the house about 2months ago and our only security at the moment is the alarm and our yorkie in our room.

Any advice on what else we can do quickly that won't kill our budget?

DominionZA

Executive Member
We got a fright tonight and realised we have to improve our security as alarm and security alone won't cut it.

After 12 this morning me and the wife were watching dvds when one of our windows in a bedroom broke. I instantly pressed the panic button. But only after 5minutes did we get a call from security company asking if everything is fine.

I don't understand how they can take that long or even decide to call first when the panic button is prssed.

We moved into the house about 2months ago and our only security at the moment is the alarm and our yorkie in our room.

Electric fence a good detergent and not too expensive.

We are cancelling our armed response as I don't see the point in them.

A quickie that is really cheap is one or two dummy CCTV cameras.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Possible to get another armed response provider? (preferably the one you see the most cars of in your area)

Electric fence:
As mentioned a properly installed and working electric fence (siren must sound or its useless as early warning/can be linked to alarm/armed response):
http://www.gido.co.za/ (professional, comply with all laws)

External alarm sensors:
Get something for early warning that will link with your current alarm and can be active when you are at home or else another product that can link with the alarm (or even be stand alone and just audibly warn you and you can then activate the alarm):
http://www.roboguard.org.za/index.php

Lighting:
I prefer to be able to see what is happening outside the house in the yard at night without having to put any outside lights on (with just a casual glance while walking down the hallway for example and enough filters inside to move about safely in the dark if need be):
http://www.carima.co.za/products/led-lights/led-flood-lights.html-0 (might be good for bigger areas - in my case the front of the yard)

I have the below down the side of the house to light the driveway and the carport. And then a few around the house (all with 14W energy savers) at optimum points to light up any dark areas and provide light at the front door. They are about ~R125 and the bulbs ~R25.
GLOL420B.JPG

Neighbourhood watch:
Most these days operate with walkie-talkies that cost R1000 to R1500 once off and then R60 annual license fee is using a licensed frequency. Find out if there is one in your area (talk to neighbours or go to police station, they should have a sector policing person for your area who has the details). Ours you can use to even talk to the vehicle and the security provider control room of the 24/7 active patrol vehicle that covers our area (we pay R200pm to be part of this patrol vehicle scheme).