General Qasem Soleimani, the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards' elite Quds Force, has been killed by US forces in Iraq

lived666

Executive Member
Well done to the USA, but he was quite a senior figure in the heinous Iranian regime, so they will be sure to retaliate in some form

General Qasem Soleimani, the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards' elite Quds Force, has been killed by US forces in Iraq.

The Pentagon confirmed he was killed "at the direction of the president".

It comes after reports of a strike at Baghdad's international airport, which is said to have killed a number of people.

The death marks a huge escalation, which analysts fear could lead to an Iranian response.

Gen Soleimani was a major figure in the Iranian regime. His Quds Force reported directly to the country's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and he was hailed as a heroic national figure.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
As you said. Retaliation imminent.
I don't want to see another WW, but as things stand it seems more and more likely.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Well done to the USA
Well done for committing two acts of war at the same time?

It's a truly sad state of affairs when a superpower can unilaterally execute a foreign military official on foreign soil without even the slightest international repercussions, never mind it being celebrated.

More than likely it has less to do with Soleimani and more to do with the deep state giving Trump the finger / showing him who's still calling the shots ...

Alan

Honorary Master
Liberal propagandists in mourning no doubt. Their friends have lost a talented and capable commander.

Last edited:

saturnz

Honorary Master
fun fact: the US embassy in Iraq is the largest in the world, housing 16 000 staff

to put that in perspective, the UCT student population was 16 000 twenty years ago

edit: just remembered that total staff working at SARS around 10 years ago was 11 to 12 thousand

Last edited:

Ninja'd

A Djinn
It's a truly sad state of affairs when a superpower can unilaterally execute a foreign military official on foreign soil without even the slightest international repercussions, never mind it being celebrated.
I bet MTN is expecting another lawsuit because of this.

FNfal

Executive Member
Well things are certainly set to heat up ! .
Iran needs a war and the USA has supplied the beginning .
This is not going to end well for both sides .

thestaggy

Honorary Master
More sh*t heading Iraq's - and by extension the US's - way as a result.

Muqtada al-Sadr (Arabic: مقتدى الصدر‎, romanized: Muqtadā ṣ-Ṣadr; born 4 August 1974)[1] is an Iraqi Shia cleric, politician and militia leader. He is the leader of the Sadrist Movement[3] and the leader of Saraya al-Salam, a Shia militia that is a reformation of the previous militia he led during the American occupation of Iraq, the Mahdi Army. There were reports on 7 December 2019 of an armed drone attack on Sadr.[4]

Muqtada al-Sadr is one of the most influential religious and popular figures in Iraq, despite not holding any official title in the Iraqi government.
Muqtada is a fire-brand cleric that has increasingly close ties with Iran in recent months.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
I don't want to see another WW, but as things stand it seems more and more likely.
Nah fam, not a WW when the Middle East is involved, I reckon the US could wipe out most of the Middle East with minimum casualties. It's definitely going to cause some "stuff".

saturnz

Honorary Master
I reckon the US could wipe out most of the Middle East with minimum casualties.
highly doubtful, they didn't defeat the Taliban, in a war thats costed Trillions of dollars and lasted longer than both the World Wars combined

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Calm down. It's just a bit of sabre rattling. Israel and the US would smash the Iranians within a matter of days.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
highly doubtful, they didn't defeat the Taliban, in a war thats costed Trillions of dollars and lasted longer than both the World Wars combined
Here's to hoping though, right? It's not like the Taliban could do anything to the US.