General Qasem Soleimani, the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards' elite Quds Force, has been killed by US forces in Iraq

cerebus

Honorary Master

Esper says he "didn't see" specific evidence showing Iranian threat to 4 U.S. embassies

Washington — Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said he "didn't see" specific evidence that top Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani was planning attacks on four U.S. embassies, but said he believed such attacks would have occurred.

"The president didn't cite a specific piece of evidence. What he said was he believed," Esper said Sunday on "Face the Nation." "I didn't see one, with regard to four embassies. What I'm saying is that I shared the president's view that probably — my expectation was they were going to go after our embassies. The embassies are the most prominent display of American presence in a country."

Alan

Honorary Master
So much for the claim made by the regime's friends in the West that taking out Soleimani would unite the Iranian people behind the Ayatollahs....

Tehran: University students chanting “Soleimani is a murderer. His leader, Ali Khamenei is also a murderer.” Protest by thousands of Iranians in Tehran burst the propaganda balloon of the regime regarding Qassem Soleimani’s elimination. #Iran #IranPlaneCrash Via #MEK network.
Another video shows Iranians tearing down #Soleimani poster. You know why? 78 people killed in an stampede in his funeral, 178 people killed in exacting his revenge by downing #UkrainianPlane & 1500 killed by IRGC in #IranProtests . People are furious when you call him a hero.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Western society has hardly settled down, they are just more likely to take their wars to other regions now and are more or less at fault for the biggest wars the world has ever seen.
Yes it has. WW1 and 2 are history, dude.

rambo919

Executive Member
Funny thing, western society has settled down so much they had to import middle easterners to liven things up. Now the continent is creeping closer to general civil war because of all the extra excitement.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
mmmmhhh must have been hard for CNN staff to write this:

US President Donald Trump tweeted his support for the demonstrators, saying his administration will "continue to stand by you." Likewise, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu voiced his support for the protesters and called on European powers to increase pressure on the Iranian regime.

lumeer

Expert Member
On Friday, Trump's Rasmussen numbers were 48% approve, 51% disapprove. I.e., no post-millitary action bump in poll numbers like with previous presidents.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Protestors apparently chanting “America isn’t our enemy, our enemy is here in Iran."
That wasn't the case when news broke of Salami's death - it changed to that only after the bungling and lies about by the authorities about the shooting down of the passenger jetliner with many Iranians on board.

rambo919

Executive Member
Whether they are against their government in general or not..... once the bullets fly we will know. Iran is ripe for civil war it seems.

Alan

Honorary Master
That wasn't the case when news broke of Salami's death - it changed to that only after the bungling and lies about by the authorities about the shooting down of the passenger jetliner with many Iranians on board.

Yes one incident changed their opinion overnight.....

But wait don't you and your fellow sufferers of crippling TDS ultimately blame Trump for the downing of the plane? So he wiped out the regime's terrorist mastermind and turned the people against the regime in just a matter of days. Must be 4d chess....

TysonRoux

Executive Member

Cius

Executive Member
mmmmhhh must have been hard for CNN staff to write this:

Well, its Trump saying he is behind the protesters. Like he is behind the Kurds, hundreds of KM behind the Kurds leaving them to their enemies. I would not trust Trump's rhetoric much if I was an Iranian protester. Trump has loyalty equal to his honesty levels. So None.

Alan

Honorary Master
Iran's only female Olympic medalist says she has defected

Iran’s only female Olympic medalist has said on social media she had left her homeland because she had had enough of being used by its authorities as a propaganda tool. Taekwondo champion Kimia Alizadeh, who won a bronze medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics, implied in an Instagram post that she had moved to Europe. She wrote on an account she has used for some time, but it was not immediately possible to verify her location.
Alizadeh said the Islamic Republic’s authorities had attributed her success to their management and the fact that she wore the Islamic veil, which is obligatory in Iran. “I am one of the millions of oppressed women in Iran whom they’ve been playing for years... I wore whatever they told me and repeated whatever they ordered. Every sentence they ordered I repeated,” she wrote.

“None of us matter for them, we are just tools.” She said that while the government exploited her medals politically, officials would humiliate her with remarks such as “It is not virtuous for a woman to stretch her legs!”

Temujin

Executive Member

lived666

Executive Member
There are similar videos of Americans expressing anti-Trump sentiment. The EFF has white members. It proves nothing.
It proves a lot actually. Those people tearing down posters are putting their lives at risk.

They don't shoot you in America and South Africa (yet) for expressing political views against the current government.

I don't think you realize how brave these protestors are in Iran - what was it last month, estimate 1500 killed in anti-government protests?