Generator or Inverter for residential use?

signates

Executive Member
Sorry for the silly question, I see there is a house icon with some 108w going there while the rest goes to UPS.

What is the difference between the 2?
There are loads before the inverter.

The CT sensor picks up these loads and then sends power there and keeps the electricity meter at zero.

signates

Executive Member
I have an out building with my pool pumps, well pumps and a garden cottage I'm renting out to a retired couple. They have gas stove and gas oven with a small 35l electric geyser.

All of them are before the inverter.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Quick question gents, without having to depend on the inverter how can you test the power of all the strings to make sure they are all functioning properly? You can get the voltage but how do you measure the current?

signates

Executive Member
Basically there are two settings.

Limit to home with zero export.

This will pick up loads before the inverter and send just enough power to cover these loads. Effectively the meter will then stand still. That was the pic I attached.

I changed the settings now and it's in limited to load. Now it will only send power to loads connected to the inverter and the rest to charge the batteries. Everything before the inverter will be powered directly by Eskom.

Pic of limited to load settings activated. Now it does not show the loads before the inverter. 20200802_105530.jpg

thehuman

Expert Member
Quick question gents, without having to depend on the inverter how can you test the power of all the strings to make sure they are all functioning properly? You can get the voltage but how do you measure the current?
Dc clamp meter JPEG_20200802_110046_3227899815090352189.jpg

cfvh600

Expert Member
Basically there are two settings.

Limit to home with zero export.

This will pick up loads before the inverter and send just enough power to cover these loads. Effectively the meter will then stand still. That was the pic I attached.

I changed the settings now and it's in limited to load. Now it will only send power to loads connected to the inverter and the rest to charge the batteries. Everything before the inverter will be powered directly by Eskom.

Pic of limited to load settings activated. Now it does not show the loads before the inverter. View attachment 885464
Cool thanks.

signates

Executive Member
Production capacity up to 3.5kw from the three active strings. Fourth one would add another 1.2kw taking it potentially to 4.7kw.

Battery SOC is at 50% and should be able to charge fully from the excess solar generation.

cfvh600

Expert Member
Production capacity up to 3.5kw from the three active strings. Fourth one would add another 1.2kw taking it potentially to 4.7kw.

Battery SOC is at 50% and should be able to charge fully from the excess solar generation.
Pic please. We love looking at the flowchart.

signates

Executive Member
Just wish it was easier to get feed-in. Batteries makes any solar almost double in cost. If municipalities encouraged solar with excess generation feeding in during the day and then used at night, it would make the break even point a whole quicker to achieve.

I will have too much wasted capacity during summer unless I increase my batteries to cover me for a full night.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Just wish it was easier to get feed-in. Batteries makes any solar almost double in cost. If municipalities encouraged solar with excess generation feeding in during the day and then used at night, it would make the break even point a whole quicker to achieve.

I will have too much wasted capacity during summer unless I increase my batteries to cover me for a full night.
And that is the fine balance between panel capacity and battery capacity ;)