Generator or Inverter for residential use?

thehuman

Expert Member
Im running 2800w of panels on 2 x 1200w hoymiles, the hoymiles manual say max 380w , you get better production woth bigger panels , but if for some reason pannels do generate 1200w inverter will limit itself.
We have done 14kwh Wednesday

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Thanks for challenging this, I have been in contact with my Solar guy on it. I stand corrected. I have a US spec 5000W Sunsynk (SUN-5K-SG01LP1-US), different from the EU spec (SUN-5K-SG01/03LP1-EU).

AC output rated current (from batteries & solar panels) is 20.8A
Max continuous AC Passthrough is 48A, so this means it can draw and blend another 27.2 A from the grid for a total of 48A.
OK, so I opened the box, and it looks like I have a EU spec inverter. So AC output from batteries and solar is 21.7A, and it can draw an additional 13.3A from the grid, making it 35A / 7.7 kw max blended.
I don't see it being too much a problem for me, my usage is 10.5-11 kWh per day.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Table with washing powder etc underneath. So if it falls, should be no risk to humans. But yes prefer it safely mounted as expensive batteries.

Will probably mount some extra support afterwards, myself, just for extra security
Has the cabinet been specifically designed for wall mounting, with the load?

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Or at least installer recommended it for wall mounting ...
I would check on that first. I also wanted to wall mount, but 96 kg puts quite a strain on the chassis, and if it's expecting the corresponding force vector from the base vs the back, could end badly.

johnjm

Expert Member
My batteries sit on top of a floating wall cabinet. Had to reinforce it before it was done, I think it was 100kg

RonSwanson

Expert Member
I would check on that first. I also wanted to wall mount, but 96 kg puts quite a strain on the chassis, and if it's expecting the corresponding force vector from the base vs the back, could end badly.
Correction; Yours takes 4, so that's 128Kg, leave alone the rack weight. I see that it has "adjustable feet " which seems to suggest that it should be placed on top of something. :unsure:

RonSwanson

Expert Member
My batteries sit on top of a floating wall cabinet. Had to reinforce it before it was done, I think it was 100kg
Sure, if the cabinet is engineered for it. There's a lot more engineering going into wall mount vs floor mount.

To prove this, as an experiment, try to hang from a wall for 5 minutes, vs just standing up.

johnjm

Expert Member
Sure, if the cabinet is engineered for it. There's a lot more engineering going into wall mount vs floor mount.

To prove this, as an experiment, try to hang from a wall for 5 minutes, vs just standing up.
If by engineered you mean I made it so, then yeah chuckle