Generator or Inverter for residential use?

vassen

I got mine at that price from PFS 2 months ago.
Yeah, lots of suppliers had specials around that time.
what I don’t understand is that batteries and panels come from China and are exposed to the same exchange rate fluctuations, etc. how are batteries now the same price or cheaper but panels are more expensive.
Perhaps there is more competition and new entrants into the market so pylontech are reducing pricing.
Competition is good.

signates

Executive Member
Pushing out over 6.2kw just on the one MPPT with the 2 strings of 11 panels. That's over 92% efficiency and still within the operating range of the MPPT of between 150v to 450v and 18A 20201010_111037.jpg

midnightcaller

Expert Member
Yesterday I had an eye opening experience.
I asked for a review of the PV installation that was done in March.

Turns out the installer put in too thin cables between PV & MPPT and MPPT & inverter.

The cable was so hot that I couldn’t even touch it. Now I have to get all this remediated.

Lesson to be learnt here. Be very careful when choosing an installer. There are some fast speaking bullshitters out there.

thehuman

Expert Member

Turns out the installer put in too thin cables between PV & MPPT and MPPT & inverter.

The cable was so hot that I couldn’t even touch it. Now I have to get all this remediated.

Lesson to be learnt here. Be very careful when choosing an installer. There are some fast speaking bullshitters out there.
There a combiner box between pv and mppt ?
What size mm2 cable was used .

RonSwanson

Expert Member

No ethics at all.

What are the markings on the cable? I was very impressed with the specs on Helukabel Solarflex

richjdavies

Expert Member
Depends on voltage... And most electricians are not used to LV or DC...
Solar is not normal 220v stuff so it needs a higher level of 'electrician' to spec it, not your average sparky!

midnightcaller

Expert Member
I Dont know anything else about your system at this point, but that should be minimum 6mm imo on most installs, even if just to future proof

Here is the PV specs

18 x 340w panels
6 strings of 3 panels each
6 strings to the combiner box

1 x 4mm cable to the mppt

midnightcaller

Expert Member
Depends on voltage... And most electricians are not used to LV or DC...
Solar is not normal 220v stuff so it needs a higher level of 'electrician' to spec it, not your average sparky!

And this is the lesson that’s learnt.
It’s not the average sparky that can design and install these systems.

The worst part is that I have no recourse on the initial installer.

vassen

40 to 50 amp @ +- 120v
What max cable can use ?
So it depends on the max voltage & max current which will come from the solar panel specs and then you also need to factor in the length of the cable.
Use this link to get an idea.

signates

Executive Member
Seems the inverter is capped at recording only 50kwh of pv production. It was still producing 2kw when it reached 50kwh and has not increased the production count.

Time to log another ticket with sunsynk.

Only the daily graph on the inverter shows the actual total for the day. If I select another graph and go back to the daily graph then it also reverts to 50kwh for the day. Screenshot_20201011-184243_SOLARMAN%20Smart.jpg 20201011_184647.jpg 20201011_184716.jpg