Generator or Inverter for residential use?

Lupus

Honorary Master
:oops: So you pay R670 just to have a connection without any usage. Wtf.
It seems going off grid is going to be a lot more justifiable for many by saving the 8k a year just on connection charges. Solar, batteries and a generator for very bad weather days makes sense
Yup, now you see why City Power has the most expensive electricity in the country.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
:oops: So you pay R670 just to have a connection without any usage. Wtf.
It seems going off grid is going to be a lot more justifiable for many by saving the 8k a year just on connection charges. Solar, batteries and a generator for very bad weather days makes sense
Try working out what you'll pay if you want to feed in to the grid.

You need to switch to a Time of Use tariff. There's only an 80A tier.
Pricing:
1603455455204.png

EXCLUDING VAT
Then you get paid for feeding in:

1603455500076.png

vassen

Try working out what you'll pay if you want to feed in to the grid.

You need to switch to a Time of Use tariff. There's only an 80A tier.
Pricing:
View attachment 939034

EXCLUDING VAT
Then you get paid for feeding in:

View attachment 939036
Grid feed in makes no sense in this country unless you have an old spinning meter.

The problem with city power implementing such a thing is that other municipalities soon see that it’s an easy way to generate extra income and they follow.
For now I’m glad I’m on eskom direct, but I think it’s just a meter of of time when they too implement it.

steveafster

I think you will need two cables for the batteries and not just the one of you will be pulling more than 5kw from the batteries.
Corrected I withdraw my comment however the 35 mm Cable thickness would be a problem at a later stage each Pylon tech Battery can only supply 25 Amps continuously if its a 2.4 KW and 32 amps if its a 3.5 KW battery so the combined inverters will can Potentially draw 9 Kw at 48 V so that is 187.5 amps so if the system draws more than 100 amps continuously on the 2.4KW batteries or 125 Amps on the 3.5 KW batteries the BMS will switch the batteries off because that exceeds the maximum continuous current draw from the batteries so in in retrospect the cable will never overheat because the BMS of the batteries will switch them off before that can happen. Unless the user adds more batteries then the risk does become higher or if there are dry joints or loose connections.

Last edited:

wingnut771

Executive Member
Very Correct Current always takes the shortest route so the way it was installed meant that only one battery in the bank was working :cautious::ROFL: I wonder how many other installations have the same problem :unsure:
If you look at the left picture, the negative comes from the bottom battery and the positive comes from the top battery. The right picture is just doubling the max output that's limited by the BMS.

signates

Executive Member
Very Correct Current always takes the shortest route so the way it was installed meant that only one battery in the bank was working :cautious::ROFL: I wonder how many other installations have the same problem :unsure:
What he says. It was using the full battery bank just there was a risk of the cable overheating as the inverter could pull more than the cable rating.
If you look at the left picture, the negative comes from the bottom battery and the positive comes from the top battery. The right picture is just doubling the max output that's limited by the BMS.

naeem.ally

A visit to the sunsynk factory

From the Sunsynk distributor.
For anybody that’s interested, a short video behind-the-scenes of Factories that produce our hybrid inverter, We’ve been producing here for around four years, The team myself included I’ve been working together for over 10 years great bunch of guys, And I must say brilliant engineers

RonSwanson

Expert Member

For anybody that’s interested, a short video behind-the-scenes of Factories that produce our hybrid inverter, We’ve been producing here for around four years, The team myself included I’ve been working together for over 10 years great bunch of guys, And I must say brilliant engineers

Speedster

Honorary Master

Are you or @signates able to enquire if there any plans to bring their 3-phase inverters to SA?

vassen

So the fan on my inverter has been coming on a lot more often than normal. This morning at 8:30 it was already running.

So I placed a pc fan on top of the inverter and problem solved. At midday when the inverter fan normally comes on, it didn’t.

So I want to connect 2 of these PC fans, probably minus the led lights, placed on top of the inverter to cool things down a bit.

Need to make a decent bracket for them. A 3D printer would be great now.:)

Attachments

• 190AA672-9A31-47FC-B658-97A51B5807B8.jpeg
    190AA672-9A31-47FC-B658-97A51B5807B8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46

Tander

Executive Member
So the fan on my inverter has been coming on a lot more often than normal. This morning at 8:30 it was already running.

So I placed a pc fan on top of the inverter and problem solved. At midday when the inverter fan normally comes on, it didn’t.

So I want to connect 2 of these PC fans, probably minus the led lights, placed on top of the inverter to cool things down a bit.

I noticed my inverter gets very warm - fans on all that time. But since its in the garage, I couldn't care less. As long as it keeps it self within limits.

wingnut771

Executive Member

What about making a chimney, probably wouldn't need any fans.

vassen

I noticed my inverter gets very warm - fans on all that time. But since its in the garage, I couldn't care less. As long as it keeps it self within limits.
Mines also in the garage. Don’t care about the noise. Just concerned that excess heat reduces lifespan of electronics. Easier to replace a pc fan than the inverter built in fan.