Generator or Inverter for residential use?

netstrider

Yes, the Victron and so forth is really if you want to push back into the grid. Most of us can't be bothered with that I would imagine and there's lots of loopholes to jump through to just get approval to actually do that.

Stumbled upon these guys yesterday, no idea what their service is like: https://www.sonopsolar.co.za/

wingnut771

Executive Member
i would get the axpert, then later on get separate grid-tied only inverter (when it's easy to feed into the grid), which is cheaper than a hybrid, to offset costs from kwh turning the meter backwards.

saflyfish

i would get the axpert, then later on get separate grid-tied only inverter (when it's easy to feed into the grid), which is cheaper than a hybrid, to offset costs from kwh turning the meter backwards.
The Axpert 5kva is around 12k which is affordable.The Victron at 28k is too expensive.Ill agree with this statement of yours.What is the inverter that you get when you just want to use batteries to power your house?

thechamp

Honorary Master
The Axpert 5kva is around 12k which is affordable.The Victron at 28k is too expensive.Ill agree with this statement of yours.What is the inverter that you get when you just want to use batteries to power your house?
You check under Hybrid inverters, basically most of the inverters you'll see in your searches are hybrid, even that Axpert.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Dont wait for LS, charge and do a load test asap. Just cut the power yourself. Tonight is a good time to do so. The perfect time is 19:00 for the start.
We already did a manual test just after installation ;)

Neuk_

Expert Member
Seems like the Goodwe inverters are in the same price range as the victron inverters.They must be good.Then I see Growatt is under that.I haven't heard much good about Axpert.
From my experience, Goodwe is a bit cheaper than Victron looking at initial purchase price. When you add in that the Goodwe is IoT and solar ready out the box where Victron inverters require a Venus/Colour GX for IoT and an MPPT for solar, the Goodwe's are even cheaper.

saflyfish

So im looking at the Victron Multiplus 48/5000/70-100 inverter at R28k.Is this a hybrid inverter,an off grid or grid tied inverter?
Can someone recommend an equivalent to this but a bit cheaper?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So im looking at the Victron Multiplus 48/5000/70-100 inverter at R28k.Is this a hybrid inverter,an off grid or grid tied inverter?
Can someone recommend an equivalent to this but a bit cheaper?
That's the inverter I have. It can do all the above and more, including blending battery, solar and grid power to meet your AC loads, and has dual AC out, one of which is automatically switched off when there's no grid (so stuff like pool pumps, heaters etc can be connected to this one). Victron is the daddy of inverters.
You will also need a Venus device to go with it - another 5-8k.

Remember it's a 48V inverter so you'll need to plan your batteries accordingly

saflyfish

That's the inverter I have. It can do all the above and more, including blending battery, solar and grid power to meet your AC loads, and has dual AC out, one of which is automatically switched off when there's no grid (so stuff like pool pumps, heaters etc can be connected to this one). Victron is the daddy of inverters.
So theres nothing cheaper that has similar features?For the moment Sinbad i just want a good quality,reliable 5kva inverter.What is a Venus device btw?

Speedster

Executive Member
What about a 1.5kva? I think it gives just that little extra power not to be running too close to the max. But great idea on the inverter downsizing, it would be beneficial since it's running at 12V, I would start of with a 180ah and build from there.
I figured with a max load of 600w, 1kva should be sufficient. Obviously bigger is always better, but budget...

saflyfish

Yes but its not a necessity surely to run the system.The installers will set that up?

Assasin_Zer0

Thanks a lot guy's , Yes on a bit of a budget , If i know where to start , i can always go up from there .
Appreciate the Comments.

FNfal

Executive Member
The Axpert type inverter works as a UPS out the box , just add batteries and away you go .
If you manage your load a 3000Va will do the necessities .
For future proofing get the 5Kva, both you can add solar panels if you want to .
Batteries are expensive and a bit of a conundrum gel/lead acid or lifepo4s , the latter are very expensive but last a long time if looked after properly .
Just installed a 3Kva axpert at the club with 2X100aH batteries , it runs 2X point of sales systems ,gate lock, 55" led TV DSTV , switch , PC , 2X led lights and a CCTV system with 6X cams , the system only draws 9 amps from the batteries during load shedding .
The system so far is rock solid and you do not even see the switch over .
Total cost was R11000 for batteries and inverter .Batteries are gel and the spec sheet says you should get 2000 cycles ,so they should last 6 years .

Last edited:

thechamp

Honorary Master
So theres nothing cheaper that has similar features?For the moment Sinbad i just want a good quality,reliable 5kva inverter.What is a Venus device btw?
Don't stress yourself about inverters that can do stuff you don't necessarily need, worry about an inverter that can do what you want.

If you are really envious of the fancy stuff and the Basic Axperts looks too cheap for you get the Axpert King, as the name says its the King of Axpert inverters, there are many other brands, I just prefer the Axpert because there is support for repairs around me.

saflyfish

Don't stress yourself about inverters that can do stuff you don't necessarily need, worry about an inverter that can do what you want.

If you are really envious of the fancy stuff and the Basic Axperts looks too cheap for you get the Axpert King, as the name says its the King of Axpert inverters, there are many other brands, I just prefer the Axpert because there is support for repairs around me.
Great point! I dont need all the fancy stuff.I just want a good,reliable 5Kva inverter that will run off a set of AGM batteries.Im not doing solar for now anyway.

Neuk_

Expert Member

Remember it's a 48V inverter so you'll need to plan your batteries accordingly
And MPPT for solar?

Neuk_

Expert Member
Yes it is necessary.
Necessary if you intend going with batteries and solar from the start, Victron inverters are setup to handle at least batteries and mains out the box in a UPS type fashion.

Neuk_

Expert Member

As long as you know exactly what you want, not just now but in the future as well. Too many people buy cheaply in the beginning and then when they want to expand realise they can't as the kit they bought isn't scalable or expandable.