Generator or Inverter for residential use?

Speedster

Executive Member
As long as you know exactly what you want, not just now but in the future as well. Too many people buy cheaply in the beginning and then when they want to expand realise they can't as the kit they bought isn't scalable or expandable.
I have a strong suspicion the tech will develop a lot over the next few years, as well as get a lot cheaper. LiFePo4 batteries are just starting to become viable which should lead to great new innovations. Buy what you need now, upgrade to what is available when you want to upgrade.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I have a strong suspicion the tech will develop a lot over the next few years, as well as get a lot cheaper. LiFePo4 batteries are just starting to become viable which should lead to great new innovations. Buy what you need now, upgrade to what is available when you want to upgrade.
Sure, technology changes all the time, gets better and better. I still try and think as far in to the future as possible though, so I don't spend money unnecessarily either now or later.

cenredash

Expert Member
Just wondering what the ballpark amount would be for an electrician to one of these types of load shedding household kits, like this

into your distribution board.

Thanks

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Just wondering what the ballpark amount would be for an electrician to one of these types of load shedding household kits, like this

into your distribution board.

Thanks
Those pictures are completely wrong too. If they can't be bothered to do that, then they must be useless.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Great point! I dont need all the fancy stuff.I just want a good,reliable 5Kva inverter that will run off a set of AGM batteries.Im not doing solar for now anyway.
Even if you were going solar you would be fine, most basic decent inverters in the R10k to R20k are fully compatible and ready for solar, as long as you get pretty much any 5kva hybrid inverter you are good to go. Whatever you decide on just post the specs or the model here.

wingnut771

Executive Member
Even if you were going solar you would be fine, most basic decent inverters in the R10k to R20k are fully compatible and ready for solar, as long as you get pretty much any 5kva hybrid inverter you are good to go. Whatever you decide on just post the specs or the model here.
just check charger specs - some have very low solar input like 600W, while others are up to 4000W, also the cheaper ones are PWM type and higher priced ones are MPPT type which is the one to go for if doing solar.

thechamp

Honorary Master
just check charger specs - some have very low solar input like 600W, while others are up to 4000W, also the cheaper ones are PWM type and higher priced ones are MPPT type which is the one to go for if doing solar.
It's safe to say there are not many 5kva inverters with a 600W solar maximum input, so the chances of going wrong are slim at that level. Good point on the MPPT factor.

Vuilhaas

I've read this thread from the very beginning, trying to educate myself as I'm sick yo death of load shedding and the other constant power issues in my area... So thanks to all for the information posted so far!

As a temporary fix, just to power a few things at home, what do you guys make of this :

http://www.simpleenergysolutions.co.za/product/portable-load-shed-survival-kit/

No proper information on the make of the inverter or batteries, but it looks nice in the cabinet at least :laugh:

netstrider

I've read this thread from the very beginning, trying to educate myself as I'm sick yo death of load shedding and the other constant power issues in my area... So thanks to all for the information posted so far!

As a temporary fix, just to power a few things at home, what do you guys make of this :

No proper information on the make of the inverter or batteries, but it looks nice in the cabinet at least :laugh:
Small inverter which is fine for TV etc as they state. Also, it is pure sine wave which is nice but may not even be necessary, unless you want to run fans etc.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Sure, technology changes all the time, gets better and better. I still try and think as far in to the future as possible though, so I don't spend money unnecessarily either now or later.
Technology changes all the time, yes. For the better? Well, that is debatable.
How far into the future should you look? At least as far as the warranty period, maybe double the warranty period.
Try and be brutally honest and determine what your needs are and what your wants are. Put them in separate lists.
THEN and only then, start the evaluation process.
Stick within your budget but expect a 10-15% overrun. As long as the overrun is within the needs you are trying to satisfy.
Buy the best you can afford but NEVER compromise on critical success factor items.
How to size the Inverter and batteries?

1. Determine the real need load you want to meet. In Watts
2. Double that figure to give you battery choice flexibility and room to decide on DoD issues.
3. Add 20% to that figure for conversion efficiency and ageing of components particularly batteries.
4. Choose the battery options - this, in the end, is the most critical component. make sure the chsort list options all meet your needs as a first priority.
5. Now choose the inverter technology/make.
Look at the options to see in the very first instance that it meets your needs.
Make sure the shortlist of inverters will allow you to optimise on battery performance. Include ALL items that allow you to manage the system properly. DO NOT take short cuts here especially ones that cause you to have to put time aside for manual maintenance tasks --- you will not do these!
THEN and only then look at the bells and whistles

There are more issues but this is, in my opinion, the absolute minimum list of critical success items for ensuring a good decision and buy.

Vuilhaas

Small inverter which is fine for TV etc as they state. Also, it is pure sine wave which is nice but may not even be necessary, unless you want to run fans etc.
Yeah, would be for the router and fibre, maybe a few fans and the TV... If I needed to, could plug the fridge in since it's pure sine wave...

thechamp

Honorary Master
Yeah, would be for the router and fibre, maybe a few fans and the TV... If I needed to, could plug the fridge in since it's pure sine wave...
Just be careful of scammers, there must be a whole lot of them out there ready to cash in the loadshedding desperation.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member

Is that picture from 1992?

Vuilhaas

Just be careful of scammers, there must be a whole lot of them out there ready to cash in the loadshedding desperation.
That's the thing... Not sure if these guys are legit or not and they didn't reply to my email enquiry, so I'm hoping someone here can shed some light...