Generator or Inverter for residential use?

signates

Executive Member
Not ideal pv generation conditions today in Cape Town and have two load shedding slots overnight. Will not use batteries and leave them at 100% for load shedding. View attachment 995124
Got through both sessions. Battery was at 35% at 6:00 this morning but then the geyser switched on at this time. Not sure why yet but the inverter switched off with low DC voltage error when the geyser switched on.

Grid came back at 6:15 so it should have made it.

Maybe I should select one of the slots to charge from grid at 2am just to make sure it's back to 100% SOC for when there are two load sheddingslots overnight.

gbyleveldt

Got through both sessions. Battery was at 35% at 6:00 this morning but then the geyser switched on at this time. Not sure why yet but the inverter switched off with low DC voltage error when the geyser switched on.

Grid came back at 6:15 so it should have made it.

Maybe I should select one of the slots to charge from grid at 2am just to make sure it's back to 100% SOC for when there are two load sheddingslots overnight.
Did the inverter switch off at 35% because of a setting, or did one of the batteries switch off? Seems like a weird place to just switch off. Unless the inrush from the geyser was just to much based on other loads running?

signates

Executive Member
Did the inverter switch off at 35% because of a setting, or did one of the batteries switch off? Seems like a weird place to just switch off. Unless the inrush from the geyser was just to much based on other loads running?
The inverter switched off. Restarted a minute later and then switched off again. When it restarted for the third time I managed to switch off the Geyserwise before it could give the fault again. Grid came back on about 10 minutes later.

Total load was 1kw before the geyser switched on so it should have enough to run everything. It is a 4kw element so could be the inrush on startup.

The older faults was when I disconnected the batteries. 20210117_091609.jpg

Sinbad

Honorary Master
The extra draw from the geysers pulled the battery voltage below the lower threshold most likely.

gbyleveldt

The extra draw from the geysers pulled the battery voltage below the lower threshold most likely.
That what I’m thinking as well. You might also have one of the battery packs imbalanced on the low end. I’ve had weird things happen at low SoC with high power consumers.

signates

Executive Member
Checked my usage at 6am and before the geyser switched on my consumption was 1.8kw. With the geyser switching on this would have gone up to 5.8kw which would cause the BMS to switch off the batteries causing the inverter to switch off with the low voltage error. It probably tried to maintain the load for 10 seconds before switching off. It rebooted but the Geyserwise just restarted the geyser causing it to switch off again.

At least i know it will automatically reboot. One more pylontech should solve this as it would add another 37A to the current limit of 111A.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Any capetonians know this company?
Nice idea.

Hi all, while you’re working on the design of your container or tiny homes, consider our complimentary energy products which are made here in Cape Town, SA.

Our Solar Powerports and UPS PowerBoxes may be of interest to some of you on this group.

Sun Ship PowerPorts:
This is a Solar and Shade steel structure with high quality aesthetic finish which can be used for a car port, garden pergola or pool side shade strucure, or architectural extension. It comes in multiples of 2.2 KWp. Ships with high performance Canadian Solar bifacial frameless panels, with or without battery and grid inverter systems. 30 year warranty on the panels.

Sun Ship PowerBoxes:
We assemble 12v/500w/1KWh and 24v/1200w/2kwh Systems with top components- Victron and BlueNova or similar. 5 year warranties. Designed for 3 hours continuous power this is better than what else you will find.

Price and spec enquiries:
info@sunshiptech.com or dm us now,
or call (021) 791-0675.
or WhatsApp / Telegram 078 078 5519

Ralph and Felicity Berold
Sun Ship Technologies

signates

Executive Member
When Eskom load sheds in my peak pv generation slot.

Will have to turn off the Geyserwise tonight at I have load shedding starting at 6am tomorrow morning.

One more month and my yeilds should recover enough for me to buy one more pylontech battery. Screenshot_20210118-183935_SOLARMAN%20Business.jpg

signates

Executive Member
Ah. That makes sense
What they said.
Eskom's load-shedding is cutting off @signates feed into the grid :-(
PV matching the load, battery fully charged, no grid?
Would really be interesting to know how much is lost from residential or office block pv that could support Eskom and possibly alleviate some of the need to load shed or take it down one stage.

Anyone know if the large office blocks and malls are able feed into the grid during load shedding?

calypso

Expert Member
Most malls have deals now that if they run generator power during the whole load-shedding day they then don't get loadshed for the 2h slot. So they make back the power over the course of the day instead of 2 hours dead.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Most malls have deals now that if they run generator power during the whole load-shedding day they then don't get loadshed for the 2h slot. So they make back the power over the course of the day instead of 2 hours dead.
Why wouldn't they just run the genies for the 2 hours? That works out much cheaper for them

Lupus

Honorary Master
What? I don't think they would do that, that would cost a lot more then if they just ran the generators over the power failure.
Also not all areas are 2 hours

Neuk_

Expert Member

Besides it not making sense to run a generator for hours and hours to make up for only 2 hours, how does Eskom cut supply to an entire area but not a mall?

calypso

Expert Member
Why wouldn't they just run the genies for the 2 hours? That works out much cheaper for them
The applies specifically to Canal Walk, and I believe that other malls have done the same. Maybe I should have said some malls and not most malls. Canal Walk doesn't have nearly enough generators to run the whole malls while loadshedding is taking place, hence they spread the generation over the day and Eskom cuts them a break. This is all up to a point, anything over stage 4 and then mall gets cut. Their generators only cover the essentials.

gbyleveldt

The last two unbearably cloudless days has had some positives as far as generation went. New record today, albeit very slight. I look set for a very low Eskom bill for the month though, so there’s at least that.

8C2F8AA8-03D9-4BD4-9547-8B7C6EB3649C.png