Generator or Inverter for residential use?

McGuywer

Executive Member
City of Tshwane put in this hexing meter - apparently rolling it out everywhere to block solar power feeding
I have seen that they wanted to do this. It was in the Rekord/Beeld newspapers.
I have one of the spinning disk meters, "PowerLink PLE12D".

Money is tight (as always) but I really need to consider solar.
Doing average of 25kW/h units per day.
My plan is this:
- 8kW Sunsynk Hybrid Inverter
- 4x 400w Panels (JA Solar or Canadian or ARTsolar)
- 1x Pylontech – US3000 3.5kWh LiFePO4

I would like to add more panels and more panels later on.
I would like to survive loadshedding (Fibre, lights, computer and maybe TV)
Will I be able to feed back into the grid?
This would be a DIY project. Everything would be DIY since money is really tight.

What do you guys think?

The brands chosen, seems to be the best value for money available.

PS. Not easy reading 286 pages or 5702 posts about solar....

Tinuva

The Magician

My plan is this:

This would be a DIY project. Everything would be DIY since money is really tight.

What do you guys think?

consider 2x pylontech batteries, or another brand. The pylontechs will limit how much power you can run on them during loadshedding or at night if there is no eskom. Something about a conversation of them being 0.5c batteries instead of 1c batteries.

So with 2x US3000s you will be ok, but not with 1x US3000 if you pull over a certain amount of power.
Solid inverter that. Lots of room for upgrades later down the line.
Panels are good choice too. I do think you want closer to 3kW panels in total though.

McGuywer

Executive Member
consider 2x pylontech batteries, or another brand. The pylontechs will limit how much power you can run on them during loadshedding or at night if there is no eskom. Something about a conversation of them being 0.5c batteries instead of 1c batteries.

So with 2x US3000s you will be ok, but not with 1x US3000 if you pull over a certain amount of power.
Solid inverter that. Lots of room for upgrades later down the line.
Panels are good choice too. I do think you want closer to 3kW panels in total though.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I have tried to keep a good upgrade path. Certainly keeping the future in mind.
Will have a look at increasing the panels or try and reach 3kW. I still need to measure roof space.

Will research the batteries a bit more. Open to suggestions as well.

Tinuva

The Magician
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I have tried to keep a good upgrade path. Certainly keeping the future in mind.
Will have a look at increasing the panels or try and reach 3kW. I still need to measure roof space.

Will research the batteries a bit more. Open to suggestions as well.
On the batteries, read this: https://powerforum.co.za/topic/8160-pylontech-vs-hubble/
Not saying you should go with hubble, also ignore a fight in there.
Do find the part they talk about 1c vs 0.5c might give some insight.

The reason why I thought you also wanted more panels and batteries, is your average usage of 25kWh a day.
Thats close to where I am, currently at 20-24kWh a day here. My panels are not installed yet, but I do have my inverter and batteries installed, GoodWe 5048ES and 2x US3000b batteries. The batteries easily handle spikes up to 3kW and the base load of 500w they also easily handle right through a 2h loadshedding slot, taking only up 10-18% of the batteries depending on what we did.

I suspect, even for myself, once the panels are installed, the batteries wont last me throughout the night, they will get close but not fully. This is aiming at a DoD between 50-60%. Will see how I end up automating it when panels are in.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Any idea where one can get hubble battery pricing from? I would prefer those over pylontech due to the 1C rating and BYD cells.

Saba'a

Executive Member

My plan is this:

What do you guys think?

Suggest 2 batteries rather.

Chloe_r1

My plan is this:

What do you guys think?

You won't go wrong with a Sunsynk inverter but you'll need 2 of those batteries or an alternative. Hubble and BSLBull both have 1C batteries and very well priced.

Tinuva

The Magician
@Tinuva & @Saba'a
Are you saying, use the inverter and increase panels and Polyntech batteries to 2?
Yes. Let me be more specific. If you go with 2x Pylontech batteries to get to 1c, they need to be in parallel. In series you wont get it.

In laymens terms, if you have 1x pylon, you can only draw up to certain amount of amps, like a kettle alone could knock your inverter offline. With 2x pylons you move that limit up. Even with 2 you will still be limited to 1 big device at a time on top of your base load, but that is something you can learn to live with.

In our house, we have base load, plus 1 big machine throwing in spikes, like a kettle or a dish washer etc. But never together on the inverter. Washing machine will always run when there is sun. Tumble dryer I hope you will put on non-essential circuit.

Tariqe

I have a 5 kW sunsynk with two Pylontech 2000’s and 4.3 kWp solar array, and use around 20 kWh per day, as that covers all my household loads, if the load is higher than the 0.5 C rating, the inverter takes from the grid.
At this stage Eskom is still cheaper than a battery and and we don’t know if we will hit the advertised 6000 cycles as advertised, these batteries are too new on the market, if I had known what I know now, I would have bought just ONE Pylontech 2000, as money is not growing on trees for me.
This is my opinion
1) 5 kW inverter is big enough, I run a geyser, aircon, dish washer, tumble fryer, washing machine, pool pump and normal household loads, why spend the extra R12,000
2) buy one battery, Pylontech 3000C, will cover pretty much cover any load shedding, use every night to get ROI
3) spend the money on the biggest solar array you can afford

On the Hubble vs Litium discussion, Achmat has his whole house on the essential circuit and never had a problem and he has Pylontech’s, I will say that IF you are going for more than 5 kWh battery storage, then the Hubble and BSL are better value for your money

Saba'a

Executive Member
I have a 5 kW sunsynk with two Pylontech 2000’s and 4.3 kWp solar array, and use around 20 kWh per day, as that covers all my household loads, if the load is higher than the 0.5 C rating, the inverter takes from the grid.
At this stage Eskom is still cheaper than a battery and and we don’t know if we will hit the advertised 6000 cycles as advertised, these batteries are too new on the market, if I had known what I know now, I would have bought just ONE Pylontech 2000, as money is not growing on trees for me.
This is my opinion
1) 5 kW inverter is big enough, I run a geyser, aircon, dish washer, tumble fryer, washing machine, pool pump and normal household loads, why spend the extra R12,000
2) buy one battery, Pylontech 3000C, will cover pretty much cover any load shedding, use every night to get ROI
3) spend the money on the biggest solar array you can afford

On the Hubble vs Litium discussion, Achmat has his whole house on the essential circuit and never had a problem and he has Pylontech’s, I will say that IF you are going for more than 5 kWh battery storage, then the Hubble and BSL are better value for your money
Batteries are for offline. Doesn't help ability of inverter to draw from grid if you loadshedding and cant use kettle etc. Thats an inverter issue.

I bought 2 x usc3000 batteries to ensure I can run everything except oven and geysers.

But if just lights tv internet, then might as well buy a cheaper inverter.

Tariqe

I started my project last year, when we did have serious load shedding inCape Town, even stage 6 briefly, but so far it has not been bad, so yes, a basic inverter/inverter battery for load shedding would have been fine, now my ROI is about 6 to 7 years and don’t know if I will get lucky or will have to replace batteries or inverter at that time.
I did the same thing when we were going to have Day Zero, spent all that money setting up rain harvesting, now we use the stored water for watering the garden.

ebendl

Expert Member
AFAIK this doesn't run back, but it doesn't trip either. I have the same meter.

Do you have a link to the article where they discuss the new meters that the city is going to install?