Generator or Inverter for residential use?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Sure, but perhaps rental=x and rental with "backup" power= x+y...coupled with persistent electrical faults on the mains side...:unsure:
Nice try, very innovative, but it's just not worth it IMHO. All they need is one bad tenant to report Checkers to NERSA.

Last edited:

signates

Executive Member
Nice try, very innovative, but it's just not worth it IMHO. All they need is one bad tenant to report Checkers to NERSA.
Tenants don't even need to know.

They could simply install private prepaid meters in any new centres they build. Most of their tenants are not high consumers like cell phone repair shops and smaller fmcg stores. Except for hair salons. They also don't need to put them on the essential side. I know of one Shoprite owned centre where their own store has power during load shedding but none if their tenants has any. I think it's a generator backup.

This is what my tenant sees when they buy prepaid with Citiq taking a small cut before they pay me. Screenshot_20210422-053408_EasyPay%20Mobile.jpg

thehuman

Expert Member
Seems hoymiles updated their website.
End user can see per panel details

Previous could only see system combined details. Screenshot_20210423-182441_S-miles%20Enduser.jpg Screenshot_20210423-182537_S-miles%20Enduser.jpg Screenshot_20210423-182704_S-miles%20Enduser.jpg

signates

Executive Member
40km difference in location can have completely different solar generation.

Overcast in Cape Town today and don't think I've seen any sun in Woodstock but my pv in Somerset West is experiencing clear skies the whole morning so far.

@tariq how is your generation graphs looking today from Pinelands? Screenshot_20210426-121951_SOLARMAN%20Business.jpg

Tariqe

Yeah, not so good, not like summer, where total grid consumption was around 25 kWh for the month

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210426-123556.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-123556.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 61

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Comparison to yesterday -

Load is roughly 200w / hour throughout the day (basically wifi + pi + assorted security equipment)

0.2 x 24 = 4.8KW, so pretty close to the mark!

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 6.46.10 PM.png

signates

Executive Member
I guess Somerset West got the good clear morning sun but the weather changed drastically after 12. Screenshot_20210426-175526_SOLARMAN%20Business.jpg

ab-user

Expert Member
For that price you may as well get an Efergy

The nanoview is decent in different ways. It has an open api you can use to integrate with stuff if you a dev. I am sure the data is the same as the efergy. Is there another reason to get the efergy over the nanoview? Or is it just that you know and familiar with the efergy?
I'm busy setting up a Nanoview. I'm getting extra CT clamps this week via the local electrical supply shop, and then need to get a sparky to install a CT clamp on each of the main incoming / plugs / outbuilding / geyser breakers (11 in total). I Intend to intercept the data signal using a Raspberry Pi according to this http://silico.co.za/blog/2019/04/ (seems to be the people behind the product design)

signates

Executive Member
Getting into my winter usage consumption pattern.

Last time I used the aircon was mid March, pool pump also runs less now and less garden watering means my pumps runs less.

Wife hasn't used the tumble dryer this year yet but I think she will when the rain start to come more regularly.

Winter usage is ±35kwh vs ±50kwh per day in summer. May should be the first month where my pv generation is less than my consumption. Screenshot_20210509-182028_SOLARMAN%20Smart.jpg Screenshot_20210509-182107_SOLARMAN%20Smart.jpg Screenshot_20210509-182133_SOLARMAN%20Smart.jpg

Edit

This includes my tenants but they pay me for their monthly ±300kWh usage. If the cottage was empty then the system would be more than adequate for my usage.

Last edited:

Tariqe

This is me with a 4.2 kWp array, the 200 watt geyser uses on an average of 9 kWh’s ( heat it to 70 degrees), plus washing appliance thrown in, I have not been able to charge the batteries to 100% 5EFA2242-424A-42EC-B817-80DF910C27EA.png

Last edited:

RonSwanson

Executive Member
This is me with a 4.2 kWp array,
You need to consider some more panels, especially if you don't get an alternative / smarter way of heating water.

Here's my generation and consumption, I have a heatpump and my 6.1kWp is perfect for me, even on bad solar days.
1620588049500.png

Reactions: air

richjdavies

Expert Member
I'm busy setting up a Nanoview. I'm getting extra CT clamps this week via the local electrical supply shop, and then need to get a sparky to install a CT clamp on each of the main incoming / plugs / outbuilding / geyser breakers (11 in total). I Intend to intercept the data signal using a Raspberry Pi according to this http://silico.co.za/blog/2019/04/ (seems to be the people behind the product design)
Whats the total parts list/ cost of using nanoview and getting that data into the cloud then?

Nano view + CT + Pi (+aws/server?) Or do you not need them all?

signates

Executive Member
Yep, and when is the underfloor heating going to kick in?

Interesting that it's less.
Under floor heating doesn't get switched off, ever. It's only 2m² and in the main en suite. Switched it off one day and wife complained about cold floors after her morning shower.

I don't have any electrics heating in the house except the geyser. Fireplace keeps the whole house warm. Also have double glazed windows on all the windows on the from of the house.

Tariqe

I only heat the geyser with solar pv ( unless it is a bad pv day ), but heating to 70 degrees gives us enough hot water that lasts till the next day.
My roof is NE and NW facing, and has just enough space for 6 panels each, which are 355 watts, so only other way is replacing with higher wattage panels or heat pump etc.
This shortfall is colder/cloudy winter setting in

eye_suc

Expert Member
Tenants don't even need to know.

They could simply install private prepaid meters in any new centres they build. Most of their tenants are not high consumers like cell phone repair shops and smaller fmcg stores. Except for hair salons. They also don't need to put them on the essential side. I know of one Shoprite owned centre where their own store has power during load shedding but none if their tenants has any. I think it's a generator backup.

This is what my tenant sees when they buy prepaid with Citiq taking a small cut before they pay me. View attachment 1056485
Ouch, R2.79 per unit. Is power more expensive in Somerset West vs CoCT?

signates

Executive Member
Ouch, R2.79 per unit. Is power more expensive in Somerset West vs CoCT?
Citiq adds a fixed administration percentage to the official CoCT rates.

This is the report they send me every month.

First line is for the garden cottage with my tenants and the second one is the studio flat that is now my son's room. The R500 I bought there should last 3 months as its only his TV and a few lights being used. I could just get the electrician in to bypass the meter until I start to rent it out.
Screenshot_20210510-074500_Acrobat%20for%20Samsung.jpg