Generator or Inverter for residential use?

Neuk_

Executive Member
We opted to keep our kitchen plugs on the inverter due to the smart speakers and google home hub. Our oven is connected to the stove breaker which isnt on the inverter. All my aircons are connected to the Smart Load port on the inverter as well so they will shut off if theres no power coming from the grid

I would have liked to keep all kitchen plugs on the inverter but our nanny uses the kettle to warm water for bottle feeds and irons in the kitchen so I decided against it as I know she isn't as observant as we are when mains supply is down. Our plan is to replace the LA batteries with LFP and add more inverter capacity after which we will add the plugs not run through the inverter.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Customers have issues when they try to draw a lot of current in short periods of time like running a blow dryer or running a kettle during loadshedding. Your inverter can handle the load, but your battery cannot meet the demand. Which can then void your pylon warranty as well.

Your pricing is way off bud. Our company sells AM-2 for R25599.95 incl VAT
R 25,999.20 inc. VAT on powerforumstore.

ADrunkTeddyBear

Maybe, it depends on courier fees :)
Then again, Steve is experienced, and gives really great design advice and personalised service, so powerforumstore is playing in a different league altogether.
Insider info, we are making a big push to Solar soon. We recently hired a solar salesman to help customers more accurately build their system and not get ripped off by installers

ADrunkTeddyBear

What does he think of your electrician?
He is trying to figure out why the installer asked for a 4 way combiner box when we cant combine strings together since the amperage of the panels are near the max of the MPPT controller. And considering my future expansion calls for 8 more panels in a single string has him scratching his head even more with what he needs the extra 2 inputs for

RonSwanson

Executive Member
He is trying to figure out why the installer asked for a 4 way combiner box when we cant combine strings together since the amperage of the panels are near the max of the MPPT controller. And considering my future expansion calls for 8 more panels in a single string has him scratching his head even more with what he needs the extra 2 inputs for
Amperage on a Deye / Sunsynk does not matter too much. it's the VoC that can cause expensive mistakes.
Agreed that there are many electricians, even with solar install experience, that struggle with the flexible connection options on a Sunsynk. It's all documented though, just that they don't seem to like reading too much.

ADrunkTeddyBear

Amperage on a Deye / Sunsynk does not matter too much. it's the VoC that can cause expensive mistakes.
Agreed that there are many electricians, even with solar install experience, that struggle with the flexible connection options on a Sunsynk. It's all documented though, just that they don't seem to like reading too much.
The Amperage from my panels are 10ish Amps which is well within the Deye/Sunsynk rating, the VOC from the spec sheet is 53V which would take me to 318V. Which I am well under for the 1st MPPT. I am planning on adding 8 more panels since the 2nd controller can technically handle 8.5 more panels.

You can correct my math if I am incorrect

deesef

Expert Member
Our company sells AM-2 for R25599.95 incl VAT

And you will give me 5 cents change if I bought 1 battery for cash!!!

I can understand the 95 or 99 cent mind games when buying small items from eg P&P, but geez, why on such expensive items?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
The Amperage from my panels are 10ish Amps which is well within the Deye/Sunsynk rating, the VOC from the spec sheet is 53V which would take me to 318V. Which I am well under for the 1st MPPT. I am planning on adding 8 more panels since the 2nd controller can technically handle 8.5 more panels.

You can correct my math if I am incorrect
It sounds about correct. I can do a proper analysis if you post the full spec sheet and give me your location.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Takealot is selling a 5.5kW Axpert-type inverter today for R10 000

Not sure whether this one has the programs discussed above allowing you to:
1) draw your max requirement from your solar panels and only get any shortfall from the Eskom grid, therefore realising a large saving on your monthly Eskom/municipal consumption, or

2) choose to use it as a UPS during loadshedding, keeping as many of your devices running as possible with power from the solar panels & Lithium cells combined for the 2-4 hours that there is no grid power (batteries only when dark, obviously), or

3) while there is grid power to choose to re-charge your Lithium cells either from solar, or from grid, or both

All I know is that 5.5kW inverters are usually upto 3 times this price.

Any opinions / comments / alternative suggestions from the experts ?

30118D53-9E8D-4654-9A91-B21A54DBD44F.jpeg
You have posted the same thing in multiple threads, what's up with that?

Saba'a

Executive Member
We opted to keep our kitchen plugs on the inverter due to the smart speakers and google home hub. Our oven is connected to the stove breaker which isnt on the inverter. All my aircons are connected to the Smart Load port on the inverter as well so they will shut off if theres no power coming from the grid
Same here. Only disconnected geysers, oven and hob.

Everything else on inverter. Can use kettle (but prefer using whistling kettle on gas stove), iron, microwave and even hairdryer.

BUT never use 2 of these simultaneously.

Have 2 x 3000usb pylontech batteries so up to 3.5kw available.

Sayf777

Expert Member
Ah apologies, was looking at one of the stores may have been wrong on the model then.

The Hubble then should be a no-brainer option for sure?

Saba'a

Executive Member
Ah apologies, was looking at one of the stores may have been wrong on the model then.

The Hubble then should be a no-brainer option for sure?
Unless already invested in Pylontechs? I am under impression that Hubble cannot be added to the Pylontechs.

But maybe I'll move PTs to family's smaller installation and add Hubbles to mine.

Only concern is that Hubbles are 2nd hand batteries?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Unless already invested in Pylontechs? I am under impression that Hubble cannot be added to the Pylontechs.

But maybe I'll move PTs to family's smaller installation and add Hubbles to mine.

Only concern is that Hubbles are 2nd hand batteries?
The S-series are 2nd life prismatic LiFePO4 cells.
The AM series are new NMC.