Generator or Inverter for residential use?

Saba'a

Executive Member
Did you press the green power button?

I can't see from your pic if the AC light on the inverter is on.

Are there any errors in the inverter?

I would check the wire on the grid connection and trace it back to the DB to make sure it's connected correctly.
It was the green button! Eish!

AchmatK

Executive Member
Today and tomorrow will probably be the worst pv days for the month. Only managed 12.4kwh of pv production today.

AchmatK

Executive Member
You must have some blue sky in Pinelands. Still very gloomy in Somerset West and not gotten higher than 3kw yet.

Sayf777

Expert Member
Can anyone explain what could've happened here, I don't think it was cloudy enough for such a drop.

Is there an issue if I switch between inverter and eskom (via the db board) a few times as well as switch on and off the inverter to test? Silly questions I assume just don't want to cause damage.

My battery seems to not be discharging, what the correct way to switch off the whole system and then reboot?

Do I switch over the dB board to eskom usage, switch off batteries and then switch off the inverter via the dial (and not the on/off switch)? Then switch on the inverter, then the batteries and move over the dB switch to inverter? Screenshot_20210828-184715_SOLARMAN Smart.jpg

Last edited:

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The sequence does not matter as long as you remove all the power sources to the inverter, I have no idea if that will reboot the system and solve the problem you are having though.

Sayf777

Expert Member
Seems like the inverter is down now and doesn't want to switch on, don't know what could've caused it.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Seems like the inverter is down now and doesn't want to switch on, don't know what could've caused it.
That AC leakage thing? Try isolating AC from it for some time, it has probably gone into some protection mode or something which should self correct once you remove the source of the problem.

Sayf777

Expert Member
That AC leakage thing? Try isolating AC from it for some time, it has probably gone into some protection mode or something which should self correct once you remove the source of the problem.
Will leave it to the sparky for now unfortunately as it was his installation (and still under warranty) so don't want to take any chance when I'm still learning all if this :X

I've tried a few things, first I switched off the supply to the inverter to test if the batteries kick in (it didn't) but the inverter was reading the soc so I assume it's the fuses?

Then I just switched to eskom for a bit. After a while I switched back to inverter (to see if any new error messages may show) and just didn't worry about the batteries as they seemed fine (just not supplying the load) and the inverter just went off with minimal load after a bit. (Less then 2kw) so I switched back to eskom.

When I tried switching on the inverter again, it cycled all 4 of its lights on the panel every 30 seconds without any change to the lcd screen (it was off), so switched off all batteries and inverter as well as the string dB board off).

From the video I read the error message seems to a solar array issue, that drop off for production where it wasn't even meeting the minimal demand is not normal according to historical data on the app so it seems the input from solar was too much?

Though the error message came 6 hours later then it should've have if it was the solar panel.

Is there anything that I done that could'ce damaged it (in addition to the above I did try to switch on the pylon techs batteries (up pylontech) by pressing the sw button for 3 seconds and I did have a look at the fuse box but it couldn't open fully.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Will leave it to the sparky for now unfortunately as it was his installation (and still under warranty) so don't want to take any chance when I'm still learning all if this :X

I've tried a few things, first I switched off the supply to the inverter to test if the batteries kick in (it didn't) but the inverter was reading the soc so I assume it's the fuses?

Then I just switched to eskom for a bit. After a while I switched back to inverter (to see if any new error messages may show) and just didn't worry about the batteries as they seemed fine (just not supplying the load) and the inverter just went off with minimal load after a bit. (Less then 2kw) so I switched back to eskom.

When I tried switching on the inverter again, it cycled all 4 of its lights on the panel every 30 seconds without any change to the lcd screen (it was off), so switched off all batteries and inverter as well as the string dB board off).

From the video I read the error message seems to a solar array issue, that drop off for production where it wasn't even meeting the minimal demand is not normal according to historical data on the app so it seems the input from solar was too much?

Though the error message came 6 hours later then it should've have if it was the solar panel.

Is there anything that I done that could'ce damaged it (in addition to the above I did try to switch on the pylon techs batteries (up pylontech) by pressing the sw button for 3 seconds and I did have a look at the fuse box but it couldn't open fully.
No, I don't believe there is anything you could have done to damage anything, maybe the fuse popped as you suspect, it would be easy enough to test for battery voltage at the inverter to rule the fuses out, but do leave it to the installer to sort out out if you are not confident in your troubleshooting, it could be something minor.

Sayf777

Expert Member
No, I don't believe there is anything you could have done to damage anything, maybe the fuse popped as you suspect, it would be easy enough to test for battery voltage at the inverter to rule the fuses out, but do leave it to the installer to sort out out if you are not confident in your troubleshooting, it could be something minor.
Thank you for your responses, appreciate it.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Let installer run you through trouble shooting steps. That way can't say you did something.

Sayf777

Expert Member
I did, we previously spoke when he was on site regarding all the things I checked.

The question was more so that it also won't be him that will have to pay for the issue and more be a temporary thing or a inverter fault from manufacturer.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
3 degrees in Hillcrest as per this post:

That's pretty close.
I meant with the sun shining. 3 degrees with dark grey skies. Sun only came out the next day, then it was around 12 degrees.

EDIT: but I do get your point about temp compensation, but also, isn't this the panel temp? Lets say ambient is 5 degrees, as soon as the sun rises, the panel will start heating up and would heat up pretty quick?

Last edited:

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I meant with the sun shining. 3 degrees with dark grey skies. Sun only came out the next day, then it was around 12 degrees.

EDIT: but I do get your point about temp compensation, but also, isn't this the panel temp? Lets say ambient is 5 degrees, as soon as the sun rises, the panel will start heating up and would heat up pretty quick?
Yes it would, but it is not as fast as electrons.
Edit:It would also depend on the tolerances of your MPPT. We all know about cloud edge effect, and when there are high-med winds, clouds can clear pretty quickly.

Last edited: