Generator or Inverter for residential use?

AchmatK

Executive Member
Update on the sunsynk app

Some nice new features but not yet for our market.

Integration with Octopus via API in the UK so you can set to charge or sell based on their rates at the time. Basically charging your batteries from the grid when the price is low and selling back from the battery when the price is high. You can even specify at which rates to start feeding in and the rate to buy. You can sell at 20p and then buy at 5p.

@Sinbad not sure if you will consider anything like this. My wife was on octopus energy when she was in the UK last year.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Hi

Can the power to inverter switch trip?

Left side (but on right if facing photo)
b8afcc92e80047d83ecef00f9d3af343.jpg

Saba'a

Executive Member
Yes it can trip unless it's faulty which won't be a good thing.
Thanks

Just puzzled that few days ago, I got an F56 error and this switch was off. But F56 occurred probably because it was off as everything resumed once I switched it on.

Yet at DB no trip.

Just puzzled why it tripped IF it tripped?

Saba'a

Executive Member
Its a 40A so less as DB is 60A.

But never happened before. DB tripped in past, not inverter.

So really weird.

Thanks

AchmatK

Executive Member
My brother just bought his first house and asked me today to help him spec his system. He's using about R2500 per month for prepaid at CoCT tariffs. I need to check his last purchase and get an efergy to measure his consumption.

Basically going to start off a 5kw sunsynk and 8 x 450w solar panels. Also adding a Geyserwise to turn on the geyser during the day. Savings from solar will be put away to add batteries later on. Looking at R80k for the first phase that potentially could save him R1k to R1.5k per month.

I haven't checked prices in a long time so not sure what the current prices for the 5kw is or panel costs.

Got some good cloud edge spikes today making full use of my 10.37kw array. 20210919_114729.jpg

RonSwanson

Executive Member
My brother just bought his first house and asked me today to help him spec his system. He's using about R2500 per month for prepaid at CoCT tariffs. I need to check his last purchase and get an efergy to measure his consumption.

Basically going to start off a 5kw sunsynk and 8 x 450w solar panels. Also adding a Geyserwise to turn on the geyser during the day. Savings from solar will be put away to add batteries later on. Looking at R80k for the first phase that potentially could save him R1k to R1.5k per month.

I haven't checked prices in a long time so not sure what the current prices for the 5kw is or panel costs.

Got some good cloud edge spikes today making full use of my 10.37kw array. View attachment 1150736
10.37kWP --that's pumping man! :love:

It's great that your family can benefit from your solar experience, and that they can reach out to a trusted source of reliable information. Given the Eskom spend, I am very sure that he will recoup his costs soon, and assist others to do the same.

Reactions: air

wingnut771

Honorary Master

Got some good cloud edge spikes today making full use of my 10.37kw array. View attachment 1150736
Without a meter that can turn backwards and no batteries, aren't you wasting your time?

AchmatK

Executive Member
Without a meter that can turn backwards and no batteries, aren't you wasting your time?
They already cook with gas and his wife works from home. The aim is to first try and move most loads that can be moved to daytime and get consumption to a 65:35 split between day and night. No pool or aircons and only the geyser as the biggest user.

Every kwh from solar is an immediate saving that will be put towards the first battery in 10 to 12 months time. If load shedding does become an issue I can give home one of my batteries.

Limited budget at this moment so pv generation is first priority to not have to rely on the grid during the day.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Firstly thank you for spelling wasting correctly. I'm not a spelling Nazi and I realise that we are all human, but I must admit that I get the heebie-jeebies everytime I see "waisting" (and other derivatives).

With solar power, and many other energy alternatives, savings are undoubtedly proportional to expenditure. Electricity expenditure is typically on three Marxist scales in Johannesburg, CT would be similar :
  1. The "How dare you" entry level (up to 350kWh);
  2. PoS, fsck you Mofo (350kWh to 1000kWh;
  3. You are an ANC memba. Your mother owes my dog change (1000kWh to unlimited)
Clearly, if paying R2500 pm, you will fall into the higher brackets. Rather pay yourself.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Firstly thank you for spelling wasting correctly. I'm not a spelling Nazi and I realise that we are all human, but I must admit that I get the heebie-jeebies everytime I see "waisting" (and other derivatives).

With solar power, and many other energy alternatives, savings are undoubtedly proportional to expenditure. Electricity expenditure is typically on three Marxist scales in Johannesburg, CT would be similar :
Clearly, if paying R2500 pm, you will fall into the higher brackets. Rather pay yourself.
Actually this is Johannesburg
0 to 300 units
300 to 500 units
500 to unlimited

thehuman

Expert Member
They already cook with gas and his wife works from home. The aim is to first try and move most loads that can be moved to daytime and get consumption to a 65:35 split between day and night. No pool or aircons and only the geyser as the biggest user.

Every kwh from solar is an immediate saving that will be put towards the first battery in 10 to 12 months time. If load shedding does become an issue I can give home one of my batteries.

Limited budget at this moment so pv generation is first priority to not have to rely on the grid during the day.
They can even use excess electricity to cook with.
Geyserwise good idea , depending on excess solar he can maybe change to a lower wattage element too.

Tariqe

Also getting cloud spikes 6.05 kWh from a 6.4 kWp array.
I have consumed 406 kWh so far this month and grid consumption is 24.4 kWh, only have 4.8 kWh of battery power, therefore the Eskom spend

Attachments

• pv inverter.png
    pv inverter.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 37

ADrunkTeddyBear

Let me know if you need pricing. I have access to Segen Solar and Hubble portals for reseller pricing

AchmatK

Executive Member

Just using 25kwh per day takes you up to R2 250 per month on the average CoCT rate if R3/kwh