Generator or Inverter for residential use?

Tariqe

6.4 KwP and Cape Town, only issue, don't have enough loads ( washing machine/dishwasher/tumble dryer ) every day to fully utilize the array for the whole month.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Pushing my 8kw inverter today.

Inverting 8kw and pushing the rest to the battery.

This September is better than last year. Looking at sun hours and not just total PV production.

121 sun hours last September vs 125 sun hours this year. Screen_Recording_20210930-120328_SOLARMAN%20Smart_1.gif

AchmatK

Executive Member
I figured that I have to keep my battery at 80% if I want to make full use of the 10.3kw array during the middle of the day as it can only invert 8kw from DC to AC but can do 10kw from DC to DC if there is space in the battery for it to go to.

Tariqe

you are lucky with your spinning meter, might be best not to register your installation !!!!!!!
I was producing 5.83 kWh, till the battery reached 100%, now only have a 3.43 kWh load, so the rest is literally going to waste.

AchmatK

Executive Member
you are lucky with your spinning meter, might be best not to register your installation !!!!!!!
I was producing 5.83 kWh, till the battery reached 100%, now only have a 3.43 kWh load, so the rest is literally going to waste.
I'm going to eventually. Just making full use of what I have right now...and helping out Eskom in the process.

Neuk_

Executive Member
6.4 KwP and Cape Town, only issue, don't have enough loads ( washing machine/dishwasher/tumble dryer ) every day to fully utilize the array for the whole month.

We have this issue, even with our very small PV array, we simply don't have enough load during the day to keep the PV array anywhere near it's capability.

ADrunkTeddyBear

Expert Member
Quick update on my system. Install happened in the 1st weekend of July. Heres the stats so far

5kw Deye
2.7kw array (6 x 455w JA Solar)
4 x 100ah batteries (My December bonus will be spent on a Hubble AM-2)

1633010212275.png

AchmatK

Executive Member
My monthly tracking sheet.

I should plot this on a graph. Cumulative pv production vs declining cost per kWh vs CoCT average electricity tariffs over the life of the system. View attachment 1156364
Decided to plot this data and do a projection based on historical pv production and expected CoCT increases.

Assumptions on the graph below:

15% annual CoCT electricity tariff increases effective July every year.
No maintenance or upgrade during the period.

My average cost per kWh will be less than CoCT by January 2024 and I would have recovered my initial cost by September 2024, 51 months after commissioning.

If I decrease the expected CoCT increases to 10% per year, this changes to June 2024 and November 2024 respectively. IMG-20211001-WA0000.jpg

AchmatK

Executive Member
What 10kw of solar panels on an 8kw sunsynk does.

10kw DC from solar panels - > 8kw AC (to loads and grid) - > 2kw DC to charge batteries. 20211002_131526.jpg 20211002_131544.jpg

Edit. 1.75kw DC to charge batteries so about 250w in conversion losses.

ItherNiT

Can anybody recommend a good solar installer in the Randburg area?

I'm thinking of getting the Sunsynk 8kw with 2 Pylon US3000c (or hubble am2 5.5kw +riot) off solar forum.
Will add solar next year and probably also change to lp geyser at the same time.

Snyper564

Executive Member
I am most likely going to pull the trigger by the weekend on my installation. Then I will post my production etc as well.

Looking at the following:

8KW Sunsynk
12x535 JA Solar
2X5.5 AM2 Hubble

Current requirement is 12kw per day summer and 18kw winter

System is built to be over specd I want it to be as future proof as I can make it. Might add aircon etc in the future. Geysers are already on solar.

Decision is a combination of wanting to be as green as possible and less reliance on eskom the money and savings dont hurt either. I do not plan to go fully off the grid even though the system will pretty much allow that.
Payment made and a third hubble added. Installation to take place mid October will keep you guys posted.

Can almost officially say chow Eskom its not me its you :p

AchmatK

Executive Member
Payment made and a third hubble added. Installation to take place mid October will keep you guys posted.

Can almost officially say chow Eskom its not me its you :p
Good luck with the install. I remember what it was like counting down the days to having my first watt being generated from solar.

When the inverter is up and running and you have it connected to the Internet, first thing to do is to request a software upgrade. I can do the request on the sunsynk installer group or you can request it on their website.

AchmatK

Executive Member
I can now monitor the panel degradation by comparing sun hours from the same day from last year.

8.54kwp last year and 10.37kwp this year on the same day had the same number of sun hours. From what I've read, solar panels degrade at a rate of between 0.4% to 1% per year so it will take a few years before I see any significant drop or pv production. Screenshot_20211005-063803_SOLARMAN%20Business.jpg Screenshot_20211005-063724_SOLARMAN%20Business.jpg

Snyper564

Executive Member
Good luck with the install. I remember what it was like counting down the days to having my first watt being generated from solar.

When the inverter is up and running and you have it connected to the Internet, first thing to do is to request a software upgrade. I can do the request on the sunsynk installer group or you can request it on their website.
I am very much counting those days down.

I decided to keep everything on the essential side, especially as the geysers are already on evac tubes the system is large and may as full use it properly, oven is 2.5KW at full blast and induction is 1.8KW at full blast both I believe can be managed easily on the 8kw sunsynk. I dont care much about hopping onto the grid every now and then and when load shedding is up and about i will just be a little more mindful. For example if loadshedding was happening oven would not be used but stove would, doesnt get used more than 30min really and that 900w then of a 16.5kw bank so all good (I am aware of DoD etc)

Thanks for the advice on the software upgrade was actually something the installer mentioned that he will ensure is done before leaving, but will shout if I have any issues.

AchmatK

Executive Member
I am very much counting those days down.

I decided to keep everything on the essential side, especially as the geysers are already on evac tubes the system is large and may as full use it properly, oven is 2.5KW at full blast and induction is 1.8KW at full blast both I believe can be managed easily on the 8kw sunsynk. I dont care much about hopping onto the grid every now and then and when load shedding is up and about i will just be a little more mindful. For example if loadshedding was happening oven would not be used but stove would, doesnt get used more than 30min really and that 900w then of a 16.5kw bank so all good (I am aware of DoD etc)

Thanks for the advice on the software upgrade was actually something the installer mentioned that he will ensure is done before leaving, but will shout if I have any issues.
I also have evacuated tubes and use about 13kwh from midnight to 8am, 90% of that is when the 4kw element in the geyser switches on at 4:30am for hot water in the morning.

We have a gas stove and oven so sorted on the cooking side. Only other high draw appliances is the microwave, kettle, coffee machine and tumble dryer that only gets used in winter.

I also have 3 aircons but mainly only used in summer. Two are inverter type aircons, 24000btu and 12000btu. The other one is a normal 12000btu aircon. We never run them all at the same time. 24000btu runs during the day in the lounge and the 12000btu inverter aircon is only on at night in my bedroom when it's unbearably hot in the summer months.

You should be fine with everything on the essential side. The 8kw sunsynk has a pass through rate of 50A. This equates to 11kw in loads that it can run off the grid is available.

Basically what this means is that if your total load on the inverter is 10kw, the inverter will take what it can from solar or batteries up to 8kw, depending on settings, and the balance it will pull from the grid.

Snyper564

Executive Member
I also have evacuated tubes and use about 13kwh from midnight to 8am, 90% of that is when the 4kw element in the geyser switches on at 4:30am for hot water in the morning.

We have a gas stove and oven so sorted on the cooking side. Only other high draw appliances is the microwave, kettle, coffee machine and tumble dryer that only gets used in winter.

I also have 3 aircons but mainly only used in summer. Two are inverter type aircons, 24000btu and 12000btu. The other one is a normal 12000btu aircon. We never run them all at the same time. 24000btu runs during the day in the lounge and the 12000btu inverter aircon is only on at night in my bedroom when it's unbearably hot in the summer months.

You should be fine with everything on the essential side. The 8kw sunsynk has a pass through rate of 50A. This equates to 11kw in loads that it can run off the grid is available.

Basically what this means is that if your total load on the inverter is 10kw, the inverter will take what it can from solar or batteries up to 8kw, depending on settings, and the balance it will pull from the grid.
Just switched on my gpu onto mining and I see it can make about 2-2.5 usd a day using about 300 watts of power an hour.

Can use that to mop up the excess power. So thats an extra R1125 a month just from that :) (this may or may not seem like a lot, but its free money based on what the system is generating anyway) couple that with monthly powr savings of R1500 you now looking at R2600 a month not bad imo
1633423763359.png

Last edited: