Generator or Inverter for residential use?

ItherNiT

@ItherNiT , any particular reason for the Deye versus the Sunsynk

Thats what the installer can quoted. Personally I'd also prefer a Sunsynk, I've sent him a msg, lets see if he can get one.

As far as I understand they both coming out of the same factory and are mostly the same?

Pretty happy with what I'm getting for the price :)

ItherNiT

No service / network fees, yet.

Nice, good choice! But what made you go for the Shoto batteries? Are you aware of some of the fairly serious issues, like no comms between inverter and BMS?

As far as I know the 5.12kw have a com bus. They are well priced (13k per battery).
Is the comms the only issue you are aware off?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Thats what the installer can quoted. Personally I'd also prefer a Sunsynk, I've sent him a msg, lets see if he can get one.

As far as I understand they both coming out of the same factory and are mostly the same?

Pretty happy with what I'm getting for the price :)
Make sure that the salesperson guarantees comms compatibility between the inverter and BMS, preferably in writing.

furpile

Expert Member
One of my friends want to get an inverter installed mainly for loadshedding (2 hour blocks) since he is working form home. The local installers have quoted him on the 5kW Deye inverter and a 5.1kWh battery from Lithium Batteries South Africa.

Is the Deye and the Sunsynk basically the same unit or is there a preference to rather get the Sunsynk?

Has anybody used these batteries from LBSA? The life cycles stated on the spec sheet they sent him and on their website are quite different. I am not sure if it is 100% the same product but that is the only battery on their website. Should he rather get the Hubble for slightly more?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
One of my friends want to get an inverter installed mainly for loadshedding (2 hour blocks) since he is working form home. The local installers have quoted him on the 5kW Deye inverter and a 5.1kWh battery from Lithium Batteries South Africa.

Is the Deye and the Sunsynk basically the same unit or is there a preference to rather get the Sunsynk?

Has anybody used these batteries from LBSA? The life cycles stated on the spec sheet they sent him and on their website are quite different. I am not sure if it is 100% the same product but that is the only battery on their website. Should he rather get the Hubble for slightly more?
Hardware is the same, but Sunsynk has a different OS to the Deye, and is reputed to have better support in SA. If it were me, I'd go for the Hubble for a number of reasons.

AchmatK

Executive Member

They are the same but I think most here would agree that the sunsynk interface is just so much better.

Support for both units are from the same people.

Can't comment on the battery but hubble Am2 5.5kw is a good option matched with this inverter.

furpile

Expert Member
Thanks, that confirms my suspicions. I will ask him to get a quote for the Sunsynk and Hubble combo.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Quote a colleague received.

Reasonable?
87b851cb98baf7960bb97af3b40a3455.jpg

Saba'a

Executive Member
Question is whether cost reasonable.

Not sure what make battery it is. Only states a lithium.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Quote a colleague received.

Reasonable?
87b851cb98baf7960bb97af3b40a3455.jpg
Quite reasonable, especially on the panels, but as you have pointed out, a little thin on the details, and VAT right at the end messes with the pricing a bit.
Apart from the batteries' creds,
  • How will the battery be mounted / stored?
  • Is the inverter with or without dongle? Pricing suggests with, but need to ask, otherwise it becomes a line item on quote #2
  • What brand of mounting system, and is it suitable for the roof (IBR vs tile vs slate)?
  • PV and battery cable thicknesses? This is important if you consider that most barebones installs get a few panels added in the first 6 months, get the wiring right so it does not have to be done twice.
  • What PV cable is being quoted -- is it certified PV cable, and does it include earth?
  • Earth spikes missing.
  • How are they proposing to trunk the PV cable? No mention of galvanised pipe.
  • Earth neutral bridge relay missing.
  • Why is a PV combiner box necessary? Did they mean a PV DB box instead, because it's missing.
  • Does it include surge protection on the PV?
  • No AC and DC switches, including changeover are specified.
  • 6 panels, so I assume best practices will be employed -- 3 per MPPT. Is the voltage (under load) sufficient to kickstart the MPPT (125V) early enough, or only after 10H00?
  • Has a site inspection been done by the installer, and does the installer have references?
It seems to be quite a vague and generic quote, cut to the bone.

Lunix

Quite reasonable, especially on the panels, but as you have pointed out, a little thin on the details, and VAT right at the end messes with the pricing a bit.
Apart from the batteries' creds,
  • How will the battery be mounted / stored?
  • Is the inverter with or without dongle? Pricing suggests with, but need to ask, otherwise it becomes a line item on quote #2
  • What brand of mounting system, and is it suitable for the roof (IBR vs tile vs slate)?
  • PV and battery cable thicknesses? This is important if you consider that most barebones installs get a few panels added in the first 6 months, get the wiring right so it does not have to be done twice.
  • What PV cable is being quoted -- is it certified PV cable, and does it include earth?
  • Earth spikes missing.
  • How are they proposing to trunk the PV cable? No mention of galvanised pipe.
  • Earth neutral bridge relay missing.
  • Why is a PV combiner box necessary? Did they mean a PV DB box instead, because it's missing.
  • Does it include surge protection on the PV?
  • No AC and DC switches, including changeover are specified.
  • 6 panels, so I assume best practices will be employed -- 3 per MPPT. Is the voltage (under load) sufficient to kickstart the MPPT (125V) early enough, or only after 10H00?
  • Has a site inspection been done by the installer, and does the installer have references?
It seems to be quite a vague and generic quote, cut to the bone.
Solar Inverter Warehouse - Edenvale near the Makro -

1636710802653.png
This is including VAT

furpile

Expert Member
I am trying to keep track of our current consumption, to plan my (hopefully soon) solar install. The best is probably to get an Efergy or similar, but I found this app on the Play Store. You can log your meter reading as often as you want, and it works out your average consumption over each period. It obviously also keeps track of your daily/weekly/monthly consumption. I will not pick up the short duration peak loads that the Efergy will record, but if you do this a few times a day you should get pretty accurate values of different times of the day.