Generator or Inverter for residential use?

MEIOT

Expert Member
Thanks Noob can you check for definite whether the King runs only when theres a load?As i posted last night mine runs at 55dbs right at the inverter and 45dbs @ 1m away which is not quiet and thats with a 70W load.If the King is in fact totally silent as you say on low/very little load i need to go back to the installer and insist he swaps with a King.
Not sure it will be a simple swap-out. Those are two inherently different inverters for different use cases. The King has more functionality and is a hybrid inverter. Still worth the swap with a small pay in I reckon.

thehuman

Expert Member
Maybe post a picture of the display, lets see what it doing, while in bypass and charging at low current the fan should be off , if it same as my 3kva proline

saflyfish

Strange I got hold of mecer mustek tech support and they assured me ALL of them run at 30 percent regardless of load

thechamp

Honorary Master
Strange I got hold of mecer mustek tech support and they assured me ALL of them run at 30 percent regardless of load
They are talking nonsense, can't you hear yours running at a higher speed when you plug something heavy? The speed is certainly not constant, it goes up with the load.

saflyfish

The fans run at a minimum of 30% 24/7 however when loaded up can go from 30 to 100%

Gozado

@saflyfish
Apart from your investigations into what can make the noise less, you might also look into what can better manage the noise. Sounds can be amplified or muffled, or counteracted, or overridden, or deflected or directed, and it might take you a few days to experiment with one or several of these methods to block out a sound.
  • Make sure your amplifier's new home is not in or right next to an echo chamber or natural amplifier, including hollow spaces behind it, or in furniture nearby.
  • Since your inverter needs air, you can't safely muffle it right there. But you could hang a thick curtain somewhere between it and you, to catch the sound-waves.
  • You could try: either generate some other sound to cancel that one out, or play a [louder?] sound you prefer.
  • Perhaps it'd be effective to put up a screen, not right next to the inverter (air, heat) but a metre or two away, or a metre or two from your bedroom door or inside your bedroom. You can experiment with cheap materials like a sheet of polystyrene or a large, flattened cardboard box. Tilt it at an angle so the sound waves hit it but then bounce off into another direction.
  • By the same token, check whether any doors between you and it are, perhaps, inadvertently angled so as to maximise the noise transfer, perhaps repeatedly.

Splinter

Honorary Master
@Steamy Tom - was it this thread that you "built" me an inverter system? Looking for it. The parts were from powerstore or something like that?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
An update: Just got a whatsapp from the BYD tech guru in Cape Town, asking for a delivery address...
So I think I'm getting a new battery :)
yup, getting a new battery. Just need to provide my own doom to kill the coronas. :D

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
@Steamy Tom - was it this thread that you "built" me an inverter system? Looking for it. The parts were from powerstore or something like that?
erm, maybe i honestly can't remember. i can "build" you a system again but if i recall on a budget it would have been an axpert king with 1-2 pylontechs and fuses.

Splinter

Honorary Master
erm, maybe i honestly can't remember. i can "build" you a system again but if i recall on a budget it would have been an axpert king with 1-2 pylontechs and fuses.
Ok thanks

Edit: looking at goodies on powerstore right now. Eina.

I'm more interested in reputable companies/people who can do the install as well

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Ok thanks

Edit: looking at goodies on powerstore right now. Eina.

I'm more interested in reputable companies/people who can do the install as well
what area more or less are you in?

what would you like to run on it and for how long? as you could go with a 3kva or 5kva unit really, imo i would take the 5kva but it depends on your plans and your future plans.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Broken battery bit me in the bum last night.

BMS was reporting SOC of 40% when load shedding started.
However, BMS was assuming 100% SOC of the faulty battery... So actual SOC was 15% :eek:

2 hours into the loadshedding that started at midnight, I was awakened by the beep of a UPS...

/mumble

Have now removed the faulty unit from the cabinet, so at least the SOC is accurate.

Splinter

Honorary Master
what area more or less are you in?

what would you like to run on it and for how long? as you could go with a 3kva or 5kva unit really, imo i would take the 5kva but it depends on your plans and your future plans.
Cape Town. I've been mulling over a range of ideas:

- a smallish setup that will cover a couple of lights, the router, fibre, PC (or flatscreen and PS4),
- spending a bit more on higher quality equipment with room to upgrade in future if need be
- a full on solar install

The problem is it also depends on your outlook of the future of SA. If one thinks that we are going to end up like Zimbabwe or Nigeria where they have extended blackouts, then options 2 and 3 are the way to go.

If one expects a couple of years of intermittent load shedding, then its the first option.