Generator or Inverter for residential use?

crawler

Expert Member
I know they world's apart

Can someone list differences please

Want to call installer and ask for an upgrade on inverter of equivalent 5kw

Any model recommendations?

thechamp

Honorary Master
I know they world's apart

Can someone list differences please

Want to call installer and ask for an upgrade on inverter of equivalent 5kw

Any model recommendations?
Doesn't the Axpert have everything you need? Or you aren't sure what your needs are? I don't see the reason to just upgrade for the sake of it. I can't really understand your dilemma, perhaps you need to define exactly what your needs are.

crawler

Expert Member
Want to run of panels during the day exclusively, if possible

Batteries must be for outages only

Already have gas stove and geyser in place

Will be for 4 bedroom house

Be able to monitor system on laptop or phone

Any other nice to haves?

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Any other nice to haves?
Not a good use case IMHO.
You will (hopefully) have more generation capacity than you use during large parts of the day. This goes to waste if you can't store it.
Your ROI on your panels and inverter will be much shorter if you cycle batteries as well. So you need LiFePo batteries...

crawler

Expert Member
Not a good use case IMHO.
You will (hopefully) have more generation capacity than you use during large parts of the day. This goes to waste if you can't store it.
Your ROI on your panels and inverter will be much shorter if you cycle batteries as well. So you need LiFePo batteries...
Thanks
So the batteries need to be used during day if not enough power is generated or use batteries during night time?

Can dod etc be set on inverter?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Thanks
So the batteries need to be used during day if not enough power is generated or use batteries during night time?

Can dod etc be set on inverter?
You run the batteries when load exceeds solar generation, down to their DoD limit, and then charge the batteries with surplus solar generation while your load is low.
Yes a decent inverter/management system and BMS can manage your DoD, charge current etc.

Here's my batteries' SOC over 4 days

1591790142383.png

thechamp

Honorary Master

Any other nice to haves?
Depends on your available solar power and your energy demands.

Batteries will come on to assist if solar is not enough.

That Synapse inverter is suspiciously too cheap to be good enough, since you don't have the model number I cannot check properly. If you decide on a Axpert get yourself a proper Axpert King or equivalent, from initial research I saw that it cannot be parallel connected, that could mean it is a basic inverter in other aspects as well.

Link to an Axpert King.

I don't have enough knowledge on te Victrons, maybe someone will advice.

crawler

Expert Member
You run the batteries when load exceeds solar generation, down to their DoD limit, and then charge the batteries with surplus solar generation while your load is low.
Yes a decent inverter/management system and BMS can manage your DoD, charge current etc.

Here's my batteries' SOC over 4 days

View attachment 857403
Thanks for infoand the graph, will get pricing on lifepo batteries

crawler

Expert Member
Depends on your available solar power and your energy demands.

Batteries will come on to assist if solar is not enough.

That Synapse inverter is suspiciously too cheap to be good enough, since you don't have the model number I cannot check properly. If you decide on a Axpert get yourself a proper Axpert King or equivalent, from initial research I saw that it cannot be parallel connected, that could mean it is a basic inverter in other aspects as well.

Link to an Axpert King.

I don't have enough knowledge on te Victrons, maybe someone will advice.
Thanks. Never knew about the King model.

spiff

Executive Member
came across this ad from another forum - if anyone is interested still available.

Afternoon All,
Selling the following after aborting a building project (thanks Covid):
1.6kW Solar Solution Still unpackaged
1x Victron SmartSolar charge controller MPPT 75 | 15
1x Victron Phoenix Inverter Compact 12V 1200VA 230V AC
2x JA Solar Panels 335W
2x Exide 12V 102Ah RC180min Silver Calcium Gel Batteries
R15 000 ONCO
Viewing in Midrand on prior arrangement.
Delivery anywhere in Gauteng included
Contact George on 0829227007

Messugga

Honorary Master
came across this ad from another forum - if anyone is interested still available.

Afternoon All,
Selling the following after aborting a building project (thanks Covid):
1.6kW Solar Solution Still unpackaged
1x Victron SmartSolar charge controller MPPT 75 | 15
1x Victron Phoenix Inverter Compact 12V 1200VA 230V AC
2x JA Solar Panels 335W
2x Exide 12V 102Ah RC180min Silver Calcium Gel Batteries
R15 000 ONCO
Viewing in Midrand on prior arrangement.
Delivery anywhere in Gauteng included
Contact George on 0829227007
Nothing there is 1.6kW.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Not a bad deal but Eskom is still playing nice, I doubt there would be too much interest.

russellw1

Victron (multiplus, Quatro etc) inverters and others like Microcare are bidirectional so they can work with Eskom to boost power or stand alone when Eskom fails. Other inverters like Axpert are UPS types so can work only as standalone when power fails. I think the power boost is the best feature of Victron. It adds your solar power to what you are using and so reduces the bill. They can also work as grid-tie which is illegal in South Africa because as an Eskom inspector once told me "You are not allowed to use Eskom as a battery"

adielk

Executive Member
My budget was R50K but with equipment at R46K plus another R10.5K for install I went slightly over.
A similar system with two cool but butt ugly Pylon batteries would have been closer to R90-100K with install.

I'll PM you the guy/company I used if you're interested (Ranburg/Roodepoort region).

It was their first Lithium install but they were bloody excellent at support and I'd gladly pay it again if I could.

I almost tried the install myself at some point but that would have been a really dumb idea, you really need to know what you're doing (at least I can say I was the one who figured out the battery comms issue :))
Pity I'm in Pretoria East. Love the system.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
So the initial Aha! moment is over and the look and sound of the inverter next to my kitchen is getting to me.
It's time to cover it up... with something....

Came up with a custom build using a wall panel and door with holes in so I can close it off, it'll still have lots of airflow and will fit in with the mix of "hole" panels and solid panels in the motorized room divider next to it (currently not motorized, don't ask).

I won't lie, it's a k@kload of work getting everything aligned and perfect when you don't even have someone to hold something up for you for a sec. Not to mention not having a garage or workshop, you end up having to do weird things, like first mounting a component so you can primer paint it, then taking it off again and doing the rest etc. piece by piece (so you don't have to leave things outside in the complex garden, turns out veldfires etc. drop a crapload of soot, dust etc. in the air during winter so painting outside is a nightmare).

I know it looks terrible in the pics since I've only used pink primer on the one part and I'm still busy finalizing the door I built before painting it all white, even closed up some of the door panel holes this morning one by one and sanded it down so the white coat will look consistent and not cast uneven shadows when some of the holes are plugged with no-more-nails glue from the frame... but once this this is painted I think it'll look great next to the sliding room divider I built 2 years ago.

When all is done I'll come up with some or other way to mount LED's either as feature lights or something, not sure exactly what, have a ton of options. All I know is I've got one wireless switch left open in the kitchen so this "thing" might make a nice night-light feature.

View attachment 855619 View attachment 855617
View attachment 855615 View attachment 855621
View attachment 855625View attachment 855623View attachment 855627

I also ordered some gunmetal gray panels of this stuff today so I can lign the inside of the door panel and wall in the compartment where the inverter is for sound dampening, gotta keep enough space open for airflow of course but I think I know what I need to do to eliminate most of the sound reflective surfaces, will be really interesting to see what difference it makes.

View attachment 855633

This all will be Phase#1.
Phase#2 will happen when I redo and repaint the kitchen.
Paint the DB cable strips same colour as the wall, fill the gaps between the wall panel and paint it all the same colour so it looks like a "wall outgrowth" and blend the battery+inverter door with the room divider to give that "floating" effect.

For now, I want the ability to separate the whole system and re-adjust or replace if needed without f**ing up "permanent fixtures".

I don't know, maybe I'm just an annoying lazy bastard, but all this feels worthy of sharing since the devil's always in the details. I don't do this sh*t for a living so whatever I f**k up along the way might be worth sharing.
Finally done with project "Hide that sh*t", was no fun with the cold weather in the past few weeks.

Almost had a heart attack just now when I tried to switch everything on and.... nothing.... not even a beep.
Turns out I had to hold in a hidden reset button on the battery since it goes into hibernation mode if not used for a while.
Thank the gods manuals! :ROFL:

1592742275134.png

1592741330653.png
1592741368249.png
1592741391658.png
1592741427601.png

Might do one more thing though, like installing an LED feature lamp on top of the inverter where the square open space is.
Will make it look like som old school Tesla lab thing mixed with the new.

1592741797691.png

Last edited:

phil77

Hi guys, i would want to create backup power for my house just in case loadshedding starts again. The appliances that i will need to run do not exceed 500w and would like to run for about 4 hours. My budget is R10000 and would need some help on selecting the components.
I saw a 200ah 12v Mecer 2nd life lithium battery for about R7000 online. I already have an inverter but i think its modified sine wave and a lead acid battery charger which may not work with the lithium battery.
I'm guessing i only need an inverter/charger combo if i get the battery. What would you recommend?

thechamp

Honorary Master
Hi guys, i would want to create backup power for my house just in case loadshedding starts again. The appliances that i will need to run do not exceed 500w and would like to run for about 4 hours. My budget is R10000 and would need some help on selecting the components.
I saw a 200ah 12v Mecer 2nd life lithium battery for about R7000 online. I already have an inverter but i think its modified sine wave and a lead acid battery charger which may not work with the lithium battery.
I'm guessing i only need an inverter/charger combo if i get the battery. What would you recommend?
Which inverter do you have?