Generator or Inverter for residential use?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
This was the issue I had when my girlfriend innocently ordered our 3kVa :unsure: We can run another 3kVa in parallel but it would have been more cost effective and easier to just get a 5kVa in the long run. A neighbour up the road has an 8kVa Quattro and runs her entire house off of it with PylonTech batteries and around 20 PV panels.
The quattro is nice because you can connect your generator into it, and charge your batteries off that if there's LS and no sun.

Lupus

Honorary Master
So I'm getting a small little 950w genny to power the stuff in the lounge and trying to organise some batteries to sort out my inverter for the study.

thechamp

Honorary Master
So I'm getting a small little 950w genny to power the stuff in the lounge and trying to organise some batteries to sort out my inverter for the study.
Get yourself a proper brand and hope it lives to the brand name, the Chinese brands rattles themselves out of the mountings and before you know it its a huge racket with all the bolts working themselves loose, cheapskates are too cheap to even put some lock tight on the bolts.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Get yourself a proper brand and hope it lives to the brand name, the Chinese brands rattles themselves out of the mountings and before you know it its a huge racket with all the bolts working themselves loose, cheapskates are too cheap to even put some lock tight on the bolts.
It's a Ryobi?

thechamp

Honorary Master
It's totally not a bad idea to have one of those to charge the batteries for when load shedding and fauts take too long to resolve.

adielk

Executive Member
I think it's the biggest single phase inverter for domestic use. I think it's much better than getting 2 x 5kw inverters in parallel.
Just thinking. If one fails, one can bypass and use functioning one on its own. While if 8kv one goes, have to replace in toto.

I should be able to function with 5KV. 10KV really just to ensure I have headroom.

Biggest issue now is my geysers x 3.

signates

Executive Member
Just thinking. If one fails, one can bypass and use functioning one on its own. While if 8kv one goes, have to replace in toto.

I should be able to function with 5KV. 10KV really just to ensure I have headroom.

I get that.

5 year warrantee is included. Only concern would be downtime if it fails in that time but I should have my second 8kw unit by then so will have two eventually when I'm completely off grid.

A bit excited as I've paid last week and delivery expected this Friday. Also added the WiFi module for monitoring via their app or Web portal.

Speedster

Honorary Master

Does the inverter have a programmable relay?

adielk

Executive Member
I get that.

5 year warrantee is included. Only concern would be downtime if it fails in that time but I should have my second 8kw unit by then so will have two eventually when I'm completely off grid.

A bit excited as I've paid last week and delivery expected this Friday. Also added the WiFi module for monitoring via their app or Web portal.
Paid for my inverter and installation. Will pay for batteries (decided 2 safer than one) next week.

adielk

Executive Member
I get that.

Wonder if Kodak has a wifi module. Doubt it, since its a cheap inverter compared to Victron etc.

But a good toe testing .

adielk

Executive Member
If it has a relay you could set it to activate the geysers once the batteries are full
For now I wont have solar panels, so not relevant for now as my issue is more loadshedding. Murphys law no power outages since I ordered the kit.

Thought of solar geysers then only PV panels.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
For now I wont have solar panels, so not relevant for now as my issue is more loadshedding. Murphys law no power outages since I ordered the kit.

we had power issues sometimes like 2-3 times a week, or at very least once in a 2 week period we would have a really bad outage of like 24-72hours. For like the first 2-3 months after i had put my unit in we had like no issues xD

Speedster

Honorary Master

If you're going PV you might as well skip the solar geyser

adielk

Executive Member
If you're going PV you might as well skip the solar geyser
Thanks but thought I cant run geysers (have 3) from inverter???

Initially will have only 1 x 5KV. Will install 2nd 5KV next year.

Hopefully add more batteries as well. A frirnd had an outage for 4 days!

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Thanks but thought I cant run geysers (have 3) from inverter???

Initially will have only 1 x 5KV. Will install 2nd 5KV next year.

Hopefully add more batteries as well. A frirnd had an outage for 4 days!
imo going for seperate solar geysers like you want is a better idea, just my opinion.