Get a load of this: Digital TV and the DoC

staff reporter suffering from pmt? :) need more articles like this (and realistically you could choose most areas the DoC is involved in and write something with pretty much the same bottom line)

staff reporter suffering from pmt? :) need more articles like this (and realistically you could choose most areas the DoC is involved in and write something with pretty much the same bottom line)
I suspect he could not hold it in after reading listening to the latest communications budget vote speech ;)

I believe he is working on a similar broadband article :)

What is the point of digital terrestrial TV when it's so cheap to get TopTV or DSTV (the lower end packages). It kind of makes this whole migration moot.

My advice:

Your next article on this should be in five years time when something that seems at least significant would have happened.

There is clearly no hurry in Africa.

Appoint the right person for the job irrespective of skin color or political alignment and we'll see progress.

Until then .. enjoy the mess that is the ANC.

The SABC can't afford to sunset the current analogue system in favour of DTT. Who will pay to watch SABC? I only pay because I could not get DStv otherwise, let alone a TV, from an legitimate shop. The old TV's I sold or gave away (4 of them already) were to people I know for a fact do not have or intend to get a TV Licence. That statistic alone (1 paying vs 4 non-paying) worries the SABC; I reckon in real terms it is more like 1 paying for every 100 non-paying TV owners.

The SABC can't afford to sunset the current analogue system in favour of DTT. Who will pay to watch SABC? I only pay because I could not get DStv otherwise, let alone a TV, from an legitimate shop. The old TV's I sold or gave away (4 of them already) were to people I know for a fact do not have or intend to get a TV Licence. That statistic alone (1 paying vs 4 non-paying) worries the SABC; I reckon in real terms it is more like 1 paying for every 100 non-paying TV owners.

There's absolutely no requirement from DSTV to be in possession of a TV license in order to be a subscriber. At no stage do they ever ask you for your TV license details.

I am a DSTV subscriber and I don't have a TV license. I don't even need a TV license because I watch DSTV through an LED monitor with an HDMI connection.

There's absolutely no requirement from DSTV to be in possession of a TV license in order to be a subscriber. At no stage do they ever ask you for your TV license details.

I am a DSTV subscriber and I don't have a TV license. I don't even need a TV license because I watch DSTV through an LED monitor with an HDMI connection.
Correct! You cannot however buy a decoder from some stores without having one.

Correct! You cannot however buy a decoder from some stores without having one.

Can't speak for other stores, but I bought my decoder from Game and they didn't ask. I think you would be well within your rights to complain if they required a TV license to buy a DSTV decoder seeing as there is no legal requirement to have one to purchase a decoder.

I suspect he could not hold it in after reading listening to the latest communications budget vote speech ;)

I believe he is working on a similar broadband article :)

i know how he feels
maybe rename him to "the red pen"

Fantastic article guys. Hard hitting, detailed and thorough journalism. Keep it up!

What a bunch of UTTERLY USELESS incompotent "politician people" we have!

Surely there needs to be some accountability had and minimum education levels, and firings on the double ?

Can't speak for other stores, but I bought my decoder from Game and they didn't ask. I think you would be well within your rights to complain if they required a TV license to buy a DSTV decoder seeing as there is no legal requirement to have one to purchase a decoder.

So what do you do when you have to buy a new TV?

Back