Get off taxi, you're too fat

Cara

Expert Member
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2231770,00.html

The manager of Thulamela Municipality, Makonde Mathivha, has been ordered to pay R50 000 to a woman who claims she was insulted over her weight by a traffic officer who ejected her from a taxi, the Sowetan reported on Monday.

The woman was allegedly told she was too fat to be in a taxi, the report said.
Maybe he thought the exercise of walking home would help :D. Guess they won't make that mistake again ... R50 000 is a decent payout ... I'll take a R50 000 insult any day :D.

Cara

Expert Member
I'm sure that most/all of the payout was for wrongful arrest. But it's good to hear that she pursued the issue (happened back in 2002) because she most probably doesn't have access to many other forms of transport so it's quite cruel to kick her off what is most possibly the only means of transport for her.

sox63

Executive Member
If this was the US, I'm sure she could have gotten a couple of millions. :D

But generally, some taxis have stickers that say "no heavyweights in the front seat", I dont actually know why, but have always thought to myself it has to do with too much weight on the front axle, what with the engine and all.

Crabby

Honorary Master
But generally, some taxis have stickers that say "no heavyweights in the front seat", I dont actually know why, but have always thought to myself it has to do with too much weight on the front axle, what with the engine and all.
I find myself in said taxis quite often and its not really that easy to sit still and not be pushing and shoving the driver when you have a tubthumper next to you closest to the door. That and the fact that they don't really fit would be my guess as to the reason.

lsuacner

Expert Member
How is it fair towards average-weight people if they have to sit in an uncomfortable position to accommodate oversized people? We are not all equal, if we were we would all be equal. Pointing out obvious differences or stating what everyone else thinks should not be punished. I'm sure the injured party knows she is overweight, just because someone wasn't kind enough to pretend she isn't should not entitle her to R50 000. She going to raid McDonalds with her compensation?

Sweetlicks

do people feel that overweight ppl should be charged extra on public transport like planes, trains and ... automobiles ???

CathJ

Expert Member
How is it fair towards average-weight people if they have to sit in an uncomfortable position to accommodate oversized people? We are not all equal, if we were we would all be equal. Pointing out obvious differences or stating what everyone else thinks should not be punished. I'm sure the injured party knows she is overweight, just because someone wasn't kind enough to pretend she isn't should not entitle her to R50 000. She going to raid McDonalds with her compensation?
Yeah, but this wasn't some random passenger saying she's fat, it was a cop! It was totally uncalled for (plus, as mentioned above, the compensation was probably mostly due to the fact that he arrested her because she complained that he was humiliating her).

JK8

Banned
do people feel that overweight ppl should be charged extra on public transport like planes, trains and ... automobiles ???
If I was a taxi driver and I could make R10 of 2 people and instead of the same space for 1 person....
Ye Id chase her out.:eek:

Cara

Expert Member
It's fair to charge bigger people more. After all shops charge more for bigger size clothing because it requires more fabric. But these things must be stated up front. If there was a sign saying that fat people must not sit in the front seat then the metro cop had every right to haul her out. But I don't think we ever have to humiliate people.

Having said that, we may need to hear back from the metro cop on this one ... I've seen some of those big mama's throw a fit and it's not an easy task to deal with it ... they really do know how to push their weight around ... hee, hee, hee (that's my attempt at a hideous pun to lighten up your day :D).