Get yourself a great Wi-Fi router – It is worth it

chopsky

Expert Member
If you have an existing fibre router, you could also connect a quality AC access point to your router and get much the same result.

Last edited:

McT

The Humble Scot!
Prices range from ZAR 4,900 - 7,000. The HO won't wait till dawn to shoot me. It'll be instant death.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Prices range from ZAR 4,900 - 7,000. The HO won't wait till dawn to shoot me. It'll be instant death.
We got it on special for R4,999. Not cheap, but the performance really is impressive (the last test was done on 5GHz - I am sure it would have been even higher on 2.4GHz since it had to pass through a few walls).

Space

We got it on special for R4,999. Not cheap, but the performance really is impressive (the last test was done on 5GHz - I am sure it would have been even higher on 2.4GHz since it had to pass through a few walls).
Asus is good, but at this price-point, one has to compare more professional equipment like MikroTIK, Ubiquiti, Draytek, Ruckus, et al ?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
At that price point I definitely wouldn't be buying an Asus router... I'd stump up for entry level enterprise stuff such as ubiquiti or similar.

I got lucky and my house runs on openmesh stuff thanks to mybb... 2 tiny little aps and my whole 2000sqm property is covered quite nicely with no speed drops

Pietercvdm

The Asus RT-AC5300 is one amazing piece of equipment but for people at home the cost of it is a bit too much, not just that if you do have a specific look to your home or home office it might look like a visit from aliens came early. That said, I wouldn't mind it in my home for the pure speed it brings. "The better the internet speed the happier the family". LOL

Genisys

Executive Member
I'd have also opted for Mikrotik or Ubiquity at that price point.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
What software was used to measure the speed of the wifi network?
Looks like MyBB's speedtest.

I doubt that, edge 5GHz signal still has a better throughput than 2.4 Ghz does.
I am currently at the edge of my signal for 5GHz, getting about 130Mbps throughput on 5GHz, 18Mbps on 2.4GHz.

2.4 reaches through another 2 walls though, falls down to 12Mbps, 5GHz doesn't manage that.

Last edited:

SirMCDeats

Anyone have any recommendations that won't bankrupt an oil tycoon?

I've got a two story house and I'm really struggling. I've even tried powerline but that has been inconsistent at best (getting loads of drops and connections failing between the two floors).

Genisys

Executive Member

I've got a two story house and I'm really struggling. I've even tried powerline but that has been inconsistent at best (getting loads of drops and connections failing between the two floors).
Unifi AP's. If budget permits go with something like OpenMesh.

OneKnight

It is all fun and games until everyone and his dog around you also have their Wi-Fi up and running, and then it is like driving a Ferrari during rush hour on the N1. ;)

Back in 2000 I had the only Wi-Fi network running for at least five years, before the rest of the neighborhood got clued up, and now I have to content with at least 12 networks on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, which do not work out so well. :(

Good idea for an article.

I'd have also opted for Mikrotik or Ubiquity at that price point.
@rpm I would like some comparative speeds with equipment like Genisys mentions here, so we can see that 5k is worth it compared to 2k, as an example. maybe even a range of routers with pricing start at cheap to expensive

jetlee

unifi for the win .. Had endless Wifi Issues with every brand that makes a router .. only when I bought a ubiquity AC pro, did I realise how bad my wireless had been up to that point. It looks the part, and is a superb piece of hardware ...

Highly recommended

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Nothing beats wire for speed.

Wifi is for tablets and phones and the odd laptop not being used in it's usual location.

Looney

Expert Member
I have 3 unifi's around my house and I love them. Great coverage! I did however have to buy a new router when my fibre was installed. So I went with the Asus RT-AC88U and loaded merlin firmware. Great router. Looks so badass!

Insint

Expert Member

You would need two access points, one top floor and one ground floor connected with good old CAT5e or rather CAT6 cable.

Cables are always better, wireless should be a secondary option used only for laptops and phones.

Last edited: