Getting 2018 LG TV to work with Amazon Alexa

TedLasso

Expert Member
Trying to do the same with Alexa for my new TV but not winning. Super pissed off. It seems the TV's firmware causes a lot of the restrictions . I noticed for example, I cannot find/download say the iPlayer app.

What's the point that when you search for TVs specs the US site comes up first showing you all the cool stuff and then for those of us that are interested in Alexa/ etc - we are sold and then the TV shows you that you can go an smoke stuff. Now I will probably jusr continue to use my firestick and appletv until I can upgrade them to 4K.

Diabolix

Not sure what more we can do to complain to LG to get this service working. They blame Amazon, as it's not 'officially' supported in South Africa.

FF1024

Anybody got google assistant working?
The setup tile is also missing from my 2020 version LG tv...
Quite frustrating...

jwdeklerk

Anyone got this to work yet? Please also PM the LG manager details to log a complaint.

I bought a 75" LG 2021 model, and getting the issue, bot supported in your region when trying to connect to Google Home.

davidcosgrave

Hi same problem with Alexa on my 2021 LG Tv…did anyone get any joy from LG management? If it would help, I can also log a complaint if someone sends details?

FF1024

Very frustrating... Blatant false advertising as even on the website for SA it sells it as the main selling point.
I think we should all do hellopeter.
Also go rate the TV 1 star on takealot or wherever you bought it.

davidcosgrave

Hi everyone

Well I have good news. As I sit now here in Johannesburg, my new LG Tv is working with my Alexa Echo.
The trick is to change the Region (Area) Code. Here are the steps:

You need to put the TV in service mode. This shouldn’t be a problem except it is - because this doesn’t work on the Magic Remote.
  1. This can be done with either an older LG remote or the LG service remote (model MKJ39170828 available from overseas https://pclinkshop.com/products/b08ydjlhcf )
  2. Alternatively you can do what I did and use an IR blaster/app to simulate it. I have a SwitchBot hub IR, I used an older LG remote configuration.
  3. You can also apparently use an app called AnyMote and you can pair it with an IR blaster like BROADLINK RM4. They’re available in SA - https://eiferer.co.za/products/rm4c-mini-universal-wifi-ir-remote-new
  4. A simpler alternative may be this app - but I didn’t have an Android, and also not sure if it needs a special android IR-capable phone Lg Service Remote Control – Apps on Google Play
  5. So, any way that you do it, you hold down the OK button for 5 seconds.
  6. It brings up a box on the TV to put in the code - the code 0413 works for me.
  7. You then go to the Area Code settings (
    )
  8. Take a note of your area code before you change anything.
  9. I changed mine to the UK. The code was 3122.
  10. Hey presto, the tv now thinks it’s in the UK. You can now go through the whole rigmarole of linking Alexa to the tv. You get the ThinQ skill on Alexa and it has instructions for how to do it.
  11. I had to sign up for a new LG account because my previous one was linked to SA. And I had to set up the ThinQ app again with this new account.
  12. It now works fine for me. I can control tv with my Alexa. DSTV now and Showmax and all my SA apps still work.
  13. A small niggle - have noticed the tv is a bit laggier than usual. Not sure if this will go away after the software update it wants to do.
  14. It’s not massively worse. Plus now you can just ask Alexa to open Netflix so you don’t have to scroll around!

So a bit of a pain, but if you’re used to manipulating regions to get Alexa to work in SA, you’re probably used to this.