Colsuldel

Thanx, Good read!
looking forward to part two.

I will be heading down this route in the next
few months to replace the 2mbps ADSL.

/sub

Shalin_ZN

Expert Member
Excellent write up, informative and quite funny.

Really enjoyed reading it, looking forward to part 2.

MickeyD

RIP
Hey Nitro... I still have to write Part 2 :) But I'll post it here as soon as it's done.
Hi Lawrence

Please post it in this thread. I have already applied sticky tape to this one and will edit your thread title once part two is posted.

Thanks!!

MickZA

Executive Member
Thanks Lawrence, very informative and I love your writing style :)

Looking forward to part 2.

DERoestorf

Good Article, but flawed information provided by Webafrica guy

"He said that depending on the area it could be another provider (e.g. Vumatel, Fibrehoods, Frogfoot, or Octotel) and that Telkom/Openserve is the only provider to serve my area currently. He mentioned that it doesn’t matter who the provider is — technically they’re all the same and I don’t need to worry about that."

There is a major difference between Openserve and the rest, as Openserve interaction with ISP's contains IPC, which makes Fibre way more expensive. Something I think he should have mentioned. Technically, that is a massive difference, and not a small one as he want to make it out to me, in my mind.

sybawoods

Expert Member

kang

Nice read. It was so refreshing to read something that was written properly.
Do you work from home? You're fortunate to be available for when the installers come knocking.

donn_edwards

Here is my simplifed setup guide for once the equipment has been installed: Vumatel and Cool Ideas: A setup guide

I use Cool Ideas because they are my new ISP, thanks to the wierd FTTH pricing structure of MWEB. I think the procedure would be much the same with any other Vumatel ISP.

My writing style isn't as good as Lawrence, but I hope it's readable and informative.

Good Article, but flawed information provided by Webafrica guy

There is a major difference between Openserve and the rest, as Openserve interaction with ISP's contains IPC, which makes Fibre way more expensive. Something I think he should have mentioned. Technically, that is a massive difference, and not a small one as he want to make it out to me, in my mind.
Thanks for the extra info DERoestorf! I wasn't aware of IPC but busy reading about it now :)

Curious to know whether there was any trenching done in the street directly outside your home? Or was the fibre laid in some other way?
No there wasn't any trenching. Telkom had previously installed the main fibre lines in the estate, which ended at the nearest manhole. All that needed to be done in my case was to draw a cable from my house to that nearest manhole, where they connect it up to the fibre splitter or whatever they call it.

Nice read. It was so refreshing to read something that was written properly.
Do you work from home? You're fortunate to be available for when the installers come knocking.
Thanks kang :) Yeah I can work from any location. Most of the time the installers would call me first then I'd just pop back home to oversee things... and to take pics for my blog post! ;)

jcheek

Expert Member
Hey, Lawrence here... I wrote the 2007 sticky "Lawrence's Guide to Ordering Home DSL" which has since had 99k views here on MyBroadband.

I've just written "Getting Fibre Installed in South Africa — The Ultimate Guide: Part 1" - hope you enjoy and find it useful!
A great read! Well done.
This is written primarily from an "estate" / gated community perspective, but very relevant.

... I still have to write Part 2 :) But I'll post it here as soon as it's done.
There've been several excellent - albeit informal - "install blogs" written on MyBB.

While waiting for Part 2, and in addition to the blogs already linked here, readers can head on over to the Telkom-based FTTH in Pretoria thread for some additional insights into the emotional rollercoaster ride that is "ordering Telkom FTTH" ! Even though it's specific to Telkom/OpenServe, and to Pretoria, that thread has also garnered some 90k reads in its 20-month existence, an indication of how quickly FTTH is taking off now.

DERoestorf highlighted the very important issue of IPConnect sitting between OpenServe and the "independent" ISPs, which has also been raised in that thread.