Getting married in court!

Batista

Executive Member
Anyone keen to share their experiences in SA with regards to this?We are seriously considering this because we would rather redo our kitchen and go on a long honeymoon then deal with the headaches and costs of a wedding.

Can anyone recommend a lawyer to help us draft the ANC with accrual in the Helderberg region?Not too expensive pls...:D

Thanks!

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Anyone keen to share their experiences in SA with regards to this?We are seriously considering this because we would rather redo our kitchen and go on a long honeymoon then deal with the headaches and costs of a wedding.

Can anyone recommend a lawyer to help us draft the ANC with accrual in the Helderberg region?Not too expensive pls...:D

Thanks!

A civil marriage is no longer performed in court, you need to make an appointment with the marriage officer at your nearest Home Affairs office where do they will do the ceremony. Myself and my wife got married at Home Affairs. It's not exactly glamorous, but they were efficient and courteous.

Batista

Executive Member
A civil marriage is no longer performed in court, you need to make an appointment with the marriage officer at your nearest Home Affairs office where do they will do the ceremony. Myself and my wife got married at Home Affairs. It's not exactly glamorous, but they were efficient and courteous.

Thanks!

KaMoS

Expert Member
A friend of my sister did it, it's cheap and quick. As mentioned above, you need to do it at Home Affairs.

The friend had a braai with some close friends and they've been in Spain on Honeymoon since then (1 month).

Praeses

Expert Member
Can't a reverend just do it without the whole ceremony and things? Just wondering.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Got married at the Home Affairs office way back in 2000... had to use two key rings as I've forgotten to bring the rings with :eek: :D

Defib

Expert Member
One can no longer get married in court. We tried in 2011. However my brother did in 2007. These days you get married @ home affairs. What we did was, a friend of ours is a marriage officer and he married us at my parents home. Much better, and it was free :) Spend money on your honeymoon, not wedding

Batista

Executive Member
Can't a reverend just do it without the whole ceremony and things? Just wondering.

Interesting, can i get a captain of a ship to marry us privately?Or someone who is licensed to marry people?

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master

Thanks!

I did it for my first marriage. It was held in a small little office in the Strand Library. You need to bring a witness and you have to have rings.

With ANC contract, please, pretty please, double triple peer check that your names are 100% correct. The screwed up my (current) wife's name and its now a ballache to correct it.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Interesting, can i get a captain of a ship to marry us privately?Or someone who is licensed to marry people?

Yes but its done in international waters which means jack. You still need to do it in court (justice of peace). My boet-in-law got married on cruise liner.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
He did on the MSC Sinfonia. He negotiated a better deal with his honeymoon suite as he got family to book a couple of cabins.

I have heard that you can basically have a free wedding on a ship. They will give you a party if you just get your friends and family to come on the cruise.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
I have heard that you can basically have a free wedding on a ship. They will give you a party if you just get your friends and family to come on the cruise.

http://www.msccruises.co.za/za_en/An-MSC-Cruise/Special-Occasions/Ceremonies-On-Board.aspx

I see its R4K for a bridal package but they (my boet-in-law) got married on deck and I think they paid something like R900 (probably for the flowers and live music) else it would have been free. This was a few years back and I did not go on the cruise.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
We decided to get married the morning.

So I called a buddy of mine's father who's a marriage officer. He told me his lunch is at 1400 and we should pop in. So we went to buy two rings and waited for him at his house.

He married us within about 10 minutes and he went back to work.