Getting married in court!

3WA

Honorary Master
Randburg Home Affairs. The waiting time for an appointment was two weeks. We needed to bring two witnesses and our ANC. They took us to a back room, said some very touching words, declared us man and wife, and then lost all our papers so that our actual marriage certificate was only ready a year later.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Anyone keen to share their experiences in SA with regards to this?We are seriously considering this because we would rather redo our kitchen and go on a long honeymoon then deal with the headaches and costs of a wedding.

Can anyone recommend a lawyer to help us draft the ANC with accrual in the Helderberg region?Not too expensive pls...:D

Thanks!

We used a reverend two days before, as the wedding venue was not open to the public and a marriage there would not have been legal.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
One can no longer get married in court. We tried in 2011. However my brother did in 2007. These days you get married @ home affairs. What we did was, a friend of ours is a marriage officer and he married us at my parents home. Much better, and it was free :) Spend money on your honeymoon, not wedding

Public wedding is just a pageant and a waste of money. Wife's been trying for years to convince me she wants another one ( renewal of vows ). I'm dodging that bullet quickly!

atomcrusher

Expert Member
Randburg Home Affairs. The waiting time for an appointment was two weeks. We needed to bring two witnesses and our ANC. They took us to a back room, said some very touching words, declared us man and wife, and then lost all our papers so that our actual marriage certificate was only ready a year later.
Damn .. that ruling party demands their share of everything!

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
I got married in court. Was quick. Just the way I wanted it. Had snacks at my parents home. Still haven't been on honeymoon....been married for 24 years.

How do you declare a holiday a honeymoon? What makes it different from any other?

chrisc

Executive Member
Any marriage officer can do it for you. Priest, rabbi, captain of a ship. The Methodist Church priest up the road from where I live has done it in his office, I took some photos of the event, before the bride rushed off to the maternity hospital

chrisc

Executive Member
I got married in court. Was quick. Just the way I wanted it. Had snacks at my parents home. Still haven't been on honeymoon....been married for 24 years.

How do you declare a holiday a honeymoon? What makes it different from any other?

Its supposed to be the first time you "do it".

Necuno

Court Jester
Any marriage officer can do it for you. Priest, rabbi, captain of a ship. The Methodist Church priest up the road from where I live has done it in his office, I took some photos of the event, before the bride rushed off to the maternity hospital

that... was a quicky indeed.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Marriage officers

A marriage may be performed only by a marriage officer. All magistrates and justices of the peace are automatically marriage officers. The Minister of Home Affairs (or an official authorised to act on behalf of the Minister) can appoint other civil service employees as marriage officers. In practice, many employees in local offices of the Department of Home Affairs are appointed as marriage officers.

The Minister of Home Affairs can also appoint ministers of religion or other religious leaders as marriage officers. The text of the Marriage Act limits these appointments to Christian, Jewish or Muslim clergy or clergy of "an Indian religion". (Ministers of other religions can be appointed marriage officers under the Civil Union Act.) A religious marriage officer may refuse to perform a marriage that does not comply with his or her religion's doctrines.

When a person who is not legally a marriage officer acts as one, under a good faith belief that he or she is one, the Minister of Home Affairs can retrospectively validate the marriages performed by him or her. Similarly, when a marriage is performed by a person who is not a marriage officer, but the spouses had a good faith belief that he or she was one, the Minister may retrospectively validate the marriage.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_Act,_1961_(South_Africa)