Getting your parcels from online shopping through the Post Office

saor

Honorary Master
MyBroadband asked some of South Africa’s largest e-commerce players what they think the Post Office should do to win the trust of online shoppers and companies in South Africa.
That the Post Office works. They don't need to do anything more magical than receive a parcel, process it and get it delivered / send out collection slips. Basically: Perform one of their most basic functions properly.

b166er

That the Post Office works. They don't need to do anything more magical than receive a parcel, process it and get it delivered / send out collection slips. Basically: Perform one of their most basic functions properly.
Exactly this. How can a parcel take two days to cross continental North America, get do RSA and is then stuck for months somewhere in parcel limbo?

I ordered a book from Amazon in November 2015 and it is still not here 3.5 months later. I will claim from Amazon for parcel loss in the next week or two, and then, once again I am placing SAPO one customer closer to a blacklisting.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
The post office staff should go to the trade unions that was behind the strikes and ask them for the way forward! The unions must give the new direction and create business and opportunities for the post office to grow!

My parcel from overseas (shipped on 1st November) went missing and all of a sudden sent a beacon of live last week as it landed. According to Deutsche Post, the parcel arrived in SA on 4th November. According to SAPO, they have a tracking number, but can not locate the parcel.

My other parcel was shipped from Singapore on 23/01, arrived according to Singapore Post on 27/01, but only arrived according to SAPO on 2nd Feb. Said parcel is now stuck with customs since 8th Feb (but untraceable - i.e. no-one knows where it is). A parcel from Capetown to Johannesburg took 2 months to deliver (and half the time staff was unwilling to help trace the parcel).

Considering that fulfilment is a very labour intensive process and that SA is plagued with labour issues, I highly doubt that SAPO will ever get this right (unless they get rid of unions and strikes altogether - but then they are still faced with theft).

konfab

Honorary Master
^This

With online shopping increase the volume of packages being delivered, the Post Office could rank in millions by just doing the very basics. I would much prefer to pick up the stuff I order at a Post Office than wait for courier.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
accidentally put the wrong postal code on paypal for an ebay purchase (cheap electronic bits). been to that post office three times now and went through their book (why the hell are they still using a BOOK to capture parcels?) and never even spotted my name, so that package is gone. second time i did it right and got my items. coworker also bought stuff at the same time as me last year and he never received his stuff.

post office is unreliable..

abbott10k

I wouldn't touch SAPO with a 100 foot pole! I'd rather pay for door to door & be able to track my parcel.

StevenC

Expert Member
The only time those lazy bums at the Post Office come to work is to have a good old dig through the pile of undelivered parcels to see if there is anything they can take home.

Solution: Fire the entire lot. Rehire based on if they belong to unions, strike history and attendance records.
Redesign the Post Office from the ground up, to bring technology such as parcel tracking (very modern, so efficient, wow) and proper delivery times.
Security scans in and out, any personal effects to be cataloged.

If courier companies can do it, why can't the post office?

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
I ordered 5 items off ebay in December and January.

This morning the last one arrived.

5 out of 5 is not a bad score :)

All delivered via SAPO...

deweyzeph

Executive Member
They would also need to offer same day or next day delivery. Personally I usually don't order anything locally if I can't get it today or tomorrow. Takealot is great for this, somehow they get it right with their delivery services.

Valerion

Expert Member
International delivery is a joke. Bought an item recently, and after months got a notice from the vendor that they received it back as undeliverable. I'd rather pay extra and use a courier. At least the courier puts in an effort to notify me that something has arrived.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
International delivery is a joke. Bought an item recently, and after months got a notice from the vendor that they received it back as undeliverable. I'd rather pay extra and use a courier. At least the courier puts in an effort to notify me that something has arrived.
And couriers handle all the customs nonsense for you too.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
I ordered 5 items off ebay in December and January.

This morning the last one arrived.

5 out of 5 is not a bad score :)

All delivered via SAPO...
In the past week I've also just received a spate of eBay free shipping parcels, about 7 of them.

I think the new guy is getting salaries paid, that's enough to keep things chugging along for now.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
And couriers handle all the customs nonsense for you too.
The last few items I've got through SAPO that got caught by customs, I just paid it at the counter when I picked up the parcel... it's not like the old days where you had to drive in to some dodgy part of town and get your parcel.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
I ordered a book from Amazon in November 2015 and it is still not here 3.5 months later. I will claim from Amazon for parcel loss in the next week or two, and then, once again I am placing SAPO one customer closer to a blacklisting.
I thought Amazon stopped using SAPO years ago and only do courier now? I get a lot from them and it's always delivered by courier. Takes 2 weeks or so, it's obviously on the Courier's slow route, but it gets here.

maumau

Honorary Master
Only ever use couriers there is no hope for SAPO. Between theft, corruption and unreliability it's gonna be screwed.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Only ever use couriers there is no hope for SAPO. Between theft, corruption and unreliability it's gonna be screwed.
What about low value items? Have you ever used free shipping on eBay to get little things like USB cables, adapters, small electronic components? In my experience, they're 100% reliable, but slow (4-6 weeks average). Courier is simply not an option for so many things, we need SAPO to work.