Geyser Timer self-install invalidate certification?

RuhanSA079

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place for this type of question.

I want to install a geyser timer, with permission from the homeowner (Renting). I heard stories about the certification of the DB box, the grand bits, but it boils down to: "I cannot install a timer or replace any other breaker in the DB box or even open the DB box" It will invalidate the certification. Also, can you drive a small geyser (not sure what kw rating) from a 20A breaker?

My intention is to have the timer to turn on the geyser only for 1.5/2 hours on before showering, and when I want hot water for the dishes, etc.

Having an electrician just install the timer, and nothing else is unnecessary.
I have the tools and stuff to do this myself.

If it is not possible, then I have to look elsewhere for another option. (9g servo and arduino with RTC seems like a cool option to switch on/off the geyser breaker.)

krieg

Depending on the wire gauge your geyser's element needs to be less than 2400 watt on a 20 amp breaker.
The owner is responsible for the CoC, best to get an electrician.

SAguy

Expert Member
The most diy thing you're allowed to do if you're not an electrician is change a light bulb, just about anything else requires an electrician technically.

Voicy

Honorary Master
I don't think you're approaching this from the right angle if your goal is to save electricity.

As with a panel heater, it uses less energy to maintain a certain temperature throughout than it does to bring a cold volume up to a certain temperature multiple times.

You could always try and turn down the geyser to a lower, but tolerable heat. A more cost effective approach would be to thermally insulate the geyser so it retains heat better, thereby relieving the workload on the heating element.

e.g.:

https://www.isotherm.co.za/diy-insulate-geyser/

EDIT: Seems I've been mistaken:

https://www.property24.com/articles/7-myths-debunked-about-switching-off-your-geyser/24814

Last edited:

Fox1

Expert Member
You can install a Geyser Wise timer without fiddling with the DB box. You can phone Geyser Wise tomorrow and they'll help you out. More importantly, get a geyser blanket. Those things save power by retaining heat.

RuhanSA079

Since I am making/creating lots of electronics projects, maybe I will shoe-horn a ESP8266 with Sonoff tasmota firmware in the timer itself, and control it via MQTT. Much easier to set the schedules on node-red, or on Tasmota webpage, than to change the times on the timer itself which can take a while...

Thanks for the insights, advice and recommendations.

As jy nog 'n eiertjie wil lê, feel free to do so.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
A geyser wise would be your best option also because it can be installed in a convenient place. And you get a CoC

satanboy

Psychonaut seven

Having an electrician just install the timer, and nothing else is unnecessary.
I have the tools and stuff to do this myself.
Just because you can press the red switch at Eskom, doesn't mean you are allowed to.