• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Giant black granite sarcophagus unearthed in Egypt

Sugarman

Making Sugar
Egypt sarcophagus: What happened to ancient mummy inside ‘CURSED’ tomb?

EGYPTIAN archaeologists who discovered the black sarcophagus in July have shed light on the ancient horrors of brain surgery, buried with the coffin’s mummified remains.
The “sinister” granite tomb was dug out in Alexandria City where some believe Alexander the Great himself is buried.

The exciting discovery was met with cheers by the Egyptian Council of Antiquities but others remained wary of what might be lurking inside.

Archaeologists estimate the 9.8-foot-long black tomb dates back to the Egyptian Ptolemaic period, sometime between 350BC and 30BC.

The sarcophagus remained carefully interned in the ground for two millennia and many now claim it should have remained that way.

People took to social media in the past days to humorously protest the opening of the sarcophagus.

Many referenced the hit 1999 film “The Mummy” as the perfect example of how things go wrong when people meddle with ancient, sealed tombs.

David Milner, editor at Gamer Informer Australia, tweeted: “As a fan of Brendan Fraser’s ‘The Mummy’, I say don’t open the cursed sarcophagus.

“But as someone who saw Tom Cruise’s ‘The Mummy’, I say do it. We deserve the horrors that await.”

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Can’t buried just mean it was underground in a closed room as often occurs with sarcophagus?

That’s my understanding of it, not that it was covered in soil.

bury
ˈbɛri/Submit
verb
put or hide underground.
"he buried the box in the back garden"
cover (someone or something) completely.
"the countryside has been buried under layers of concrete"