Gift of the Givers pulls out of dry Makhanda, says other companies to be paid for its work

Maybe quote the whole thing.
Bredell also disputed this, saying that the bulk of the water that the Gift of the Givers has been distributing in the province is in fact water that the Western Cape Government has either received via donations or acquired for times of crisis.

He also responded to the claim that the province was not prepared for the drought outside the City of Cape Town.

"At times the province has called on the Gift of the Givers and multiple other partners, to assist with transport and distribution. Where partners are unable to assist, we approach other partners," said Bredell.

"The Western Cape is a large province and the drought still afflicts large parts of the province. The fact that we have been coordinating this massive relief effort with success over the past three years, further shows the Gift of the Givers' comments up for what it is."

Bredell further stated that the Gift of the Givers are not contracted by the Western Cape government, but are welcome to put in a request for funding.

"In addition it must be noted that the Gift of the Givers are partners and certainly do not help in isolation. They are not contracted in any manner and therefore no payment is due.

"They are also the only partner to make requests for money to help. Nonetheless, I am more than happy to assist the institution in this regard at any time as long as it is within the letter of the law and with full transparency of where funding goes and how it is allocated."

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
So wait...what is the definition of a gift? Seems like someone needs a name change.
They're paying others for the word GotG did, and it was also expected that the municipality pays for the work of GotG. If they paid no one, then there might be an argument if the municipality didn't receive funding to pay GotG in the first place.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Straight from the Gift of the givers website
Our assistance is purely humanitarian and unconditional. We assist irrespective of race, religion, colour, class, political affiliation or geographical boundary. We are entirely neutral in our approach to mankind in need, are non-judgemental and have an open-minded approach to all situations. We work with governments to get our assistance delivered but do not align ourselves politically to any party. We have an excellent partnership relationship with the South African Government for the delivery of our local projects, as well as for foreign aid delivery. Our activities have been profiled extensively by the media both locally and internationally.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Nobody is forcing them to do it. Hence the work "charity" organisation. Did they do it because of charity or because of the promised payment? Would they have not done it if they were not promised money?
Probably not to this scale, they did a lot of work.

ponder

Honorary Master
Daylight robbery of the worst order,private companies(aka tenderpreneurs probably linked to municipality officials) to be paid for work a charity organization did to help people in dire need,what the actual F....?!:oops:

How low can you actually go?
Lower that bar and hold onto my beer...

Mila

Honorary Master
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...ys-other-companies-paid-for-its-work-20190516

So municipalty is actually supposed to pay charity orgnisations for charity work ? :unsure:
Donations. That or the tooth fairy.
Or get paid for the work they do?
They still provide a service. Its not for free.

Non Profit means not for profit.
It doesn’t mean they make money from thin air.

I work for a charity organization.
This attitude pisses me off.
You get called in to do work
You quote what it will cost ( hugely deduced as we negotiate better rates and give customers tax benefits)
And when times comes to pay we get this shyty attitude.
You get donations you should do this for free

Umm no.

TysonRoux

Expert Member
Or get paid for the work they do?
They still provide a service. Its not for free.

Non Profit means not for profit.
It doesn’t mean they make money from thin air.

I work for a charity organization.
This attitude pisses me off.
You get called in to do work
You quote what it will cost ( hugely deduced as we negotiate better rates and give customers tax benefits)
And when times comes to pay we get this shyty attitude.
You get donations you should do this for free

Umm no.
Because it leaves less in the trough for the swine snouts.

isie

Honorary Master
You are being obtuse and asinine.
The crisis was immediate and payment to the municipality was possibly forthcoming , GOG did the work based on the agreement that they will get paid if or when the emergency funds were received even if funds did not cover their expenses. If the emergency funds were not received it would of been ok but here the municipality was not only paid but then went on to renege on the deal when they were paid which is bad enough but then went on to pay other suppliers the money for not doing Jack **** - ya i would put up a stink. - if you don't see what was done as wrong then You sir are the one being Asinine

Sollie

Expert Member
Nope
BoreHole Drilling Grease
( "Lube" -- was ALL .... STOLEN )

MAKHANDA -
The government has agreed to pay Gift of the Givers for its intervention in Makhanda.
The organisation has drilled about 15 boreholes in the Eastern Cape town but abandoned operations last week over non-payment for services.

Government agrees to pay Gift of the Givers for Makhanda intervention
:thumbsup:

Why does it always have to be so difficult? It seems you always have to oust these shytes before they do the right thing, it's obviously not natural to them. I wonder if it it's the typical ex-MK types that would have benefited.

TysonRoux

Expert Member
GOG is by no means my favorite organization, but they were 100% in the right on this occasion, and this exposes the level of corruption in local government, yet those dirty bastards will retain their positions and find other ways to loot.

GOG used to their support and logistics to respond immediately to a crisis, knowing that the ones that should be taking care of the situation are more interested in lining their pockets than taking care of their votas and if they did eventually respond it would have been months or years later and be inadequate.